Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On a quest for the fastest bj 24 ever

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I just ran my Shockwave at 44mph today on 4S and all I could think about was it launching onto shore and smashing into pieces like yours. Little boats going too fast is fun, regardless.
    Couldn't agree more. I put humpty dupmty back together again and am headed to the lake right now. If it flips I would be shocked if it holds together.

I made 40 MPH with my Blackjack 24 earlier today. I can't believe it.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Quote Originally Posted by DBJr View Post
    I made 40 MPH with my Blackjack 24 earlier today. I can't believe it.
    That's awesome man. What did you change to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by RuntheraceAMC View Post
    That's awesome man. What did you change to get there?
    I used the Leo 3650 2750kv motor and the Octura M440 prop. Definitely a HUGE change over the 2000kv stock motor.

Nice calm water as the water fountain in the pond is not currently working. A perfect opportunity to attempt a speed run.

The app I used is DigiHUD if anyone is interested. Seems to be accurate. I tested it out in my truck yesterday driving down the highway at 50 MPH. Was right in line with what my truck speedometer said.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3

Hull cracked for the full length. Deck shattered. Lid shattered. Electronics are fine. I think it's time to get the BJ 29.
    I don't understand why you would want another RTR. You still have all the upgraded gear from the last one, why would you waste your money on something that is too weak again, and that comes with gear that's worse than what you already have? A quality hull would be no more expensive than a RTR, transfering your gear over is no harder than stripping gear out of a RTR reinforcing it and reinstalling it, and you would have a much better boat at the end of it.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I don't understand why you would want another RTR. You still have all the upgraded gear from the last one, why would you waste your money on something that is too weak again, and that comes with gear that's worse than what you already have? A quality hull would be no more expensive than a RTR, transfering your gear over is no harder than stripping gear out of a RTR reinforcing it and reinstalling it, and you would have a much better boat at the end of it.
    Can you suggest a cat hull for less than $250 that will let me get into the 60's and 70's?

Hydro&Marine Agitator, Freya, Supercat, Maritimo. Chinese splashes of the Agitator and Freya are available if you are really cheap.
    MHZ BTM Marine, Mystic C5000.
    Aeromarine Mean Machine, Sprintcat .21/45. More roundy round than zippy zip so may take more tuning, but people have had both into the 70s.
    HPR LMT99. Slightly over budget at 270 but worth every penny.

Hydro&Marine Agitator, Freya, Supercat, Maritimo. Chinese splashes of the Agitator and Freya are available if you are really cheap.
    Aeromarine Mean Machine, Sprintcat .21/45. More roundy round than zippy zip so may take more tuning, but people have had both into the 70s.
    I've been looking at the Delta Force Explorer 36. I hear it's not good for racing because it doesn't corner well at speed but I'm just doing sport running and I like speed. Seems to fit that. What do you think?

I don't know that hull, my first thought is that 36" sounds very big for 4s, but the Freya and its clone are 37" and so narrow that they go well on 4s.

I'm running 5 and 6s

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I just ran my Shockwave at 44mph today on 4S and all I could think about was it launching onto shore and smashing into pieces like yours. Little boats going too fast is fun, regardless.
    44 is cake for the shockwave. I had mine at around 64. Probably close to that hills limit lol.

I know someone who has a 70+ mph bj 24 (geico). I'll try to find a video of it. 50 should be pretty easy.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here's the video

https://youtu.be/G16ujPtHpME
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Went with the delta force explorer 36. It looks incredible and I saw some videos of it running on the Same motor I have. Seemed to corner fine and handle the straight line slows very well. Bought everything I need to build it. So long blackjack. Great boat but After breaking 3 hulls I've learned my need for speed was writing checks my hull could not cash.

how do you install the thru hull water pickups? Im sure you used some type of epoxy in order to seat them. Have you ever had one come loose?

Used a dremel tool to make the initial cuts and made small corrections till I could force it into a snug fit then epoxy or JB weld from the inside. Most thru hills are made with a notch to allow it to sit on the inside of the hull but be flush with the exterior

Used a dremel tool to make the initial cuts and made small corrections till I could force it into a snug fit then epoxy or JB weld from the inside. Most thru hills are made with a notch to allow it to sit on the inside of the hull but be flush with the exterior
    Ok thank you!! I just ordered a bj24 and wanted to install these thru hull pickups. One for motor and one for esc. I like this the best because they look clean. Just wasnt to sure how you guys were installing them!! Thanks again!!

RuntheraceAMC

Do you have a vid of the leo 4072? I just ordered the ose raider 150 and the motor will be my next purchase. Was thinking about the 2200kv but read where u went with the 1850 i think? Would u make the same purchase again or go with the higher kv? My prop is the x642.

What hull? Bj 24?

Bj24

Idk dude. I made a lot of mistakes with my bj. If I had to do it all over again I would do a 3674 Leo at 2200 or a TP 3630 (36mm by 61mm)at 2540kv. This for several reasons. Yes it was stupid fast on the Leo 4074 on 5s much less 6s but there were several problems: weight (of the motor and the battery), fitting the motor, balancing weight side to side, keeping the prop in the water and too much torque leterally twisting the boat's position in the water.

I think the max the boat can handle would be the 3674 or TP 3630. The TP would keep the weight to a minimum and I would never do more than 4s. Get a battery rated for 40c/ 4000-5000 mah. Don't go more than 5000mah or the battery will weigh too much. Prop? The 642 would be a nice choice or 640. I have become fond of the CNC props but I wouldn't do more than a 1.6 43mm, smaller props for longer runs.

That raider 150 is a beast for the money. I have about 20 runs on my DFE 37 with twin Leo 4092s running 1.6 46mm props. No issues so far.

If you are going to drop this money into your bj 24 I would reinforce the sponsons as far forward as you can to the transom with thin strips of fiberglass in the joints of the sponsons. A couple bad blow overs and the joints will split.

I have trouble downloading videos here. Pm me your number and I will send you videos of my bj 24 on a Leo 3660 and 4074

I have ordered the x642 prop. it will be balanced, sharpened and polished. Im really not looking to run 6s but want the option just to say that i can and if i get a wild hair i might even try it on 6s. But im really looking at only running 4s. What do you think about the Leo 3674 2200kv vs Leo X2 3674 2650kv. The x2 is only 5 grams heavier, is there a noticable difference in the X2 motors? Also is there plenty of room for the 74mm can and can you use the existing mount or do you have to buy other parts to mount these motors to the flex shaft? Also do you have your vids on youtube?

now that i look more into the TP's im leaning toward them. IDK which one im going to go with. Do you think the TP3630 at 2540kv could handle 6S?
    Last edited by MCcrawlers; 02-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Someone stop the insanity. The Blackjack 24 is not, nor ever intended to be a fast boat. I started with one, made a few fun upgrades, and quickly realized it was time to move on to a bigger, stronger hull. As already demonstrated in this thread, you can stuff all the money you can handle into that hull, and at any time, it can all go up in flames or simply sink to the bottom when the hull disintegrates.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Man its all for fun. Its a risk you take when upgrading anything. Its all about seeing how much something can handle and when you reach the peak, enjoy it. When you get tired or want to go more then upgrade your base. If it fails, oh well, build another one that is the great thing about this hobby!

The x2's are actually down in max wattage by 20-30%. Wattage equals horse power so I would stay away from the X2's

The TP is actually less wattage but it's also a smaller motor. The next size up in the TP would be rediculous. I would not do more than the Leo 2650 or more than the TP 2540. You'll lose torque and the Rpms will be so high you'll need to upgrade to a .187 flex shaft. Believe me I've tried.

As for videos I don't have anything on YouTube but I can text you videos of different setups. Just private message me

As for fweasal's comments. I agree to an extent. That was my experience and I had fun with the black jack but I am having more fun now putting more speed into a hull that can handle it.

That said I can appreciate wanting to make that little BJ fly because I was caught up in doing that myself

were did you get trim tabs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12