Thread: Octura X442 Lynx cut on an OPC VS1 tunnel

Default Octura X442 Lynx cut on an OPC VS1 tunnel

Wondering if anyone has ever tried an Octura X442 Lynx cut prop on An OPC VS 1 Tunnel.
    Thanks,
    Bob

What is a Lynx cut? Google isn't giving me any results.

Question

Perhaps he used this to modify the prop?

Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm not sure myself. That's why I was asking. I think maybe it's something Shoboat ( Mark Sholund) does. It really doesn't matter at this point. The prop was sold before I could figure it out. I thought it had something to do with Lynx tunnel hulls. I just don't know.
    Thanks for the efforts,
    Bob

Das Boata,
    Chris any insight here. Also do you have anything for an OPC VS1 tunnel?
    Bob

Lynx cut,, I would think is a cut style that suits the lynx hull,, as far as OPC hull back in the day they like the Octura 1700 series,,, now a days op use x series ABC and PS props on them , i would suggest a 1614/3 chopper,, I have in stock

Please, remember Bob, that you are running an FE tunnel... not a Nitro tunnel. I can tell you from a vast amount of personal experience that what works well on a Nitro tunnel won't work worth a hill of beans on an FE Tunnel.

The ABC 42x55 I sent with the boat is a REALLY solid prop on that boat, if you are intending on turning it well. Other options would be the M445 or a back-cut X445.

However, if you are willing to push it and get serious about tuning the boat, then I'd get myself an ABC 1715-17-45(2) and start trying to make that work. It will require all kinds of adjustments to the CG and the lower unit height and angle, but I've seen it work very well. Doesn't handle as well, but it's fast. It's ALMOST as fast as my Dragon or Lynx with that ABC 42x55 around a race course in race traffic. By itself, it's probably faster.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Please, remember Bob, that you are running an FE tunnel... not a Nitro tunnel. I can tell you from a vast amount of personal experience that what works well on a Nitro tunnel won't work worth a hill of beans on an FE Tunnel.

The ABC 42x55 I sent with the boat is a REALLY solid prop on that boat, if you are intending on turning it well. Other options would be the M445 or a back-cut X445.

However, if you are willing to push it and get serious about tuning the boat, then I'd get myself an ABC 1715-17-45(2) and start trying to make that work. It will require all kinds of adjustments to the CG and the lower unit height and angle, but I've seen it work very well. Doesn't handle as well, but it's fast. It's ALMOST as fast as my Dragon or Lynx with that ABC 42x55 around a race course in race traffic. By itself, it's probably faster.
    There you go Bob cant beat experience with the hull !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    There you go Bob cant beat experience with the hull !!!
    Perhaps. However, I will say this... for some reason, when others try to get the performance I've gotten from my 42x55, they can't. My setups/driving style may be just unique enough to make it work for me.

The 1715-17-45(2) CLL, however, I've seen that work on other hulls really well, and I did use the 1716-10-50(2) CLL on my Lynx when I established the first P-LTD 2-LAP record. Boat handled like crap, though. Too much lift and blade area in that prop. The 1715-17-45(2) seems to be sweeter, but still requires a considerably different setup than I presently run, and, well frankly, my boat is so fast the way it is, I just didn't want to mess with anything.

Tunnels really aren't a good 'copycat' class. You really need to dial in your own setup. Way more variables than other type of hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Perhaps. However, I will say this... for some reason, when others try to get the performance I've gotten from my 42x55, they can't. My setups/driving style may be just unique enough to make it work for me.

The 1715-17-45(2) CLL, however, I've seen that work on other hulls really well, and I did use the 1716-10-50(2) CLL on my Lynx when I established the first P-LTD 2-LAP record. Boat handled like crap, though. Too much lift and blade area in that prop. The 1715-17-45(2) seems to be sweeter, but still requires a considerably different setup than I presently run, and, well frankly, my boat is so fast the way it is, I just didn't want to mess with anything.

Tunnels really aren't a good 'copycat' class. You really need to dial in your own setup. Way more variables than other type of hulls.
    No Disrespect Darin,,if it works on the boat for you or me,, it should work for everyone,, there tuning and trimming skills are not the boat or props fault all things being equal

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    No Disrespect Darin,,if it works on the boat for you or me,, it should work for everyone,, there tuning and trimming skills are not the boat or props fault all things being equal
    I suppose. All things aren't "equal", however, even between two of the same boat. We have THREE other Lynx's in our club, two that have been running as long as mine, and neither of the other two work with my setup. My CG is different, and my trim settings are different, and neither of the others go like mine does with the 42x55. Maybe I just got lucky, but that would mean twice now, because my Dragon M11 does the same thing, and the other Dragon M11 in our club is a DOG with my prop on it.

Either way, for a tunnel, driving style (timing, turn in rates, reaction times, etc.) all come into play. Boat needs to be tuned as such.

Darin and Chris,
    Thank you both for your input and insight. I really appreciate everything you guys have to say. The only reason I even asked about the Lynx cut at all, was because it was for sale cheap on another forum and I seem to remember it being associated with tunnel hulls. At any rate, it got sold well before I could get any answers. Please understand, I don't act rashly when it comes to this kind of thing. I always feel the more info I get from respected sources such as yourselves the better I feel I can tackle any task. Thanks again.
    Respectingly yours,
    Bob

The Lynx cut prop was a specific cut prop for the NITRO lynx hull. Probably would not have been a good prop for your boat or power plant. Im with Darin. My setup and driving style leads me to slightly different set ups then others with the same hull.

Robert Holland