Thread: Sailboats?

Default Sailboats?

I've used rc boats all my life but I've never tried out a rc sailboat. Recently saw someone using one and thought it might be fun. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations? Saw this page rcboatguide.com/best-rc-sailboat/ but I'm not to convince on the Joysway nor the Thunder Tiger.

Has anyone had experiences with them? The area where I live in has some pretty harsh winds so I need something sturdy.

Any recommendations or tips would be helpful thanks.

You need to select a size first . I used to be in an area where the club used 1 m sail boats. Soling was their brand of choice but I believe they went under. Aquacraft has a decent 1 m. I sold one to a guy once, fit and finish is nice, it's a fast boat but the ballast has a deeper draft than similar sized craft so if your pond is shallow you want to keep that in mind. The rigging is one of the more important parts you need to be able to adjust for conditions and if the hardware is cheap it may be difficult to keep tension on lines that need tension. It is much more of a relaxing pace than powered boats, but the competition can be equally exciting, I've seen plenty of deck to deck racing with sailboats.

I have a Dragonforce 65. It is actually pretty enjoyable to sail. I haven't had any issues with mine. It was easy to assemble, tying the little knots was challenging. You can get different size sails for it depending on wind conditions.

There is also the Dragonflite 95.

There are also series for racing them.

There are pretty good threads on them over at rcgroups.

https://radiosailing.net/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2437398
    Last edited by gman350; 09-18-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks for the help guys! Dragon force it is then!

There is a club around here that sails with them as well.

Not sure why I have such a horrible time linking stuff on this forum???