Thread: Barbwire hull, duck jet drive build

Default Barbwire hull, duck jet drive build

Started this build because I lost my mini v duck drive boat and wanted to try something different. I had already bought a pair of duck drives off of eBay. So I got a Barbwire hull from eBay and to work. So far I've disassembled the drive and gotten the dremel out to make the hole in the bottom for the suction of the drive and started the hole going out the transom. More to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Self righting jet boat? Should be a hoot. Keep us posted

Shaughnessy, I don't know if it will be self righting or not but we'all give it a shot.

Some more progress on the Barbwire project. Glued the drive in with IMG_0137.jpgshoe goo. Used a piece of 1/8" rod to line it up with the midline of the hull. After letting the glue set overnight I was able to mount the intake grille and nozzle. Then I was able to reassemble the drive with impeller and motor. Using a turnigy 2632 3400kv outrunner. I'll get some more done in the next couple of days.

More progress made on the Barbwire Jet boat. Put the 2 part foam flotation in the bow of the hull. Got the servo mounted and the mounts glued down. Servo is a Corona that's been waterproofed and I already had. Pushrod and rubber boot installed. Rx was waterproofed earlier and is the Atomik one for this boat. Rx was velcroed to the hull. I tried taping the antenna to the underside of the deck but that didn't work so I'll have to figure something else out. The 30a esc was also velcroed to the hull and cooling lines ran to it. The hatch arrived yesterday. I just have the drain plug to put into where the antenna hole was. Close to making a maiden run. Initial leak test showed a leak around the boot so I think I have that fixed now.

Interested to see it run. Looks like fun.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Tried the maiden run Friday and had mixed results. Sorry but no video. The hull was dry so my leak is definitely fixed. But while running there was different squeals heard. One was caused from the motor coupler being too close to the housing. Another one was caused when the impeller moved on the shaft back towards the motor. In the pictures I've tried to show where the impeller was hitting the inside of housing and how far back the impeller slid back on the shaft compared to where the impeller should have been. Obviously no glue was used when it was assembled. Also the water cooling was barely working so I tried drilling out the inside of the hole to see if that would improve it. Otherwise I'll have to make a different pickup.

IMG_0157.jpgIMG_0158.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0160.jpg

Video of the Barbwire hull w/duck drive. Does well on 2s battery. Impeller moves on 3s and causes screaming.

https://youtu.be/JEyB7DDBvcw