Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks THX-305, 30.5" Outboard Tunnel hull design/ build

Default ML Boatworks THX-305, 30.5" Outboard Tunnel hull design/ build

Well. some of you may have seen I have been playing around with a 38" and 50" Sport tunnel kit, and those designs are almost complete, so I decided I wanted to continue on with a 30" race FE tunnel design I have played around with for about a year. This is all new, and nothing like the last line of tunnels that PTI now owns, so this will require lots of testing, but I think its going to be a really nice layout for a small tunnel.Should be tons of room. I am working on the cowling design now, but the kit is complete and ready to build. I am not interested in doing other sizes of this tunnel, just this 30.5" FE hull is all I plan to do. To many other cool projects to work on! This is called the THX-305. Here are some 3d images of the hull kit. Enjoy, more soon, Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Well, here goes. I finished up in the garage last night, and pulled this kit out and worked on it till 1am. I have maybe 2 hours in it so far. Easiest tunnel build I have done. Really happy with the build so far, and cannot wait to see how it runs! Here are some pics:

This is where I stopped last night.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Using my portable flat board, and a piece of angle aluminum, you first add the cross members, and bow block plate:

Then start laminating your transom plates:

3rd and final plate:

Dry fit your middle, and outer forward to aft frames:

Following!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Looks like I lost some pics, but you then dry fit your radio box side plates, and inside deck forward to aft frame, and tack them in place, then slide crossmember plate "A" into the back, and glue in place.

Add the angled front radio box plate:

Now glue in the steering servo mount sides:

And the doubled servo mount top plates:

Now add the rear radio box hatch support plate:

Pop out the top and pitch it:

Sand the top of the transom and add the hatch deck:

Now repeat for the front hatch, and you will need to sand at an angle, the front end of the hatch recessed support to get it in place:

Sand the top of the radio box, and finally add the radio box front lid. (Be sure to remove the center of the recessed hatch support and discard.)

Here it is with the sponson frames tacked up. More on that later.

1/4" diameter dowels will ultimately be added in 3 locations, all the way through the hull, and they will be supported against a hoop system in the sponsons:

The new logo!

Started on the sponsons, here are some pics:

Basswood strips added:

-

-

Glue on the outer strip. The lower side lines up with the main support from from forward to aft.

-

Very pleased with the lines on this one!

-

Here is the cowling design I think I am going to do for this hull:

Sheeting templates made for the ride surfaces and sponson decks, and u can see the little rounded rear corner, I love little detailing, haha

The dowel lock loops work great keeping the sponsons square to the tunnel. You can see how well the ride pads sit on the granite board...dead square! Test fitting some recovery pads, they will be silicone on as i want to test various designs. That is one thing I never spent enough time on those with the past lineup, something Paul at PTI perfected on those hulls, so I need to do the same on this one.

-

Got the cowling plug framing in today. Should look real nice one the mold is done.

Cowling plug is moving along. Got the foam in, and glass coat added. Next I will sand, add filler, and prime, and see where its at!

Plug is getting closer:

Cowling plug getting close.

Finished the cowling plug for the THX305 tunnel! Mold should happen this week.

The THX-305 cowling plug is now almost ready. I added the parting board, and cleaned up the base connection, and got another Duratec coat added this weekend. I should have this plug done this week. Mike

U are the man

Finishing up the mold this weekend for the cowling. Wont be long!

First cowling is out of the mold, and its slick as glass! Mike

Aright, Here it is! Looks so freakin sweet. I cannot wait to get this one up and running! Mike

Also, This is the reason anyone can handle building this hull easily. Its pretty hard to mess up the sponson to center section bonding with the dowel and loop technique. it forces a 90 degree angle with the center section to inside sponson edge.

Simply BEAUTIFUL WORK!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I agree. You certainly have mastered the trade. Looks great.

Thanks guys!

Get it done yet

Heck no, always something going on. its on my workbench waiting to receive the top decks and epoxy tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast