Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks- XCat Catamaran design started. Looking for opinions!

Default ML Boatworks- XCat Catamaran design started. Looking for opinions!

Hey everyone. Well, I have had a lot of requests for a Catamaran kit, and I was really liking the XCat style catamaran, so I started working on one. Presently I am looking at doing this around 40" long so twin outboards will work, or a large single inboard setup could work. Check out the pics and let me know what you think! I will say this, the boat will be a 3 piece build. You will build the center section, and the sponsons separately, and there will be dowel rods to support the structure. The top decks would go on last once the bottom and sides are built. Should make for a nice square build! Thanks, Mike

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Yes please.
    Noisy person

Wait, do I have to out outboards on it?
    Noisy person

OH MY GOD, I LOVE YOU!!!!!! Please tell me it will be powered by outboards!!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

It can be powered by twin outboards, or a single inboard setup, so it fits both needs!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Looks gr8, how about a 32" single inrunner version as well :)
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    OH MY GOD, I LOVE YOU!!!!!! Please tell me it will be powered by outboards!!

Looks like you like this hull. It is based off the boat in your avatar actually, haha

I have been thinking about ways to make one for a year now. I've seen people convert a lucas oil with dual outboards, but it doesn't have the same lines or canopy as the X-cats. One 45" custom build with twin ProBoat outboards that was done pretty well.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...inch-xcat.html
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Oh wow, that guy did a really nice job, He did the same thing I am trying to do with this one! Glad there is some interest.

I guess I am going to have to re-arrange my Christmas wish list now
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

lol

That 45" example was rather heavy, I think he was using 4082's in the ProBoat outboards. The hull was 18lbs i believe, I wonder if 3660's would be suitable?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

"I am lite on my motors. here is my setup. 3660-2050kv aquastar, 120amp turnigy esc, 7200amh 40-80c lipos. hull with everything is 12 pounds. two pro boat outboards."
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Yeah, 18lbs for a hull that size seems very heavy. I think with the 40" length, it will handle a normal size outboard like the proboat. I am going to have to work on an Alien cowling to fit the proboat lower possibly. I have lots of Amps outboards so I may mount a couple on my personal hull, but the proboat outboard I would think is a good fit for this project. Not sure if 36mm cans would be enough. It is hard to tell until I complete the kit design, and build one. Lots going on right now as it is, so this is more of a fun project as I get the time to build.

There are some incredible Youtube video with Xcat footage. These guys are insane. Bordering on needing an intervention.

The real boats are tough as nails. They have the best lines.

There probably is a market for both P and Q if you find something that works. Nobody loves what's out there right now.
    Noisy person

So it sounds like there is a little bit of a market for a hull like this then?

I think there would be.

The only thing in the P range that's decent to race is the Promarine and the Cheetah. The Lucas and Blackjack are okay on limited but for P forget it. The AQ will explode on impact and the BJ gets weird turning at higher speeds. Skip skip role. The Promarine is strong in limited but a bit narrow for P. Still workable. Just requires a little finesse to finish. I don't do Promarine at all though. I already have a Cheetah. Those run great too but have to be shaved a tic to fit P. They're a little heavy too for my liking. Very very competitive with the right setup though. Mean Machine is killer for limited but is too small for P in my opinion.

For Q there is the Zelos but you're committed to twins at that point. Not sure I want to go to twins for sprint. Then there are the Sprint Cats from Aeromarine. Awesome boats but ugly as home made sin (sorry Sprint lovers). Other than those, nothing Q will turn at speed in race water.

IDK I feel like there is a gap. Maybe someone else can think of more cats to talk Mike out of this. Wait............no don't.
    Noisy person

Well, I want one of these as a wall display no mattet what, so Im definately doing it! haha

You've got my interest Mike. I will be watching this build, likely would do an inboard single myself if I went this way. BTW any plans to stretch the rigger up to a 6S platform, that I would also be keen on. Great stuff!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Hi Peter, Yes, I plan on doing a 38" version of my 31" 4s rigger in the near future. Plans are already started for that, and for a 2s rigger!

Awesome, I am looking to do a 6S rigger next year. Pencil me in for a kit. May have to get a cat one as well to make the shipping down under worth it. See how it pans out.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Mike,
    Love to see a 2S-3S rigger to compete with the JAE Mini Sprint. I'd buy one right now. A little bigger tub to fit a water cooled ESC more easily.
    Bob

Yes I would love to build one! I have been thinking about doing a gas version for some time as well

Been pricing out what I need for a twin build, going to need to start robbing my kids piggy bank.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Been pricing out what I need for a twin build, going to need to start robbing my kids piggy bank.
    Twins, you better rob a real bank lol

Yes xcat is a beautiful idea and plan... I may succumb to yet another hull.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Lol, Thumbs Up! haha

yes on a 32-34 inch version for p class

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    yes on a 32-34 inch version for p class
    With twin outboards. How bad ass would that be? Oh wait, I forgot you are limited to 5k per motor. It would work if your IMPBA.
    Noisy person

U can run sprint p cat with twins.. darin Jordan did it at this years nats.. he had plenty of speed and battery left

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast