Thread: My flex shaft broke, what should I buy?

Default My flex shaft broke, what should I buy?

Ran the boat about 4 times, greased and maintained properly and snapped the shaft. The boat is stock but I am running an aftermarket prop. What shaft do I buy and do I need to do any modifications to the boat? Thanks boys

This is the OSE "upgrade" but they aren't in stock right now. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...se-cable-mcrew

Or just get a .150 cable with 2 1/4" long prop shaft, and cut the cable to length.

What are your feelings on the kintec version?

Both OSE and Kintec cables work well. I try to support Steve here at OSE who runs this great forum for us. Those cables are usually in stock so I imagine they'll be back soon. You can hit the "notify me when available" button under Out of stock and it will email you when they're back.

Also, what aftermarket prop are you running? Is it balanced/sharpened?

I've had good luck with the grimracer 42/55 prop and found my top speed with a m445 at 45-46mph. Both boats are all stock besides the prop.

Do you know why the shaft broke? Did you leave a gap at the drive dog end? Is the stuffing tube ok? Where did it break?

It likely broke where the stub and flex meet. I picked up a crew in the tower scratch and dent a few weeks ago and I never even ran the stock cable it looked like a piece of crap so I put in a nice .150 cable from the get go

I would like to support ose also but I would like to run the boat soon as well. The shaft broke between the stuffing tube and the motor. I got lucky it didnt break all the way through bc I didnt lose my prop. My props are all balanced and thinned.

I had the proper gap at the back and the tube is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmedOut15 View Post
    I would like to support ose also but I would like to run the boat soon as well. The shaft broke between the stuffing tube and the motor. I got lucky it didnt break all the way through bc I didnt lose my prop. My props are all balanced and thinned.
    Is there a kink in the stuffing tube where it broke? You may want to replace it before using another shaft as it may break as well. Shafts normally don't just break in the middle like that.

Tube is fine, guess I got lucky

The most common reason for a shaft breaking between the coupler & the stuffing tube is that the motor & stuffing tube are misaligned. Either verticaly or horizontaly.
    Does the flex slide straight into the coupler, without catching on the end of the coupler, as you install it? And once it is in the coupler it should not be touching the sides, or top, or bottom, of the stuffing tube.
    A bent motor shaft will also destroy a flex up near the coupler. Just check that the coupler runs true without any wobble at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    The most common reason for a shaft breaking between the coupler & the stuffing tube is that the motor & stuffing tube are misaligned. Either verticaly or horizontaly.
    Does the flex slide straight into the coupler, without catching on the end of the coupler, as you install it? And once it is in the coupler it should not be touching the sides, or top, or bottom, of the stuffing tube.
    A bent motor shaft will also destroy a flex up near the coupler. Just check that the coupler runs true without any wobble at the end.
    I will have to try the alignment of the shaft once it comes in. Ose has them in stock again so im waiting for it to arrive. If the tube is off, can i just bend it into place? Any tricks or just muscle? Thanks for all the help guys

Any updates? Just wondering how you made out with the new OSE flex shaft?

What is the aftermarket prop? How many cells?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Using the x442 prop.