Thread: Best batteries for my stock MC?

Default Best batteries for my stock MC?

I ran the grim racer 7.4v 5000 mah packs, I own 4, 2 of the packs got distorted after using them 3 times. What do you guys use or recommend I buy?

Sounds like you ran them down too low

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Im new to electric, raced nitro and gas back in the day, how do I know when to bring it in? Gas seems so much easier. What packs do you recommend? Same ones?

Do you have a decent charger for your batteries? and is low voltage cut off set on the speed controller? What were the cells at on the packs in question? Like Jim said they probably got ran down too low

Run something in a higher C rating any battery I own is atleast a 50c. I like SMC and SPC batteries. I have a few 2s turnigy batteries for my hydro, theyre Ok.

What was the voltage when you brought the boat in?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Welcome! I have the Lucas Oil and Motley Crew, love them both! I run both boats for fun(no racing) and set my phone timer for 4 minutes. This way I'm not killing batts and have packs that are 3-4 years old and still going strong. I run turnigy and revo packs and make sure they're stored at approx 3.85.

So 4 mins is the average on this setup?

The thread you are responding to is 5 years old since there has been any activity. BTW most boats will NOT go 4 minutes with out over discharging the batteries. There is no average time. Every set-up is unique. You need to purchase a voltage checker (dirt cheap, about 10 bucks) and then bring your boat on after 2 minutes. It will tell you how much juice or charge is left
    I'm the batteries. Don't run them down much below 3.70 volts per cell.
    After running and checking them several times you get a feel for how fast
    your boat uses energy. Over discharge and or overly rapid discharging the batteries is the worst thing you can do to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    The thread you are responding to is 5 years old since there has been any activity. BTW most boats will NOT go 4 minutes with out over discharging the batteries. There is no average time. Every set-up is unique. You need to purchase a voltage checker (dirt cheap, about 10 bucks) and then bring your boat on after 2 minutes. It will tell you how much juice or charge is left
    I'm the batteries. Don't run them down much below 3.70 volts per cell.
    After running and checking them several times you get a feel for how fast
    your boat uses energy. Over discharge and or overly rapid discharging the batteries is the worst thing you can do to them.
    Thank you for the info. I have the stock Motley Crue boat that's been sitting and I wanted to get it going again. Wanted to see what batteries I should buy now and if this boat has a low voltage shut down like traxxas. 4 mins doesn't seem like much fun after waiting for the charge. My electric trucks run much longer.

A lot depends on how you drive the boat. Most of my running is at full speed
    backing off as little as possible to navigate the turns. I don't race but try to
    drive as though I was. At full bore a boat will use substantially more juice than a car.If you spend a fair amount of time at partial throttle or just
    blipping around then you will get more run time. That's why I recommend that you get your self a voltage checker. It will be your best friend in keeping your batteries in good condition. They are not cheap. Most boaters, my self included, take multiple boats and enough batteries to run each one two or three times when they to the pond. I never recharge batteries at the pond. Too darn frustrating sitting there waiting for a battery to charge.

The Motley Crue is a very cool boat. My son has a Lucas Oil. I believe that they are the same except for the paint job. Catamaran built by aqua craft?
    If you are a car guy you probably have lots of 2-S batteries and your boat uses two at a time so you should be in good shape. That boat in stock configuration is pretty easy on batteries.The higher the C rating the better and the higher mil. amp. the longer run time you can get. If you don't already own enough batteries and are looking to buy more try to get 50-C
    at 5000 mil. amp. You could probably get by with 35-40-C if cost is an issue
    but seeing how 2-S is the most common battery out there I wouldn't think there would be that big of a difference.

All great info, thank you for the help. I love the ease of Traxxas with the low batt detection and their chargers. Didn't want to buy another boat just yet when I have the Crue basically new just sitting. I have an Onyx 245 charger, haven't looked at it in a while, not sure if it has the storage option on it. Also don't know if the boat itself has the low batt detection or not. That why I would have to get those voltage readers for each battery to see where they are. Seems like a pain too having to re tape the hatch every 2 mins to look. I guess the run time is my biggest disappointment on these things.

If you don't already own enough batteries and are looking to buy more try to get 50-C at 5000 mil. amp. You could probably get by with 35-40-C if cost is an issue I have the Lucas Oil and Motley Crew, love them both! I run both boats for fun(no racing) with marine equipment and set my phone timer for 4 minutes. This way I'm not killing batts and have packs that are 3-4 years old and still going strong. I run turnigy and revo packs and make sure they're stored at approx 3.85.
    Last edited by Kervarrytoolo7u; 03-15-2022 at 03:19 AM. Reason: more info