Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Warmups

Waiting to get on the plane !!! Here I come AZ !!!

Any pics of the course !! It's cold in NY

What NO pictures, or talk about the racing??

Us people up here in the cold that couldn't go need information.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Booo, Hisssss... lol...Bad weather?

Larry if you aren't busy tomorrow we could Skype. I need to talk boats with someone, lol... Want to pick your brain on setups. This time I'll write it down.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    Ok folks final rule update on p limited motor rules.. we are going to let the size rule play out for this race.. but with a max kv of 2000.. we held our last club race today..I have been talking with Terry Davis.. and he agree to that.. so there ya go..
    Hope everyone had a good time.

When you guys recover I'd like to know how the motor rules panned out. I'm pretty sure this is the first race that relaxed them a bit, and we're doing something similar for the Spring Nats.

What did you learn??

Thanks all,

D.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The weather wasn't too bad. Great day Friday, Saturday had some rain (delayed maybe 20 min throughout the day) and some wind, but just enough to still be able to race through it. Sunday was better with a bit of rain while setting up pits, but the pond got flooded and a huge debris field kept us from running the final round 6 of P Mono. All in all, I think we lucked out considering what the forecast was looking like before the event.

More info will spill in later, but I must say that WW XIII was the best attended ever. Thanks to all of you that made the trip. Guys came from 7 states. Mark Ferreira from Nevada, Randy and Steve from Nor Cal, Brad Lewis from Oregon, Pags, Nina Pags and Tom Baffer from New York, Terry, Tyler, Castellani and Kevin Kosciolek from Michigan, Robert Holland from Colorado and Haines/Feddy from Florida. What a tremendous effort these guys pulled off to get here to race!

My new friend, Baffer, will have 229 haunting his dreams for a few months. Or maybe my dreams will be haunted by him yelling, "229 will haunt my dreams". What a hoot. We gave him the mic during the award ceremony. Classic Tom. With all due respect to the other racers, he really is what WW is all about. Testing, tuning, learning, tweaking, and laughing all weekend long. Nina raced her heart out, even powering through not feeling well the last day. Pags was in rare form, taped up well before each heat and helping our event keep pace. The Michigan boys (Terry and Tom) brought Tyler along to play this time, as well as new racer Kevin Kosciolek. Brad Lewis ran some excellent laps with his 1/10th scales. Randy and Steve's trip was cut short due to Steve not feeling well. I hope he's doing better. It was also nice to finally meet Feddy and I'm glad to see that Ken is back in action after the theft loss last summer. It was also great to catch up with Mark Ferriera, who's still running his Insane LSH with 2030 motor from the '12 Nats! He still had my tech zip tie on the wire. And still fast, too.

Tyler Davis is my new inspiration. That young man soaks up FE racing knowledge like a sponge. I pitted for him for many heats and raced against him in a few. He doesn't get rattled. Ever. I was on his hip for 8 1/2 laps in P-Ltd Offshore, working harder than I care to admit, and finally succumbed to his prop wash while making an aggressive pass move. He is a huge force to be reckoned with, and will be at the top of this hobby shortly. Actually, he's already there in my book.

Big thanks to Richard Romero who filled in as CD at the last minute due to Lenny Blake needing to attend to some family matters. Richard is our NAMBA Dist 19 Director and is working hard on the '17 NAMBA Nat's in Vegas coming up in October. He's a class act and is a huge addition to any event he attends.

And also congratulations to Ray for pulling off his first WW event. He was pulled in many directions, like that rubber man doll you all had as a kid, but he kept it together. Thanks, Ray!

Nice update, thank you!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Good stuff David!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

A big thanks to Newland for his return to the hobby after a little time off. He is a tremendous asset to this side of the hobby. Always a great time even if the weather wasn't typical AZ.

I haven't raced in quit a while and it was a blast to get out there again. Thanks to Ray and Dave for getting this race done with bad weather to contend with.

Mark

Back in the shop now after the trip to Az. It seams like no matter where I go it It is pouring rain. It was clear on the way down to Az and the first day racing. Saturday I felt like I was in a monsoon. It rained most of the way home and today a Storm is coming. I did not bring my rain coat and boots to the race, I felt it was no need to use them is a little storm in the desert. Boy was I wrong. Steve is feeling better. Great to see old friends and meet new ones. Thanks to Dave and Ray for the great race.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Good times. Always fun time when I get to hang with boat people. They are well and truly the salt of the earth. I tried to hang out in every pit area for a few minutes. If I missed anyone I apologize.

The MMEU gang fought numerous gremlins over the weekend. It is the middle of winter for us. We're racing boats stuff untested in some cases. Some gremlins we overcame. Tom's scale hung and won against some of the fasts scales I've ever seen. Kevin and I were less successful but we did manage to place in a couple classes still. Ty placed in 4 of his 6 classes. In LSH the wire drive broke twice! He had a shot at that class too were it not for that.

Tyler is becoming one of those buggers you want to race and you well.....don't want to have to race too. He was leading P mono going into the 5th round. All he really needed to do was keep finishing and nobody could catch him by points. When he saw that Haines was in his heat he wanted to race him for real. Not just bag off and take the points. They went after it hard. Ty spun and sucked a servo wire into the flex cable. Ken flipped in the same turn. Ken felt bad like he was pushing Ty too hard. Ty wanted it. Wanted to beat him heads up. As soon as I figure out how I'll upload the video. They didn't finish but it's still a good watch. For me it was "must watch" racing every time he went out. Proud dad....sniffle. haha

On the motors......

Tyler and I ran 1950's in LSH. Mine was a loaner boat and was hit twice while capsized. It was split the entire after-plain at the seem. We learned nothing with that boat. Tyler was really fast but still not nearly as fast as Presnell who was running the PB1500 motor. So no real gain in performance that we experienced. In fairness and honesty though, it was our first race with the setups. There is likely more in the tank. Enough to catch Ray? No idea. That Whip is no joke.

In offshore Tyler and Ray were running PB1500's. Ty was 10.5 laps consistent with the brand new Cyberstorm. Still needs work. Ray was turning 11.5 with ease on the 1500. That boat is a beast. I would describe it as perfect. I ran a TP in offshore with 1750kv. My best run was 10.5 laps with 19% left in the batteries. In fairness and honesty again, I was running a crap line off the hairpin on the back straight. Couldn't force myself to turn early enough. Rusty I guess. That's where Ray was killing everyone I think. There was a good line back there and I just couldn't hit it. I doubt seriously that even if I could have run the right line I would have exceeded Rays laps. He was on it. I maybe, mighta, coulda, matched but I don't think I had speed enough to win.

My gut is that the motors aren't going to make a enough difference for the average racer to exploit. The target audience for these classes isn't the go fast super freaks. It's guys that want competition without requiring an output of massive dollars on motors and speedo. I guy like Brian maybe could take one of these motors to a crazy place but he's not the average racer. There isn't a Buass at every venue. He could tape branches to 2x4 and be faster than me.

FYI, in case I haven't mentioned it before. Our guys are testing every end of the spectrum on the motors. From the original limited list to Lehner. Even some custom built motors. If it fits it runs. At the end of the season we'll see what we've learned. We'll revisit it and make changes if it looks like it's a bust.
    Noisy person

Thx for the kind words terry.. I think the motors have potential.. as for the 1509s I can guarantee I have more time on those motors than anyone.. I haven't used anything else in 2 years.. and I race and test a lot.. and not a single failure in that time.. and yes I couldn't ask for a better mono for offshore.. I think I went half a lap faster than any of the p offshore boats..thanks again for coming out.. your kid is gonna be fast.. hopefully u talk Richard into cding for you.. thx again for all that came out.. now to prep the gas boats.. and put the fe boats in storage for nats

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Good times. Always fun time when I get to hang with boat people. They are well and truly the salt of the earth. I tried to hang out in every pit area for a few minutes. If I missed anyone I apologize.

The MMEU gang fought numerous gremlins over the weekend. It is the middle of winter for us. We're racing boats stuff untested in some cases. Some gremlins we overcame. Tom's scale hung and won against some of the fasts scales I've ever seen. Kevin and I were less successful but we did manage to place in a couple classes still. Ty placed in 4 of his 6 classes. In LSH the wire drive broke twice! He had a shot at that class too were it not for that.

Tyler is becoming one of those buggers you want to race and you well.....don't want to have to race too. He was leading P mono going into the 5th round. All he really needed to do was keep finishing and nobody could catch him by points. When he saw that Haines was in his heat he wanted to race him for real. Not just bag off and take the points. They went after it hard. Ty spun and sucked a servo wire into the flex cable. Ken flipped in the same turn. Ken felt bad like he was pushing Ty too hard. Ty wanted it. Wanted to beat him heads up. As soon as I figure out how I'll upload the video. They didn't finish but it's still a good watch. For me it was "must watch" racing every time he went out. Proud dad....sniffle. haha

On the motors......

Tyler and I ran 1950's in LSH. Mine was a loaner boat and was hit twice while capsized. It was split the entire after-plain at the seem. We learned nothing with that boat. Tyler was really fast but still not nearly as fast as Presnell who was running the PB1500 motor. So no real gain in performance that we experienced. In fairness and honesty though, it was our first race with the setups. There is likely more in the tank. Enough to catch Ray? No idea. That Whip is no joke.

In offshore Tyler and Ray were running PB1500's. Ty was 10.5 laps consistent with the brand new Cyberstorm. Still needs work. Ray was turning 11.5 with ease on the 1500. That boat is a beast. I would describe it as perfect. I ran a TP in offshore with 1750kv. My best run was 10.5 laps with 19% left in the batteries. In fairness and honesty again, I was running a crap line off the hairpin on the back straight. Couldn't force myself to turn early enough. Rusty I guess. That's where Ray was killing everyone I think. There was a good line back there and I just couldn't hit it. I doubt seriously that even if I could have run the right line I would have exceeded Rays laps. He was on it. I maybe, mighta, coulda, matched but I don't think I had speed enough to win.

My gut is that the motors aren't going to make a enough difference for the average racer to exploit. The target audience for these classes isn't the go fast super freaks. It's guys that want competition without requiring an output of massive dollars on motors and speedo. I guy like Brian maybe could take one of these motors to a crazy place but he's not the average racer. There isn't a Buass at every venue. He could tape branches to 2x4 and be faster than me.

FYI, in case I haven't mentioned it before. Our guys are testing every end of the spectrum on the motors. From the original limited list to Lehner. Even some custom built motors. If it fits it runs. At the end of the season we'll see what we've learned. We'll revisit it and make changes if it looks like it's a bust.
    Thank you. Yours and Ty's stories always make my day and the motor info is very nice to help me plan. Got another blue motor coming.

Hey Ray, what mono you running in Spec offshore? I've Been running a df33 but it's a bit of a brick. Thinking a df29?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    Thx for the kind words terry.. I think the motors have potential.. as for the 1509s I can guarantee I have more time on those motors than anyone.. I haven't used anything else in 2 years.. and I race and test a lot.. and not a single failure in that time.. and yes I couldn't ask for a better mono for offshore.. I think I went half a lap faster than any of the p offshore boats..thanks again for coming out.. your kid is gonna be fast.. hopefully u talk Richard into cding for you.. thx again for all that came out.. now to prep the gas boats.. and put the fe boats in storage for nats

What mono is it? I'm shopping.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

On the motors......

Ty's enthusiasm is real and backed by a dad that promotes it. Thats nice to see from both of you.

Thanks for the info on the motors. Its all good stuff and the more someone races and not bench races(like me) we will have hard evidence to improve the hobby.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Ty's enthusiasm is real and backed by a dad that promotes it. Thats nice to see from both of you.

Thanks for the info on the motors. Its all good stuff and the more someone races and not bench races(like me) we will have hard evidence to improve the hobby.
    I'm worse Steve, lol...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, the 29 is fast but its a beehotch to drive. D33, Pursuit, or Cyber were the goto boats. Didn't see the new Promarine out there but its a nice looking boat. Not legal for IMPBA mono but and easy fix.
    Noisy person

Thank Terry. I'll keep my DF Banana boat for that then. Saves me trying to pawn it for peanuts. Even though I hate yellow, I hate wasting money more. Time to score some nasty Geico decals for it, lol... Got a set of Lumar Hydro decals, lol...

I've got to get out for a bit today, getting real nutters lately.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey guys, what a great time, I love racing w all you guys, great competition, great friends and a really great atmosphere.

First off, thanks to Ray and all the Scottsdale model boaters for putting on a great show, especially for us guys that traveled, tents tables chairs and power enuf for everyone!!! The venue is great, even though its a little tight down on the right side it makes for great racing. Everyone there were gentlemen, showing people setup tips, building tricks and everyone willing to show people their little secrets and tricks to go fast, that's what the FE community is all about.

Next, the racing was off the hook. Some really tight racing, some insanely fast boats for the classes they were in. We really don't know how tight the actual classes were because we never saw the scores, but that's fine w me, but I think in the future you should have some sort of computer program doing the scoring and print out the results after every round.

I brought my good buddy Tom Baffer along for the ride and I "think" everyone enjoyed his antics. You must have because you asked him to take the mic and give out the trophies!!!! Tom and I have been racing cars and flying planes together for almost 30 years, his Father owns Bruckner Hobbies in the Bronx and he has been sponsoring us and running races for us all that time. I got Tom into the boats about 2-1/2 years ago and he loves it and has come a long way in a short time. Tommy and his dad Tom Sr. are good people to have involved in any type of racing. They have put together some of the biggest car races in the northeast and I think moving forward we might put something together here in the NY/NJ area.

I personally did OK in my races, my racing program was definitely not on point, I struggled with a couple of boats but my Cat, or as someone called it during the awards (my safety blanket) was my strong point, I raced it in 3 classes and took 2 firsts and a second! I didn't podium in any other class. Special thanks to Dave Newland who built me a bad ass P-Mono, I feel that this boat will be a contender to deal with at many races in the future.

Lastly but most importantly, my daughter Nina who was so sad 2 years ago when I took Ava here instead of her. She made me promise that the next time I came I took her. Well I did and we had a spectacular time together. I just love hanging out with her, she's funny, sweet, calm, cool and collected. She went prop to prop against some of the best competitors in the country. She took care of all of our charging, helped setup and break down, woke up early and stayed up late, all while not feeling well. My little girl was a trooper and I couldn't be more proud of her, not for racing, but for being my best friend all weekend long, being a perfect little lady, and doing more than what was expected of her. Oh and By the way, she wasn't going to run P-Mono because her P-mono boat wasn't very good. Just before her 1st P-mono heat she said "why don't I just run my P-ltd boat in p-mono?" I said great Idea. So she did, and in the 1st heat she placed 2nd, and then another 2nd, and so on and so on. It turned out she was the only person in P mono to complete all their heats, and guess what SHE WON P-MONO, with a P-ltd setup, Oh and YES IT WAS HER OFFSHORE SETUP!!!!!!!! I was so excited and happy for her we almost couldn't believe it.

Hats off to everyone who ran this race, who competed in this race, and who won at this race, and especially My NINA!!!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

Thanks for the write up Mike, great reading. Maybe one day I'll get south. It would be nice specially in the winter!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mikey, losing to Nina and Tyler was enough to make losing palatable. I was glad to hear she would make the trip to MI too.

I have video of the Baffer awards show too. Worth the price of admission.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post

Ty & Nina will continue to wear us out as long as they are in the hobby. Fede won't be far behind. Good stuff guys!!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Let's see if I did this right.

Noisy person

Another

Noisy person

What's in that blue blaster??? Holy cow!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ain't that sick Ray? Ty still couldn't catch Presnell.
    Noisy person

Crazy. Crazy good.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hey Ray and the Arizona club,
    Great event....I will post more this Sunday on my only day off....12 hour days this week are tough
    Any chance you can post the final race results ?
    Thx, Ken

Btw....Nice Video's Terry
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

You guys that ran Q hydro. What motor would you recommend for a Phil Thomas sport 45 hull I'm building? Not sure if a 4070 is good enough or is a 5650 going to be what the boat needs.

Mark

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast