Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running BJ26 with 6S Lipo?

Default Running BJ26 with 6S Lipo?

Hey guys, some of you are running 6S Lipo with stock esc, and motor. I tried it yesterday, but it didn't run. How did you guys run it without any issues? I used Thunder Power Lipo 2 packs 3S 11.1v 2200mAh in series.

I havnt done it so this is a guess, that the ESC won't arm with that much voltage and if there is a way to set the RSC in a manual mode might get it to arm

Default re running your blackjack on 6s lipo

i used the pro boat programming card to set my esc up.

once i did that i was able to use 6s lipo and i ran it about 5 times then the esc wouldnt arm. so i reset the esc using the programming card again and it works once again.

OK , i have the programming card. How did you set it?

Default setting up your esc with your programming card

this is how i have my programming card set when i program my esc.

battery type= lipo
    cutoff voltage=high ( this sets it at 3 volts per cell)
    cutoff type=slow down ( this will give you some power to still be able to drive the boat back to shore slowly if the lipo cutoff starts to kick in.)
    brake=off ( brakes are for pussies .lol)
    timing= high ( the stock motor doesnt seem to mind higher timing)
    throttle curve=linear

this is the exact setup ive been using with my blackjack on 6s lipo and the only issue ive ever had is that i need to reprogram my esc from time to time.

have fun tony.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashmetal View Post
    this is how i have my programming card set when i program my esc.

battery type= lipo
    cutoff voltage=high ( this sets it at 3 volts per cell)
    cutoff type=slow down ( this will give you some power to still be able to drive the boat back to shore slowly if the lipo cutoff starts to kick in.)
    brake=off ( brakes are for pussies .lol)
    timing= high ( the stock motor doesnt seem to mind higher timing)
    throttle curve=linear

this is the exact setup ive been using with my blackjack on 6s lipo and the only issue ive ever had is that i need to reprogram my esc from time to time.

have fun tony.
    2x 3s 2200mAh 11.1v be ok? What lipo are you using?

Default re lipos

im using a pair of 3s 3800 lipos.

any pair of 3s lipos will work.

ran 6s yesterday w/ stock bec, no problems no heat issues

iam waiting on a set of 3 cell 11.1v 4000Mah 30c lipo's arriving and will see what results i get from them hoping to see a remarkable increase in speed from what iam running now but to confirm what should the cut of be set to ??

bj26
    fullers o/s cat hardware
    ETTI 150 amp esc
    2x 6600 mah 20c lipo (soon to be 2x 11.1v 4000Mah 30c)
    futaba 2.4GHz TX/8ch Rx
    custom water pick up
    Rx power pack 1500mah
    Rx power switch
    octura x642 b/s or x640
    Tupperware and bat trays removed
    turn fins shortened sharpened and angled
    foretrex 101 GPS

all up run weight 5lb
    Maxamus

Please read the specs on the Brushless ESC in question:

45-Amp Brushless ESC

Specs
    • Forward:Yes
    • Brake:Yes
    • Continuous Maximum Current:45A
    • Input Voltage:Minimum 10V, Maximum 21V
    • Momentary Peak Current:55A
    • BEC Voltage:5.8V

I think that if you are running 6s at 22.2 Volts (nominal), then you should be prepared to replace the ESC. Another consideration, I haven't checked, but this ESC may only be setup for 4s, so your lipo cutoff could be in the dangerous range if the cutoff voltage is 9.6V for 6s. This would mean that the ESC would cutoff at 1.6V per cell. If this is indeed the case, then you should be prepared to replace your lipos as well, granted there's no fire. If there's a fire, then you may be in for the whole boat.

Like I said, I haven't confirmed that the ESC cutoff doesn't change according to the input voltage. Perhaps it does. Maybe someone else can weigh in here.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

all i know is it works

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    all i know is it works
    I know, I just wanted to caution those who read this thread now or later on.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

did you try the zigzag 3 cell yet meniscus?

You guys are idiots for posting this type of info. Now every RTR newbie boater will push their equipment way over their designed and engineered specifications

Douggie

I wanted to see how you did on a longer run first, LOL That way, if it goes, I can reconsider

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    You guys are idiots for posting this type of info. Now every RTR newbie boater will push their equipment way over their designed and engineered specifications

Douggie
    actually alot of these companies lie about the specifications to keep there equipment safe. for example. sv27 esc is really a electrifly silver series airplane esc waterproofed and cooled. the specs for that esc is input voltage up to 21v or 5s yet aquacraft says 4s is the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    actually alot of these companies lie about the specifications to keep there equipment safe. for example. sv27 esc is really a electrifly silver series airplane esc waterproofed and cooled. the specs for that esc is input voltage up to 21v or 5s yet aquacraft says 4s is the limit.

Boats are way more demanding on the ESC than a plane or a car. Search the forums on ESC problems and specs that do not meet the demands of an FE boat

Douggie

It is not a matter of if..... It is a matter of when. Sooner or later your luck will run out. Mine did on Friday.

douggie, true- but ive also been running the sv27 esc on 5s for over a year now, with no problems.

Yes, but what prop/Motor and batteries?

Douggie

grim 40/52 3 blade, a mix of lipos from tp to flightmax

What are the battery specs? That prop is OK. I still can not believe you do have a problem unless all your boats run dry, as apposed to wet
    Douggie

Doggie, this has gone on since the BJ came out. 6S has been tried by many. No it is not something anyone recommends but it has been proven more than once and more than 10. Sure it will press the ESC hard..... but for that motor to not have issues is the key for me. A larger ESC is easy these days for little money.

These boards are to experiment and read others input. Stating they are idiots for putting that on a board is rediculous and not very nice. I, for one, like to see and hear this stuff. I think we all know when we plug anything in to our boats we pretty clinch our butt cheeks, cross our fingers and hit the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    ...I think we all know when we plug anything in to our boats we pretty clinch our butt cheeks, cross our fingers and hit the throttle.
    I thought I was the only one!

Doggie, this has gone on since the BJ came out. 6S has been tried by many. No it is not something anyone recommends but it has been proven more than once and more than 10. Sure it will press the ESC hard..... but for that motor to not have issues is the key for me. A larger ESC is easy these days for little money.

These boards are to experiment and read others input. Stating they are idiots for putting that on a board is rediculous and not very nice. I, for one, like to see and hear this stuff. I think we all know when we plug anything in to our boats we pretty clinch our butt cheeks, cross our fingers and hit the throttle.
    exactly

Not really Jeff. I do not push my equipment as I like to save my pennies. The point I was trying to make is that many forum users will now exceed the manufacturers specs on all equipment. Yes, I can not be very nice from time to time, but I will stick by my point of IDIOTS unless you back it up with documented proof via Eagle Tree and or all other hardware/electronics etc. is specified.

Douggie

This is the exact reason why I posted the CAUTION info explaining what could happen and the additional risk

A simple, risk versus gain or maybe you prefer what is referred to as an "opportunity cost" LOL

ill be picking up and eagle tree soon, ill post it up then we'll see whos the IDIOT

[QUOTE=6S HYDRO;87269]ill be picking up and eagle tree soon, ill post it up then we'll see whos the IDIOT[/QUOTE

I await your epistle with baited breath...remember all the specs and run time ..no saw run times and if I am the idiot I will wear a shirt stating that..proudly

Douggie

Ok, sounds good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast