Thread: Louisiana flooding

Lightbulb Louisiana flooding

Not sure what forum to post this in....

Please pray for the people in Louisiana, we are enduring an epic ordeal. A lot of my fronds and relatives have lost everything they own. We are batting what they call a 500 year flood event here. It's bad. Very bad. There's places that normally wouldn't hold water here that's 6ft under water or more. People have lost their lives. It's so sad and very unexpected. This is just totally unreal. Most everyone I've talked to don't have flood insurance. If they aren't in a flood zone it's not required. I don't have flood insurance either. We had it for a while then dropped it because we thought it would never be needed. I've been lucky tho. We only had water seep into my house and get the carpet wet. We are currently pulling the carpet up and out the house. My shop is ruined tho. It was placed lower than the house and it was in two feet of water. I can't get my car to my house either. When I took off work at noon yesterday it was already flooded so much on the the road to my house that I had to leave my car at some people's house I don't know and take a boat down the road to my family waiting to pick me up down the road. Here's some pics I've taken.

This is before noon. My kids decided to get the lawn mover out of my little shed. Now you see it.....

Now you don't. When the weight was removed, the shed floated away. Take note of the bottom hinges on the door....

Later that day (or maybe the next day...it's all running together for me at this point)

I retrieved the shed when I got home

Inside it. Luckily this isn't where I work on boats at. Just where I build engines or machine parts.

This is how it was in all the bed rooms. I'm so lucky. I have to replace all the floors but o well.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

My backyard as its rising

It actually got about 8" higher than this. Had water on my shop floor. Nothing got damaged tho. I picked everything up.

Coming up my slab. I was so disgusted I didn't take pics when it got higher. Wasn't in the mood

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I am so sorry Travis. Many parts of Texas went through this earlier in the year - some areas went through it TWICE. Tragic.

Last edited by Fluid; 08-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I am so sorry Tyler. Many parts of Texas went through this earlier in the year - some areas went through it TWICE. Tragic.

Dang I hope we don't get hit twice. I didn't realize how bad this was until
    A couple hours ago. O my god. I went into town to see if we could check on my wife's work. The main business strip for my city is completely under water. I went by the post office and the water was so high the roofs of mail trucks were just barely sticking out the water....and that's up higher in a parking lot. Stay tuned. I have video and lots of pics. I'm currently trying to dry my house out. Post them soon.

Take care and I'm sorry for your loss. I'm praying for you. We could use that rain very badly in my area but never that much!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks fellas. We were out of phone service all day. Not fun. Especially when your trying to check on friends and family. We have wifi so we were able to text and FaceTime other people that had iPhones except when we left the house. We decided to try and get to my wife's work and check on it to see if it flooded there. It was against my better judgement but she was adamant about going. We got to the main strip in our city and what I saw was shocking. Unbelievable. It's never flooded here before. It never even holds water after it rains for days. You guys need to watch these videos I took from a boat. My wife walked up to one of the guys about to take off in a bass boat and asked if they would bring us by her work. I still cannot believe the scope of this. So many people are out of work and homes now. I'm so lucky to have lost the little bit I did.

https://youtu.be/xg6ppYTxzuc

https://youtu.be/DMe8vXJfx0g

https://youtu.be/y0YU4ClBK0g

OMG, I'm so sorry Travis. I'm glad you were able to get most of your stuff up. And I really hope it recedes quickly and you get things dried out well. I feel real bad about my trivial PM's now, so sorry. My thoughts are with you and I feel terrible for those whom are in a worse predicament than yourself. Please hold your head high and keep good thoughts. You'll get through it.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    OMG, I'm so sorry Travis. I'm glad you were able to get most of your stuff up. And I really hope it recedes quickly and you get things dried out well. I feel real bad about my trivial PM's now, so sorry. My thoughts are with you and I feel terrible for those whom are in a worse predicament than yourself. Please hold your head high and keep good thoughts. You'll get through it.
    Shawn
    Nah man, it's ok. Sometimes I had to take my mind off what going on anyway just to keep my sanity. One thing that sucked for me (well not really but kinda) is I had to leave my car down the road and my radio to all my boats was in my car. I made sure and put it up high just in case, but I couldn't get to it while the water was up. I could have run my boats on my street. That would have been a nice video. I did get to do this tho.....

https://youtu.be/uihdVwpmOdo

This one is even better lol

https://youtu.be/uihdVwpmOdo

(Little proboat self righting rtr)

WOW... Sorry, Travis. That's horrible.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yikes. That sucks. Be safe Travis.
    Noisy person

Bummer, hope it gets better soon.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Okay, now I don't feel like such an ass for thinking to myself that he should be running boats around his house. Glad you and your family are okay and I hope it stays that way.

Man, those pics and videos are crazy. I live in Cypress, TX and we had 2 flooding events within a 4 week period earlier this year. I saw some fairly high water and Sheriff's department airboat rescues but as bad as it got here it was nothing like the pics/vids you shared. My thoughts and prayers to you, your family, and your friends during this challenging time.

p.s. my son was also outside running his r/c boat on the street when it flooded

Wow, that sucks! Has the water drained down yet?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Wow, that sucks! Has the water drained down yet?
    Yes it's pretty much gone surprisingly. I think Tuesday is when most of it drained. It left as fast as it came.

I'm not sure why I didn't take pics at the highest point but my wife did. I guess I was too disgusted. Here's a couple to show how it was just going into my vent holes in the wall.

sorry Travis that certainly sucks I think we have mother nature all screw up ! sorry man just another hurdle that life throws at you hang in there !!