Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Swordfish 300

Quote Originally Posted by Silver954 View Post
    I just melted down a swordfish 220a plus in a twin kbb45. From reading this thread Michlee the representative from Hifei is treating us like a bunch of morons.
    I will tell you what, you don't need to tell us to have a good day because we are not having one since your product crapped out and smoked out the boats.

Have some respect and provide a real warranty and a decent product, otherwise keep flapping the BS and that way it's very clear your business is not worth our time.
    You don't need to communicate with the engineer, you need to communicate with the boss that the product is unreliable.

Please don't respond if all you have to say is have a good day or thank you for the information (have some respect that we are not morons like yourself)
    Don't hold back man. Tell us how you really feel.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Yes I feel slightly better!
    Shipping a burnt ESC back to China is pointless, nobody can tell you what happened if it's burnt to a crisp. IMG_20161028_083443.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know what user error is, I have a drawer full of burned esc's to prove it. This was the one and only enclosed esc from Swordfish that I used, I had another but sold it. Not being able to see inside leaves a lot to wonder about and built up heat is one. And not having seen inside one I would NEVER have thought there was the rubber waterline which in so many ways is bad.. Wouldn't take much for the tywraps to come lose, small hole puncture in the tube, brittle over time. And then to have someone open one and see the line kinked, that's just wrong. But yeah, burned up it's hard to tell what happened so blame it on the user.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Wonder how this got by quality control. This is a friends and it's brand new, he luckily tested the cooling before using it. IF he had used it and it burned up, how would you have been able to determine the fault? I had one of these enclosed ones that burned up on me and it was determined user error because there was a mark on the outside that "could've" grounded.. There's no way this should've been closed up and sold.

Attachment 145119
    With the space given between the case and the brass tubes and the signal wires being in the way, I don't even see how a smooth turn can be made, not possible even if you wanted to do it right. It's just poorly designed and then slapped together.

I know what user error is, I have a drawer full of burned esc's to prove it. This was the one and only enclosed esc from Swordfish that I used, I had another but sold it. Not being able to see inside leaves a lot to wonder about and built up heat is one. And not having seen inside one I would NEVER have thought there was the rubber waterline which in so many ways is bad.. Wouldn't take much for the tywraps to come lose, small hole puncture in the tube, brittle over time. And then to have someone open one and see the line kinked, that's just wrong. But yeah, burned up it's hard to tell what happened so blame it on the user.

I'll agree an internal silicon hose that's zip tied is a very bad idea and poor design. I'm no engineer and there's many things that I could design better on this esc. Granted I think it's got great potential but that's only if hifei listens to its customers. I've had about 8-10 of these controllers and I like them but there's much to be desired. I don't EVEN CONSIDER running it without cutting the shrink off to inspect it. I keep large heat shrink on hand just for these escs. That stupid crossover cooling hose makes me very nervous and I've tried to think of a better way to run the cooling. Haven't come up with anything just yet.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Michlee View Post
    Sorry for such inconvenience Randy, we apologize.
    Would you minding sending back to us and verifying the possible reason for its problem?
    Thank you Randy
    Have a good one :)
    Ok I hope you will follow threw with your words and I have not thrown away another $33.75 for shipping. Three of the four controllers all died under warranty. The SW 220 was ran one time. The two SW 300 lights one works but not so fast and the other one died while sleeping for 2 months.
    Last edited by RandyatBBY; 11-09-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

How are they even still in business? Easily some of the worst customer service I've ever heard about. Has anyone even had one completely covered under warranty? I agree how the hell can they even determine how the controller failed when its a pile of melted garbage. Immediately blaming it on user error is obviously their easy way around it, which is asinine. I would tell them to shove that burnt up controller straight up their a$$ and good luck with future business if it were me.

Anyone heard back from Swordfish?

Anyone heard back from Swordfish?
    No but I'm working with another company on getting a test unit to try out and see how it fairs. I have a sf300 in my 37" cat right now and I'd like to push it harder (it's at 100mph with a mild prop) and this new 400 amp esc may be a new option for us. It's waterproof too.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    No but I'm working with another company on getting a test unit to try out and see how it fairs. I have a sf300 in my 37" cat right now and I'd like to push it harder (it's at 100mph with a mild prop) and this new 400 amp esc may be a new option for us. It's waterproof too.
    Saw that. I have a 300 amp Alien I've run in a 40" cat for racing this year and it's done very well. A lot better cooling than the Swordfish esc's.

Ok after reading this my head is spinning. Reading this it would seem that ever control dies. Thats just not the case. BUT I do want to find out whats going on. Its not fun having for any of us if you get a dead esc. On average about 100 to 120 controls every 2 months from Hifei. I dont have the exact numbers with me, but this year in repairs Ive sent back approx 20-25 units. The only units not repaired were controls that were blown up.

We cover them for 30 days from purchase. After that they are sent directly to the factory for up to a year. But after the 30 days we will still gladly send it back to hifei for you. But it takes longer then sending it direct because I wait for a few to come back because of High shipping costs.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Ok after reading this my head is spinning. Reading this it would seem that ever control dies. Thats just not the case. BUT I do want to find out whats going on. Its not fun having for any of us if you get a dead esc. On average about 100 to 120 controls every 2 months from Hifei. I dont have the exact numbers with me, but this year in repairs Ive sent back approx 20-25 units. The only units not repaired were controls that were blown up.

We cover them for 30 days from purchase. After that they are sent directly to the factory for up to a year. But after the 30 days we will still gladly send it back to hifei for you. But it takes longer then sending it direct because I wait for a few to come back because of High shipping costs.
    Steven, when I had issues with my controller I did get you involved. Hifei didn't back down off the user error. My reason for posting this was to show what could be occurring to help others that may have burned up their controllers and to show Hifei they need better quality control.

Steven, when I had issues with my controller I did get you involved. Hifei didn't back down off the user error. My reason for posting this was to show what could be occurring to help others that may have burned up their controllers and to show Hifei they need better quality control.
    Oscar i do remember you contacting me. Wasnt that 3 or 4 years ago? If I remember correctly they sent pictures of a esc wire that was cut and shorting out on the case.
    Steven Vaccaro

Oscar i do remember you contacting me. Wasnt that 3 or 4 years ago? If I remember correctly they sent pictures of a esc wire that was cut and shorting out on the case.
    Yep that was me. But the wires were not cut like that before it burned up. If I remember there were wires that came off when the esc caught fire. The marks could've happened when they came off. Lots of if's. And there was nothing in the logs I provided that showed any signs of arching. But pictures of a new enclosed esc with a kinked water line is something that should never have left their factory.

The one in your picture is a disgrace. It should have never left like that. Does the esc in the picture belong to Charles H? Is Yes we have forwarded this picture to Hifei in August.
    Steven Vaccaro

On average about 100 to 120 controls every 2 months from Hifei. I dont have the exact numbers with me, but this year in repairs Ive sent back approx 20-25 units. The only units not repaired were controls that were blown up.
    Based on these rough numbers that is about a 3% failure rate. It is likely higher as not everyone will bother or is able to send them back, or they may have gone to hifei direct. The one I have, was purchased unused from another boater who had purchased it from OSE. It lasted 10-12 runs and died. All the fets had bulged. As I am in New Zealand it was just not worth sending it anywhere for repair. No bad to you Steven or OSE.
    It is likely that there are a lot of happy SF esc users out there who have never had problems, however this is one of those threads where the responses will be from those with bad experiences. The hit and miss of the SF esc's means that there is a need for some good well priced units in the market. Ultimately a unit like the T-180 v2 in a 240A model would be awesome, even better in a HV version.
    I am considering an MGM in the future possibly, it might be expensive, but if they are reliable and go the distance then it would be money well spent.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

The one in your picture is a disgrace. It should have never left like that. Does the esc in the picture belong to Charles H? Is Yes we have forwarded this picture to Hifei in August.
    Yes, it's from Charles.

I wouldn't bring this up but someone asked about Flier. I have a friend that sells custom trucks. He and i have been friends since I started. Here is something he sent me.

Had to file a Paypal case against Flier ESCs since there ESCs turned out to be junk. We pulled 12 ESCs out to attempt to get running. All ESCs but one either burnt up upon plugging in, or never were able to be programmed for smooth reliable reverse/brakes - Always sporadic with brake power and engaging any reverse. The one that we did get running well lasted 10 minutes. We spent a total of 15 man hours working on the ESCs in an attempt to adjust the programming settings and upload new firmare to fix the issues with no success.

This was with a castle 2028 motor
    Steven Vaccaro

Disturbing on the Fliers.

I hope Hifei can get it together.

I had 240 burn on the bench. Never made water.
    I still have a 120 that will only deliver maybe 60% throttle. Estimating.
    I have a 300 lite that I traded for just before the Cup. Guy bought just to trade to me so it was new in the box. I ran that at the Cup in my scale. Worked great. About 8 runs total. Took it to the CanAm in August without changing anything. Just greased the shaft. Dead.
    I have a second 300 that I bartered for. Runs normal until the first turn then dies....comes to life.....dies.....comes to life.................and dies....wait!...it's on!......and .....nope. Frustrating as hell. I may try that unit with the timing set back to auto and see if it will run.

I'm not saying I'm the sharpest hammer in the bag but you would think I could get them to work. I can't figure them out.
    Noisy person

Ok so after so many issues why not ged rid of the shelves these junk electronics......I've just finished a rigger equipped with a 240A motor and seems that the 300 Lite will die very quickly so I decided to postpone its maiden till we have a fair response from Hifei........ or will have to get an expensive MGM that will worth my bucks....really not funny.Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

I have had a 100% failure rate with Hifei's Sword Fish ESC Not one that I have tested is still running You are right grsboats Not funny. It is not if, it when. 21 days since I mailed the 4 ESC'c back to Hifei not a word.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Ugh O. Not good for sales

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    I have had a 100% failure rate with Hifei's Sword Fish ESC Not one that I have tested is still running You are right grsboats Not funny. It is not if, it when. 21 days since I mailed the 4 ESC'c back to Hifei not a word.
    Hi Randy,
    We haven't received your parcel yet, and there is no updated tracking info for your package yet.
    Please kindly call you local usps customer service to find out (In China, there is no usps, so we can not tracking the location of your package)

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...=UH001399010US

Randy.jpg

Is this accurate? You bought 4 and all of them were dead when you tested them? None of them worked?
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Disturbing on the Fliers.

I hope Hifei can get it together.

I had 240 burn on the bench. Never made water.
    I still have a 120 that will only deliver maybe 60% throttle. Estimating.
    I have a 300 lite that I traded for just before the Cup. Guy bought just to trade to me so it was new in the box. I ran that at the Cup in my scale. Worked great. About 8 runs total. Took it to the CanAm in August without changing anything. Just greased the shaft. Dead.
    I have a second 300 that I bartered for. Runs normal until the first turn then dies....comes to life.....dies.....comes to life.................and dies....wait!...it's on!......and .....nope. Frustrating as hell. I may try that unit with the timing set back to auto and see if it will run.

I'm not saying I'm the sharpest hammer in the bag but you would think I could get them to work. I can't figure them out.
    May I have your email address?
    I will send you email
    Thank you in advance.
    Summer

Over several years I had a 100% failure rate with Castle Creations(cremations) 240HV ... and to some extent the 240LV
    *user error .. water damage ( but the bloody thing was always bone dry ?? )
    *user error .. died on connect .. please explain how ? ....
    *user error .. too many amps .. ?.. huh ??.. 1515/2200 4s1p25c4400 on 240LV .. wth ?
    *user error.. overheated .. bah-humbug..new esc fried on contact ..
    *user error .. cap legs burned off ... excessive load .. ditto 1515/2200 4s1p25c4400 on 240LV
    *user error .. unable to program esc.. how in heck can Catle-Fink usb programmer put too much voltage in ???.
    *possible user interference !! .. . .. I blame the Mexican assembly workshop.......
    Each return from Au to US was a costly exercise indeed .(+50usd postage ). costly repairs for what were not user errors .. excuses and near zero customer service.
    Frustrated at repeating out-of-bag failures , flabbergasted at inane 'user error' reports, horrified I was charged repairs and postage for flawed product assembly..
    When sending esc back to Castle for repairs, this was a 6-10 week turn around from here .. adding 40-60usd to the repair bill.. user error ( but it died on first contact ? ) ..we can generously offer you 1/2 RRP new replacement ( and if this dies ? ) ..Please be assured the esc will work fine ( 2 surface mount component were rattling around in the retail bag, FFS .. it FLAMED on contact .. USER ERROR, no warranty. oh come on FFS .. .) ...
    Beef Hooked.. Castle lost my faith
    Castle finally abandoned marine esc ... .. problem solved.

Anything posted US→China→US is a 5+ week journey .. unless 'express' which halves the time but quadruples the cost.

As an electronics engineer designing ( and repairer of) complex circuits .. having a variety of people jump on the bad luck band wagon and sing songs of failures doesnt truly help with product correction... indubitably there is always room for improvement even with the best available this rings true ..

We've lost Castle as a provider ...
    We've lost Shulze 40-160 .. ( why stop manufacture of this brilliant esc ?? ... why release the 40-161 which is insipid by comparison ??.
    We've no faith in FlierRc pop-n-blo esc.
    We love MGM, but massive amp provision = massive esc .. and if you're happy with MGM, why post in this thread ?. ..how many of you have actually held their 63v400A ?.. haha

here for the long haul, not splashing about in the shallows.
    Wayne Schutte PhdCSE BaSE BaEE. Australian, & damn proud of it YOUTUBE
    @ 36" H&M Maritmo twin1512/1800 6S1P 88mph @ 40" drag hydro#1 twin 5692 12S1P .....always for fun @

I bought a used 240 in swap shop a few years ago. Ran without a blip in a 40" mono, 6s2p, SSS 5684-1200kv and 55mm props. It never skipped a beat, never got warm.

Put it in my Whip 40 with custom TP Power 4070-1250kv and ran like the Dickens but stopped here and there. When back at shore temps were nasty, 180*f !! It's still chouching along. It likes the new 1170kv HET motor better, no stop and go.

I'm going to try the tp again next spring with shorter leads and remove a cooling bottleneck.

Keep you posted.

The 220 Opto did not like doing more than 4 laps at best. Again, possible cooling bottleneck ....
    Nortavlag Bulc

If I could describe a Castle XL-2 to a SF 240 I would say, Castle is well made but fussy design, SF is well made and not fussy design, straight forward and simplified.

They aren't perfect but I like them better than many others.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by Silver954 View Post
    I just melted down a swordfish 220a plus in a twin kbb45. From reading this thread Michlee the representative from Hifei is treating us like a bunch of morons.
    I will tell you what, you don't need to tell us to have a good day because we are not having one since your product crapped out and smoked out the boats.

Have some respect and provide a real warranty and a decent product, otherwise keep flapping the BS and that way it's very clear your business is not worth our time.
    You don't need to communicate with the engineer, you need to communicate with the boss that the product is unreliable.

Please don't respond if all you have to say is have a good day or thank you for the information (have some respect that we are not morons like yourself)
    With all due respect, getting upset and typing like that isn't going to help. I don't think she is treating us like morons, just trying to be courteous and respectful. You've got to understand they are from a different country and they don't talk like we do.

Now I'll agree, I've seen lots of issues here lately and right now we are almost bent over a barrel with the very few choices in buying escs. I do want to give them a fair chance to get their stuff together and up their game up or I'm going to seek out investors and manufacturers so I can have better units made and offered for everyone. This has been on my mind for a while and I don't like the situation we are currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    With all due respect, getting upset and typing like that isn't going to help. I don't think she is treating us like morons, just trying to be courteous and respectful. You've got to understand they are from a different country and they don't talk like we do.

Now I'll agree, I've seen lots of issues here lately and right now we are almost bent over a barrel with the very few choices in buying escs. I do want to give them a fair chance to get their stuff together and up their game up or I'm going to seek out investors and manufacturers so I can have better units made and offered for everyone. This has been on my mind for a while and I don't like the situation we are currently in.
    travis,,, sorry bro she is blowing smoke up all your AZZ 's,,, pretty simple,, my friend actions speak loader then words !!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast