Thread: My hatch bolt method step by step

Default My hatch bolt method step by step

Since I sold more of these hatch bolt kits than I thought I would, I'd like to return the favor to you guys and do a small how to on my method of installing them.

First I run my hatch seal. Then if the rail isn't wide enough I use a gasket punch from harbor freight (I had to sharpen it some) and cut a notch out neatly from the seal.
    Then I use a drill bit in the t nut to mark my spot once I determine its general location.

Just twist the drill bit (one that fits in the t nut with hardly any slack, bout .130 size) and I makes a mark like the above pic

Gasket punch in this pic. Then drill a pilot hole. Go up one drill bit size at a time. If your using number bits that would take foreve do jump .010-.015 at a time till you get to .221".

Once you have your hole drilled, scuff up that nut and the bottom of the rail with rough sand paper. Test fit.

This is a step I do that you don't have to. I think it looks tacky sticking out like that so I grind it down a little on one side till its flush. Much better looking.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Now it's time for gluing in. Mix up some trust jb weld and put some on it. Make sure both surfaces are clean of course.

Now I made some brass sleeves that help to draw the t nuts tight in the hole, hold them in place while the jb cures and also makes them straight.

Put the t nut in the hole. Line it up straight then put the sleeve over it. DO NOT GET EPOXY IN OR ON THE THREADS! You will be sorry!! Then drew the thumb screw in and draw it tight. That part is done. Tomorrow I'll show you how to line the top up for drilling.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

ok guys, sorry I've dropped the ball on this. Had a little bit a a snafu last week. My house flooded in all that bad weather we had. Anyway I went ahead and finished this up for you gouts tonight. Here's the rest of it.

First you need to acquire some 8-32 screws. Or all thread. Don't matter. Needs to be at least an inch long.

Cut the heads off and sharpen them. I chuck them up in a drill and turn them against a running bench grinder or belt sand. They need to have a sharp tip on them.

Screw them in your t nuts with the points facing up. Like so...

Then put you some masking tape in the area close to where they would contact when you set the top down on them.

Now center the top. Sometimes I use razor blades on each side as shims to center it. Then press semi firmly in each area where the screw points are. Then you'll see snark on your masking tape where it contacts. That's where you drill. Use a small drill bit first (1/16")

Last edited by kfxguy; 08-22-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Updated. Hope this helps you guys or gives you some ideas.

I love these. Long story short I had my cat upside down for about 15 minutes Saturday. Not a drop of water inside when I got it

Thx. This method really does work well. It's the only way I fly.

Great guide! Might need these for my Zonda
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Mmm, learned a new trick today! Had not thought of that last part Travis. That would work great.

I'm not at all trying to be disrespectful or anything, but would it not be easier to go from the canopy to the hull instead of the hull to the canopy? The canopy is the part that's seen. I get everything aligned and plunge straight down. After the holes are in place, then the brass tube idea would be gold. That's just my take on it.

Man I suffered a bit with this while the site was down. I'm at the stage of drilling my hatch now. Waiting for the epoxy to cure first.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Finished! IMG_3278.jpg

Travis, are these 1/4-20 T-Nuts? I've been thinking about trying some smaller M4 T-nuts, I don't think I have enough flat deck on my mono to use such a large thumb screw. My other thought was to just epoxy some aluminum under the hull canopy opening and drill/tap that?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Travis, are these 1/4-20 T-Nuts? I've been thinking about trying some smaller M4 T-nuts, I don't think I have enough flat deck on my mono to use such a large thumb screw. My other thought was to just epoxy some aluminum under the hull canopy opening and drill/tap that?
    6-32 or 8-32 is what I use. In tight spots or smaller boats the 6-32 does the trick. You can epoxy some aluminum and drill and tap that, just make sure the thickness is sufficient for the threads that they don't pull through.

Kfx,

Do you sell these kits still. If so I'd like to buy one asap

Quote Originally Posted by RuntheraceAMC View Post
    Kfx,

Do you sell these kits still. If so I'd like to buy one asap
    Yes I sell some kits. Pm me.

You can put grease in the threads when gluing parts in to prevent jb weld from sticking things together.

What type of adhesive backed foam do you use?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    You can put grease in the threads when gluing parts in to prevent jb weld from sticking things together.

What type of adhesive backed foam do you use?

I don't know the name brand. I bought 25 rolls of it a while back. I can sell you some if you need some.