Thread: TP Motor for my Wild Thing for P Mono

Default TP Motor for my Wild Thing for P Mono

Guys,

I want to upgrade the motor in my P Mono Wild Thing. I was using an Fieago 10XL cause I'm Cheap. I ran it in practice at the Nats in 2014. I burnt it up trying to get more out of it. I never raced it that year.

I don't want to go with a NEU, but thought I might give TP motors a try. My limiting factor now is ESC. I have only Castle 120's. They work fine for the Fieago, but I'm sure I would push it with the right TP motor to make it competitive. What's a good choice for P. I do have a Castle 240 that I'm sending back to Castle for repair. I know that the NEU would be better for the performance, but again I'm cheap.

I am hoping to get the boat competitive for P Mono at the Cub next year. I'm way out of practice. Maybe I'll come over and join you guys for a race.

Jay

Newton's third law of racing says "you can only beat people who are cheaper than you"

Suggest TP Power 4070 2250 wind.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

More motor than you need and 4060 will do, pull less amps.

Some people use Castle 1515s which can be inexpensive. Is the empty hull built heavy or light compared to a 2 lb df cyber storm?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post

Some people use Castle 1515s which can be inexpensive. Is the empty hull built heavy or light compared to a 2 lb df cyber storm?
    You're right, Ray. I was looking at the max kv that I would run on 4 cells to stay out in front. But what kv 4060 are you recommending, the 1950? Don't just give the OP a size to order when he still has to make a kv selection.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Ray,

The boat with motor installed weighs 4lb 12oz. So I'm thinking the 4070 with 2050kv. I may want to run both P Offshore and P Mono. I'm not sure if the 4060 would be enough motor for the weight of the Wild Thing. My brother built the boat and he is a finish carpenter. It's built strong, but heavy. It's a work of art.

Jay

Heavy needs the juice. Would a used 1521 1.5d work? I may part with one.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Heavy needs the juice. Would a used 1521 1.5d work? I may part with one.
    The 1521 1.5D is probably what it really needs, but I was thinking a TP for cost. I don't remember weighing it before this. The weight is with motor and hardware. It's heavy.

Ray! What do you have to get for it?

Jay

Hi Jay,

A few of us have been running the TP 4060 1950 KV motor in P just about everything with GREAT success. I have one in my Cheetah with an Octura X 646/3 blade and won P-cat at this years Michigan cup. If you remember Terry Davis' "Tide" whiplash, that he calls the "lead sled" because of the weight, he is running that in P-Sport and is the boat to beat.

As far as an ESC is concerned, a Seaking 180 will work but I've really liked the way OSE Raider 150 performs. I have a Raider 150 in my P-Sport and it performs as well if not better than the Seaking.

Just my 2cents
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Tom makes a great suggestion and beats what I would like for my neu 1521.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    Hi Jay,

A few of us have been running the TP 4060 1950 KV motor in P just about everything with GREAT success. I have one in my Cheetah with an Octura X 646/3 blade and won P-cat at this years Michigan cup. If you remember Terry Davis' "Tide" whiplash, that he calls the "lead sled" because of the weight, he is running that in P-Sport and is the boat to beat.

As far as an ESC is concerned, a Seaking 180 will work but I've really liked the way OSE Raider 150 performs. I have a Raider 150 in my P-Sport and it performs as well if not better than the Seaking.

Just my 2cents
    Please mention what performance features are better. Just trying to understand how to compare different products.

Thanks
    Ron - The Villages, FL