Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushless Miss Elam

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    My vote goes to the Pro Boat Elam. Faster, Slower, Sharper, Rounder, Whatever... I think the Elam is a better looking boat.
    might get one during spring time. right now a ice breaker is more apropiate

From the first video's it looks as if the UL1 is faster, but in my eyes the Elam is a much better scale looking boat. There is more than speed in rc boating. Remember not every rc boater has a club to race these with in the country. Some of the most fun I have is playing with my son and his pt109. It does about 10mph max.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Currently on Aquacrafts web sight they are having a survey of what would be a good scale boat to manufacture. Though it would not be scale, I told them to build a cool looking Rigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    From the first video's it looks as if the UL1 is faster, but in my eyes the Elam is a much better scale looking boat. There is more than speed in rc boating. Remember not every rc boater has a club to race these with in the country. Some of the most fun I have is playing with my son and his pt109. It does about 10mph max.

Good pointe, it looks great! And with what I've seen of the BJ26 on 5s and 6s. The Miss Elam should be fast as well..

New Elam is awesome. Very stable at high speed and stays on plane in the corners. Got mine just before Christmas and am very impressed. Down sides are a few and include need for added flotation to magnetic cover and battery tray designed specifically for 7.2 volt stick pack. 20 volt speed control maximum might affect some of the Lipo guys. A lot better looking than the UL-1.

All around a heavier boat for the Elam. Andy knows his stuff on hydro dynamics. I do not think the AQ will handle chop near as well with the sponson shape. I am also concerned how the hull will hold up on the AQ after some battling...turn fins may be an issue already.

Also, realize the AQ is lighter and runs a 2030 KV motor compared to 1500 KV in the PC vesion. Lighten the Elam up and run the same motor. The AQ is made for top end by design of the front sponsons...battling it out in a corner of rough water will be the real issue and which comes out in front.

I still have some video of D Twaits jr running the UL1 years ago with a wire drive and Aveox and it is still faster than anything I have seen go thru a corner. I will try and load it up on this site.

Forget the radio issue...they will be available before long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    All around a heavier boat for the Elam. Andy knows his stuff on hydro dynamics. I do not think the AQ will handle chop near as well with the sponson shape. I am also concerned how the hull will hold up on the AQ after some battling...turn fins may be an issue already.

Also, realize the AQ is lighter and runs a 2030 KV motor compared to 1500 KV in the PC vesion. Lighten the Elam up and run the same motor. The AQ is made for top end by design of the front sponsons...battling it out in a corner of rough water will be the real issue and which comes out in front.

I still have some video of D Twaits jr running the UL1 years ago with a wire drive and Aveox and it is still faster than anything I have seen go thru a corner. I will try and load it up on this site.

Forget the radio issue...they will be available before long anyway.

Actually the Elam is lighter by about 6 ounces or so.
    Steven Vaccaro

Wow... 6 oz is a good decrease in weight. Thanks for clearing that up...even better. I thought it ran a radio box and all that. Must be a nice FG job.

Is that hull only or just all but no cells?

Hmmm...
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Wow... 6 oz is a good decrease in weight. Thanks for clearing that up...even better. I thought it ran a radio box and all that. Must be a nice FG job.

Is that hull only or just all but no cells?
    That was out of the box weight minus cells. As Jay Turner has said on many occasions, the weight doesn't really matter with these. I just wanted to clear the air after reading the opposite on another forum.
    Steven Vaccaro

Yes, a little weight is not an issue anymore...I still like lighter if possible. I can always add to it if needed but it usually allows me to push a little bigger prop.

So who has an Elam that would drop a new AQ 6 pole in it to test?

I am considering exactly that Jeff, funny you mentioned...
    :)

Man, if I add any more weight I'm gonna look like Santa Claus. The holidays are tough!

Oh, you mean BOAT weight.

Never mind :)

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Is this the 20meg video you meant, Jeff? It's from the 2000 Nats in NJ. The yellow boat that the camera follows is my UL1ABU shown in the picture below from the 1999 Nats, painted up as UL-10 Earls (the real boat ran under Earl's sponsorship in 1999). It was powered by an Aveox spinning an M447.

The blue boat chasing it (it cuts a buoy and spins out) is Larry Larson's Bandit hull, I believe it was known as the Larsony when it was being manufactured. I think Larry used the same motor but I'm not sure about the prop. Dick or Larry would know more about that boat than I remember.

It looks fast, but it was 1/2 mile race in about 1:20 according to the video.

Andy

yep...great video with some serious driving. Those were probably 2000 or 2400 cells. Can you imagine how they would run now with the motors and the cells we have?

I still have one you sent me in ABS put together by your kids. I may decide to put it together and finish it but it needs cutting apart to put bracing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    The blue boat chasing it (it cuts a buoy and spins out) is Larry Larson's Bandit hull, I believe it was known as the Larsony when it was being manufactured.
    Andy... Is THIS the blue boat from the video???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

It sure looks like it. Ask Dick or Larry - they'll know.

As I recall Larry's boat was wood (built from the Dave Frank plans).

That was AGES ago, Darin!

Andy

First time ever that I saw the sponson design like that was from Doug Forrester...do you think he got the the idea from another source...like Larry? Seems Larry's version came out later.

Wish I had my Forrester hull again because it would be a good comparison. Wood kits make great molds.

Way off topic folks

It was successful in nitro for several years before Dave Frank published it, and even then, he was still using an improved version vs. what was published on the RCBM plans. There's more to sponson design than the very front end.

Andy

The topic is hydro Elam and Brushless...I think we are close...talking hydros in a hydro post. Sponson design and comparing Elam to the UL.

I have seen threads go much farther off topic than this. BUT I hear ya. You might want to either contribute unless you like spending your time being a thread troll. :)

So the elam is a better looking boat, lighter and can probably corner better than the UL and handle rougher water conditions during racing -- based on sponson design...that is what I am taking away from this thread.

I have seen threads go much farther off topic than this. BUT I hear ya. You might want to either contribute unless you like spending your time being a thread troll. :)

Thread troll,,,thats original. As you are a relative newbie to this site, I'll let that slide.

As for contributing,,,,,,,, most of what is posted on this boat is still speculation as I don't think that too many members here have one. Lets hear from someone with actual experience with this boat when more people get there hands on them.

He's been around us a while - longer than this site has existed.

Andy

I put the smile there for a reason...I thought it was funny.

I am always wanting to hear from people that are actually running what we talk about. 2nd hand is nothing.

Oh and anytime Andy he has anything to say about hydros and design it is worth listening to. Most here never owned the original UL or even ran one. It shaped what we have today and the LSH class would have never been off the ground without Andy or his hull.

Andy was the only reason I ever got in to really FE boats. Can you imagine years ago getting a UL with a 290/30/4 plett in it in the mail and note saying...go run my boat and see what you think...heck...nothing could touch it back then running big brushed pletts and 12 cells....1700 and 2000 mah cells at that. I was hooked.

Whoops...off topic again...cheers, Andy

I have a had a chance to run my Miss Elam Brushless several times now. This boat corners extremely well and maintains plane in any cornering situation that I have put it in with the exception of an all out hard right. Top end speed is just under the top end of a Supervee brushless running 14.4 volt. I had the opportunity to run with two supervees both would slightly out run my Elam (which is still bare bone stock) in the straight aways but in the corners I would rapidly make up ground or make a pass. We were running a small pond that turns choppy very quickly with a few boats on it and the Elam handled the chop with no problem at all.
    I think this boat will turn a lot of heads and draw some serious attention when it hits the race circuits and starts receiving some motor mods.
    Great boat with a lot of potential, I can't wait for warmer weather. It got awful cold out the other day and I fear ice will soon set in on some of the small ponds in my area and stop my fun for the rest of the winter.

Can you fit a 7 cell hump in the Elam?

I'm not sure, here is a inside picture. I think it will be very, very tight.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...9&d=1229808451
    Steven Vaccaro

Nice boats!!! how does the hatch stay shut on the UL-1...I'm a noob to the boating world. When I get the boat I have a few 7 cell packs Ill see if they'll fit. How does the Elam handle have you flipped it at all? Can it handle the chop ok?

Macz,
    the hatch has to be taped down, the nose (cockpit) has magnets but you still wanna tape it down.

Nice, you have both boats..
    What would you say are the pros and cons of each boat?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast