Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brushless Miss Elam

Macz,

Sorry for the late reply to your question. A seven cell hump pack will not fit in the Elam. The boat was specifically designed for a six cell stick pack. A seven cell stick pack can be somewhat wedged into the boat but I would not count on it staying in one place inside under running conditions. I think you would be stuck with 6 cell nimh or go lipo. The Elam handles the chop very well, I have not had an incident yet where I thought I was going to be upside down. I have pushed this boat and am still searching for a limit that concerns me with loosing control.

Someone else asked me about the construction of this boat. I feel that this bought is constructed very well and is very light for its size and fiberglass construction. My Elam had no blemishes or inconsistencys in construction that I have found since purchasing. In addition I was also looking originally for a boat that could run well on my existing nimh batteries and charger. I would advise making sure that any batteries that you do run are of very high quality and have been maintained properly.

Happy boating,

Rob

Default brushless miss elam

Hi Rob sent you a private message about this boat did you read it Thank You Eric.

Ok well I bought an Elam just not brushless...I got a new one off ebay for $170 couldnt beat the price...Its a nitro Elam but just to get started with the brushles it wouldve been like $500..So I'd say for $170 I couldnt pass it up. The guy had a collection of hydos..I guess the economy is taking a toll....

Eric,

Got your message.

I am very happy with my Elam, it is well built and had no blemishes or problems out of the box. I am running a matched set of Reedy 3600 nimh batteries in my Elam. I didn't want to go overboard with lipo right away, like you said too much $$$. The only down fall of the nimh is that the boat was built for 6 cell stick packs.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Many have speculated as to which boat is faster - The UL-1 or the Miss Elam Brushless. Well I got both boats at the same time and the UL-1 totally kicks the crap out of the Elam. I really hoped they would be closer in speed so i could have more fun with racing them against each other but you really have to change out the motor IMO to be anywheres close or at least bump up the voltage (and risk blowing the ESC). The Elam is more stable but that's because its so much slower. I've ran these both at the same time against each other on the same pond. The UL-1 has a problem turning into a sub when trying to get on plane but when it does - its gone! So for any of you who are planning on changing out the motor or ESC in the Elam, i'm really interested in your recommendations. I would love to have a much tighter race between these two!

Quote Originally Posted by Treydog View Post
    Many have speculated as to which boat is faster - The UL-1 or the Miss Elam Brushless. Well I got both boats at the same time and the UL-1 totally kicks the crap out of the Elam. I really hoped they would be closer in speed so i could have more fun with racing them against each other but you really have to change out the motor IMO to be anywheres close or at least bump up the voltage (and risk blowing the ESC). The Elam is more stable but that's because its so much slower. I've ran these both at the same time against each other on the same pond. The UL-1 has a problem turning into a sub when trying to get on plane but when it does - its gone! So for any of you who are planning on changing out the motor or ESC in the Elam, i'm really interested in your recommendations. I would love to have a much tighter race between these two!
    Just curious... what props, batteries, etc., were you using on these two boats?

The UL-1, with 2030KV motor, and the Elam, with it's 1500KV motor, are going to require much different props to make each work...

I suspect the Elam likely needs some sponson work as well, but I'll have to get one on my workbench to know this for sure...

Would sure like to see them come out with an Oberto in this style of boat!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

It doesn't start out as an even fight. In order to equal the boats with minimal investment a larger prop can be used on the Elam.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Hey Darin, I was just reading your UL-1 race prep thread. Great stuff! Trying to remember all the specs since I am now at work but I know I ran these both at the same time over Christmas holidays with both factory props on. I used a pair of 2s 3200mAh lipos in the UL-1 and a pair of Duratrax 6 cell 4200 niMH in the Elam. I had been reading on the BJ26 forums (Elam has the same engine) on how the guys upped the battery types and voltage to some strong 6 cell lipos to really get some power but you have to be really careful about over amping the ESC. That would be nice to do since this motor is still basically brand spanking new. Plus I could use the lipos in the UL-1 if I wanted to.

Steven, that may be true but I figured you'd need to get the Proboat card for the ESC and switch from factory niMH settings over to lipos. No way just a prop switch could make that much difference. Wouldn't you agree? I mean you have to have the power to turn a bigger prop and this isn't that close of a race between the two.

No way just a prop switch could make that much difference. Wouldn't you agree?
    NOT even close to true... a prop change can make ALL the difference... It needs to match the power that's there...

These motors are both 6-pole, and about the same mass... but their KV is different, so they deliver their power in different ways... When you are spinning faster, you have to use a smaller prop or you'll over-amp... With the slower turning motor, you make up for the rotational speed by adding prop... pitch and diameter... Somewhere in the curve, the speeds can balance out... You just have to hope that the slower turning motor matches the speed before it exceeds it's amp rating...

The Elam will need a considerably larger prop to keep pace...

Trey, I beg to differ. I think that in the end the UL will prevail in your case for a couple of reasons.
    1- You are using lipos on the UL-1 only - to make it more even you should at least have the same setup as far as power goes.
    2- I have seen the SV motor/esc go into the high 40's, it is a lower Kv motor as well as the Elam is, there is enough power on the Elam motor to go pretty fast. I'd even adventure to say that it would be a close race between the two.

Try using the lipos on the Elam with a 445 (or even a 545) prop, sharp and balanced, that's what I used on my Viper II w/ the SV system to go in the high 40's on 4s w/o any high temps.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Flipping the (switch) on the ESC to run lipos is not needed. Just don't run them down. It is only a voltage cutoff. Make a few passes and bring it in.

Some hull designs get faster as the water is chopped up. They then have the advantage of running in rough water.

No doubt the UL1 should be faster out of the box. It was built that way. Grim did a great job setting it up and sending the specs over. Some may not be perfect from the box but most are very close.

There is no compariosn but glad to hear results.

Ub, I planned on switching to the lipos that i am presently running in the UL-1. The Elam ESC is rated at 45 amps so do you think I'd be OK (for a pair of 2s 3200mah) and the same stock motor turning a Octura M445 (sharpened and balanced)?

Jeff, Are you telling me that I don't need to get the Proboat 20$ card to reset the ESC to run lipos in the Elam? I've read otherwise in the manual.

Jeff, Are you telling me that I don't need to get the Proboat 20$ card to reset the ESC to run lipos in the Elam? I've read otherwise in the manual.
    You need the programming card to set the cutoff voltage, but if you don't run the packs too low, it won't kick in anyhow...

If you are sport boating and just want to run and run and run... then program the cutoff voltage or you'll damage your cells and maybe more...

Ub, I planned on switching to the lipos that i am presently running in the UL-1. The Elam ESC is rated at 45 amps so do you think I'd be OK (for a pair of 2s 3200mah) and the same stock motor turning a Octura M445 (sharpened and balanced)?

If you are running 20c cells then you should be ok... would be better if it was bigger packs and/or higher c rate.
    You DO NEED THE CARD to change the settings...

OK gents, I just ordered a pair of Pro-Match 5200mAh lipos 7.4v 35c for the Miss Elam. Still need to get the programming card but with these figures for lipos, what now would you think to be the best prop to bolt on there? M445 still? The ESC and the motor will stay stock but I think I will now have "room to grow" in the future.

For those who don't know this, the 1/12 Brushless Miss Elam has the same ESC and Motor as found in the BJ26. Would really appreciate your expertise in determining this. Thanks all.

And the same motor is in the Fastech. It is a great motor. It is just built better all around. Of course, you pay for it as well.

I'd say it's safe to use the M445, I used one with the Blue AQ sys and it went great,
    granted that my prop was modded... I'd say that those 35c cells will rock the hull man...
    I noticed a significant increase in power when compared even to the 30c cells.
    I said everything should be safe but please, use the "one minute run and bring to shore" approach,
    just to be safe.

Keep us posted please.

I would probably drop down a prop size, if you moving from 12 NiMH to 4S. Even moving from a lower 4S pack will make a voltage difference.

This will give you a little more safety so you don't over-heat the ESC. The higher voltage and smaller prop dia will allow it to wind up the motor better.

It's always safer to start small and work your way up.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Well I finally got those 5200mAh lipos in as well as the Octura M445 prop. I oredered the two blade prop from here and sharpened and balanced it. One issue for the Miss Elam is it is very difficult to find a pair of lipos in this range that will fit into it. The promatch ones did not. I ended up cutting and sanded the (2) magnetic tabs off on the front. It has a pin just above the cockpit canopy which keeps the hatch closed up front inway. I always tape my hatch down anyways so no real issue there. ANYWAYS, I took her out to the lake yesterday and dude, she's a real competitor for the UL-1 now! Had a slight chop on the pond so yes I did get the hop twice on my run but I never lost control of her. I could only get on it full throttle after I lost some lipo juice or I would have lost her for sure. Checked the batteries and ESC twice during the run and ESC on felt very slightly warm. She is fast as hell now and I'm pretty sure she can outrun my UL-1 but yes, I spent enough money as I could if I had just bought another UL-1. That's just part of this hobby I suppose. That's ok cause I am hooked for sure.

Oh, one thing to point out about the Miss Elam, I had a dickens of a time reinserting the flex shaft after regreasing. In fact it started to unwind tring to reinsert it cause you have to reinsert it into the stuffing box around the prop shaft strut (not like the UL-1 where its all one removable assembly). Ended up just ordering 2 more flex shaft as I see this as a potential pain in the a** in the future!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123