Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SG-121-H unlimited hydro build.

More on the motor cover...will be sanded then cleared. BVM epoxy is run on the seams underneath-not shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The turn fin is enhanced with a scale -like brace. Not fully scale, but it works extremely well and is easily adjustable via the turnbuckles. Alu control horns are added with carbon plate for a very stiff mounting.
    Zero flex!

This is just a better shot of the cockpit spacer and finished inside of the battery compartment.

Front Canard wing and ram wing completed and mounted. s.s. hardware is used here as well.
    Last edited by CatBoi; 09-08-2016 at 09:52 AM.

The STS from Aeromarine, used to keep water out and the shaft lubed. Love this product.

the others are fuel dots from central hobbies, I use them in boats as dry out ports... they will be placed in the wet area under the turbine tray so the boat can be aired out from time to time.

The drive shaft system installed. Super short which I like... the motor angle is very flat which is an added bonus.

Here is a better shot of the shaft arrangement- no Teflon is used.
    11/32 Hull tube,3/8 stuffing tube, 5/16 shaft tube.

Hull vent installed both sides...Wing made adjustable...

Rudder Servo and mount. A carbon fiber pushrod will be used with 3mm ball links.

Quote Originally Posted by CatBoi View Post
    Rudder Servo and mount. A carbon fiber pushrod will be used with 3mm ball links.
    where did you get the servo mount looks nice
    Last edited by meangenesracing; 09-12-2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Parts going to primer... Alu parts going to Anodizer. Only the E.S.C. to mount now...Probably going with a big Etti.

Carbon fiber rudder pushrod from Central Hobbies, Servo Holder from Esprit model.

Ok, its going to slow down for a bit now while I begin the painting process. I would rather build several hulls, than paint just one!
    Painting is very labor intensive considering time for body work, priming and prepping.

The final body work and windshield frames going into place.

ready for paint!

Catboi,
    Looking awesome, can you post a picture showing how the waterproof hatches and the cowlings are configured. I see that you made a motor cover, this gets [taped] down? Did you do the same under the cockpit?

Yes, Here is the completed cover. the rear area under the turbine tray is a wet area, only the two front compartments (as one now) are sealed.

PROBLEM! (time to back track- ugh! )

Building so many aspects of the model, I overlooked the drop down pan in the turbine tray when placing the rudder servo... I thought I had enough clearance but the tray does not lie! So I made a recessed mount from Carbon sheet, watertight and allowing the servo to drop down and stay out of the way. New cooling lines were installed as the old ones were in the way and now too short. I wanted to keep the pushrod short and stout. So I doubled up on the tubes to create a very stiff pushrod with titanium ends (central hobbies).

This is a very cramped space but I drew the divide line at the turbine tray for the radio- motor compartment. So keeping enough room to swing wrenches on the collet was important and the rudder is on the scale side of the boat so this made it tough to fit it all in and still have ample room. Again I needed to keep the pushrod short and front area of the compartment clear for the ESC and cooling lines. so the pretty blue servo holder goes in the next model :) no room for it here.
    Last edited by CatBoi; 10-06-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Here is the finished pushrod one tube glued over the other. You can see the outline of the turbine tray in the last shot, and new pushrod exit which works far better now. Glad I caught it before paint! Now to finish up up cleaning up the hull, sanding, scrubbing clean and masking off for the first color-white. All colors will be over white to make them pop. Found a great blue, a perfect match so it should be looking very close. All of the inner compartments get gloss black or maybe something else.....?
    Last edited by CatBoi; 10-06-2016 at 05:37 PM.

getting the white on....

Been following your build and it's nice to see what tricks you've come up with and it's helping me in figuering out how I'm solving situations, I'm in the process of building the 1991 Winston Eagle.
    You do nice work and hope that at least my white coat turns out that good. Great job! and looking forward to the finished product.

Thank you!

The hull with white. I used alu supports screwed the motor mount and strut holes, then attached to a 2x4 , then that is slid into a weighted ladder. Makes the perfect paint stand.

That's killer!! Did you paint that in your garage? Thinking about setting up a paint booth in my garage but it's windy here in Las Vegas most days. Pretty sure I can pull it off though, will do the white and red and add the graphics but have a buddy that owns a auto body shop and will probably have him do the final clear coat,

Would love to see some videos of your boat running when you finish.

Do you have any idea what props your going to try out, When I had my Circus Circus an Octura X457 was my go to prop but was running a os80 nitro engine back then. Would like to know what your prop of choice is when you get it dialed in.

Actually RC Boat company has a recommended prop to start with...when I get there I will post it.

Blue going on...really pops over the white.

black is next...

Awesome job and progress. Can't wait for the final product.

Sweet!! What brand of paint did you use?

center section painted.

Dupont Nason Urethane system is used.

tape off, now to trim stripes...

carbon parts in center section will be clear coated later...

More taping and masking for the Black stripe but now it is ready for graphics and details.

The windshield is marked and cut using tape as a guide.... access hatches painted on deck for an extra detail, these will die down a bit under the clear.

the windshield will be masked for painted borders around the glass before final install. More on this soon.

A better shot of the windshield tape off method.

a cut out panel which it taped down during a run, is removable allowing access to air out or clean the glazing from time to time. a drive head can be added here as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast