Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: HPR 010 Mono: Very Slow Build

With a HPR 010 deep vee hull you need more voltage, 2 x 8S batteries and 1200kV mototors, with High Voltage esc' s .

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Dang, gorgeous build and talk about planning!

In the event you don?t get sufficient water flow, as I have found with those through hull pickups, these are a good option. Sold on Ose store.
    I suspect your set up will appreciate a good cooling.

Great work!!
    Thank you sir. I tend to over plan and overthink to a destructive level. I don't think it's healthy.

The maiden used a pair of x445 cnc props (4514) with my old 5800mah 35c lipos. Because of the batteries, I didn't want to push it too hard. I maxed it at only 80% throttle, which was still a respectable speed. The struts are pretty much set straight back with the props turning outwards. Even with that, the boat really didn't seem to want to be in the water at all. It was honestly a lot looser than I was expecting, but she still ran pretty stable as is. There is still a tiny leak coming from where the drives mount to the transom. The unnecessary holes for lighting seem to be just fine. The major concern at the moment is the hatch. The front doesn't have too good of a seal. She took in a bit of water after laying belly up for a while. I keep a roll of hatch tape with me though.

A few observations related to the motors:
    - I know this really doesn't matter, but they didn't have that audible presence that I was expecting.
    - The take off felt really weird. I have to double check my ESC settings as everything is still at default, but it felt really hesitant.
    - Even at the lower throttle range that I was using, they were still getting a bit hot. I don't have a temp checker to confirm, but they were in the "uncomfortable to hold" area. I'm a little concerned about whether they could handle larger props. Maybe one of the guys will have a meter tomorrow. To be fair, the motor is spec'd for a 70A ESC.
    - I'm strongly considering going with a pair of 4082 1600kv motors. They would just be more current capacity.

Regarding the water pickup, that's another detail that I couldn't really focus in on too much. I was a little concerned with the fact that these inlets seem a bit...backwards. During cleanup, I ran a small stream with the hose and there didn't seem to be any restriction. I know it's not the same, but I tried to simulate a slow pace with a thin stream going front to back. I don't think that will be an issue. I shouldn't need to add any boat anchors!

As I mentioned before, I don't plan on going 8s. Unless something came a long that could what I have, I have no desire to do a complete overhaul. It's very time consuming to get things here, so I'm staying within a standard spec.

Here's a new motor mount design for 6 hole motor. The center has a 19.5mm hole which should be more than enough for even an 18mm MBP coupler. The current mount is 6.3mm (1/4") thick. I'm going for 8mm this time. That should give a little more "grip" on the side where it mounts to the frame. It will also make the side threading easier.

If you don' t want 8S batteries and HV esc, you can run 1750kV motors, TP 4060 motors, 40mm x 92mm.

http://www.tppowereurope.com/Webwink...71/TP4060.html
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 12-07-2021 at 05:15 AM.

This thread is interesting, Mono Alpha 1 meter 2 x 6S, 4082 motors 2000kV. Look at the video .

https://www.offshore-rc.com/forum/in...ono-alpha-saw/

https://www.offshore-rc.com/forum/up...831b3dcd1d.mp4

Dble

I haven't really been keeping with updates, but man has this boat been a series of weird events, some of which were admittedly self inflicted.

The minor stuff...
    • One of the lights blew out and left a nice pickup port directly into the hull.
    • The port drive shaft got somehow hooked and had one loose wire that I ultimately had to grind off.
    • I really need to work on a better way to seal the hatch. I'll try a thin foam as well as build up the hatch lip a little. Tape works for now though.
    • I'm also still getting a little drip through one of the strut mounting bolts, nothing that can't be fixed with a little silicone.
    • The rear bearing in the port strut somehow came out. It's a very loose fit. The flex shaft is short enough that I'm not worried about much shrinkage, so I just left a little less of a gap. I'm going to try to just find new bearings for both struts.
    • I really need a proper marine receiver. It's not too big of an issue, but playing in salt doesn't take much for it to start spazzing out. Taking the receiver apart and cleaning it with a brush is part of my cleaning ritual.

THE BIG ONES...
    • The motors just can't take it. Two passes and the outrunners are way too hot to touch. I ran the CNC M4616 for a single pass, but even the CNC X4514's are too much. They sound really cool, but I already got the 1600kv 4082 inrunners. Unfortunately, a buddy needed a new motor for his Spartan, so I just gave him one. Plus I didn't get 5mm shaft coupler anyway so that's kind of that for now.
    • It really needs turn fins.
    • My soldering iron handle broke so I can't even try out my larger and fresher 6200mAh 65C 6S pair. The 10yr old Turnigy HD are still hanging in there.

Sorry for me cackling. Today was honestly the first of the four runs or so that I've actually just had fun with it.
    Also Sorry for the vertical video... I swear it's youtube...

The motors I got are branded MSQ from Aliexpress. The seller was actually really cool and reached out to me wit production updates since they weren't in stock when I originally tried to order. The one that went in the Spartan is running as cold as the surrounding water. I figured it would be a bit much for the stock ESC, but there is zero heat. Now that's running only a 42mm prop. We did try a CNC X4514, but ran into other issues with the boat. Even with the limited runs, there was zero heat. I have no reservations about sticking these in with the larger 46-48 props.

These might help...

bearings from a hpr115 drive... not sure if they are different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

That is indeed it. Thanks for the confirmation. I had to use a regular ruler since my calipers ran out of battery.

Slightly off topic but @alfaspirit, is your profile pic the outer limits silver line boat?
    I have a pretty cool custom Mhz skater in that design.. 67" ish long
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678