Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HPR 010 Mono: Very Slow Build

The mount is slowly evolving. That's the good thing about being able to make parts yourself. If the overall idea shifts, you can just make new parts. I brought the side bolts closer together (24mm to 16mm) due to possible clearance issues. The inner hole was increased from 13mm to 18mm to accommodate even larger thrust bearings for 6mm shafts. I replaced the cooling vents with another set of mounting holes. This will allow the motor to be clocked at 45 degree intervals instead of just 90. I also do not like the idea of only using two bolts, so I kept all four. I also made the angle adjustable from 10 to 30 degrees. That should be plenty.

I would like to play around with the idea of water cooling the entire circle instead of just the top edge like all of the other cheesy mounts. The unfortunate part is that it would compromise the overall strength of the mount. The only reason I went with 1/4" was to allow for the use of m4 side bolts.

The motors you see are the FC3730 (larger outrunner), 4082 with a 60mm long jacket, and the smaller HF500 (closer to the Scorpion's size). For reference, the mount with the twin outrunners have 3/16" side plates, while the inrunner/outrunner mount has 1/8" side plates.

As I was making this post, I came up with the last design. No water cooling, but a lot of through holes. It shouldn't compromise strength at all. I can also bevel the edges on one side. (I don't really want to try a two sided bevel again with this machine.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

careful if you ordered the 3730-3 it has 1580 KV

check the manufacturer spec
    http://www.suppomodel.com/motor/H2218.html

Yes I understand. That's why I had it as "1850kv". It's just a typo on the site. Thank you again though.

Here is the new motor mount face. As much as I really like the old style, the new one actually looks pretty good. It's a lot prettier in person than in CAD. The overall quality of the cut is significantly better too. It is a little heavier, 39.6g vs 37.7g. I also cut it with a vertical grain instead of horizontal like the old one.

I wanted to make the side drill jig, but my buddies called me to play a game... That will happen tomorrow.

What's wierd is that my plunge/drill operations do not go all the way through unless I exagerate the depth. In normally leaves a slight skin which you can see in the picture.

The first set of holes was me being stupid. I didn't zero the x a is to a good location. The design was hanging 2mm off of the material.

I really would like to build a vibrating/tumble polisher, then have the parts anodized, but that's a bit more than I want to do at this given moment.

That looks like a great mount. Going good sir!

Now I just have to make the side plates. I want to make them out of 4mm carbon.

Not much done. The rudder seems to be lost... It made it from Germany to the US in one day, took a day to clear customs, and has been mia for four days...

Aside from that, I will split the inner backing plate for the main drive mounts.

Very nice work, everything looks good.

Thank you sirs. I have an alright update.

I placed 2mm depron gaskets at all through hull holes.

Those little cubes are simply m3 threads. I'll glie them down to various points to help clean up water hoses and wiring. They are really easy to make, but even easier to mess up. I don't have a drill press so getting a straight bore on the threads on a part this small is really difficult. Out of the four, two I consider failures, one is alright, and the other is great. I'll probably make a bunch more when I make the ESC base mounts.

I also got a new toy. This will help me get a cleaner cut on the hatch opening. It's a bit overkill, but I got for cutting car hoods. :)

I've hit a planning road block.

Issue #1

I am trying to devise a pull pull setup.

I'll be using these to get the cables through the hull.
    90316d9690967030ba37b9f6cc4527bc_4rkb.jpg

My problem is that the bolt holes on the rudder are 2.5mm in diameter. I refuse to drill them to 3mm. The only ball links I could find have a 2.5mm control rod hole.
    HTB1KWH8KXXXXXbZXXXXq6xXFXXX8.jpg

I would like to use this or similar to connect the wire to the servo arm.
    d53ea0bb03d88d82939026963efa621b.jpg

OR Should I just use rigid rods and call it a day? I will be making my own servo horn which will maintain the same spacing as the rudder.

Issue #2

How much of my brass tube and liner is supposed to go into the struts? I'm assuming that the liner should go as far as possible, but really doesn't matter. Also how do I support the brass tube? The strut mount is really just a giant hole. I could possibly machine new backing plates out of 1/4" or 1/2" that have stuffing supports built it. Sorry for the noob question.

It took a while and my brain now farts when I try, but I figured something out. I will not have to drill my control horns out. I get ball joints on both ends. It can be adjusted. It shouldn't have any issues passing through bellows. It will also use 2mm cable. The downside is that I have to get the parts from four different sources.

linkage.jpg

I'm also strongly considering the Lift and Turn Latches. I can get them from here in the US for $37 shipped which is waaaaaay cheaper than what MHZ (Germany) sells them for. If anyone is interested, it is the first page in this link. They were used in both of the following builds.
    http://www.hpr-powerboats.ch/cpg149/....php?album=204
    http://www.hpr-powerboats.ch/cpg149/...bum=108&pos=10

Got some work done today. I made the cut outs for the water inlets. They are a little close so I will most likely cut the top barb off. They are a lot bigger than I thought they would be, so now I need to get larger 4mm hose instead of the 3mm that I picked up.

I went with 7mm brass tubing with liner. (I like my metrics.) The flex is really tight though. It may just be the end so I will cut off about 20mm and try again. If not I'll just go linerless. The second issue is that one prop shaft fits the cables fine. The other is too tight. The shafts are not the same... They are getting rejected by the prop shaft that came with the rusted drive dog and shorter threads.

I actually filled the shaft holes and redrilled them. What ever stuffing I go with will be directly epoxied to the transom.

Although not shown, I started trimming the hatch opening.

looking great! The rubber pieces you want to use for the pull pull setup... Don't bother. The water will still go through those because the cables are not solid metal. All you need are plastic tubes with oil in them - no water will go in. Another problem with those rubber pieces is that they just create extra work for the servo. Also, have you heard of secraft couplers? You can get those on ebay.

I have taken a look at the Secraft hardware. I also read you loud and clear. I actually can't even access the inside portion of the pushrod exit. I was more interested in it for aesthetic reasons, but they are huge. They have 8mm inner diameters.

After working with the shafts a little, I have found that one of them is just undersized. I can try to:
    1) drill the shaft out.
    2) shave the outer diameter on the flex
    3) complain about spending $250 on hardware that can't even fit what it's made for.

I also trimmed the barbs on the inlets.

Why do you need such large inlets? They look too big for the boat style and serve no real purpose. You could use a tiny brass tube connected to a plastic tube large enough to barely clear the steering cables. And for your previous dilemma, just drill out the drives, don't mess with the flex diameters. Do they at least spin a little in there or way too big? You could put the cable into a drill and just let it spin to break it in.

I won't be using the pass throughs.

The shaft needs about .5mm worth of reaming. They aren't close to fitting as is. There is no forcing it in.

oh, i see. It's been a while since I used those. I'd definitely grind the cable down to make it fit. I'd use a drill on one end, wrap sandpaper around the other and just spin it so it's uniform. Also, I'd add some roughness on the inside of the shaft with sandpaper or a drill bit so you get a better bite.

Got the motors! I weighed one of them at 300g.

Man, those look like beasts!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Ya, they're beefier than I was expecting.

In other news, I ordered the carbon, servo, couplers, and some connectors. The couplers are coming from China though.

The ball links and mount for the servo arm went out for delivery on the 15th. Apparently it was forwarded and has been lost ever since. Aside from that, I have most of the hardware. I got 1/4" brass for the stuffing and will run it without the liner. I already bent it to shape. I just have to cut the middle (for a left and right) and trim to match the motor shafts. I got aluminum tubing in six different diameters. I'm supposed to be getting the carbon, servo, and connectors today (23rd), but highly doubt that. I have the cable as well. I knew it was going to be overkill but wow.

And there's my useless update...

It looks awesome. Mechanized are really beautiful.

If I understood well, is expecting shipments of China ?. So you do not feel bad, I also hope shipments from the month of July !!! ... and HKong from September 1 ...

Thank you!

I do not mind the wait. The boat will not have it's maiden until the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

I got the 3mm carbon parts done. The four longer cutouts on the battery tray are not perfect so I will finish those up by hand. The endmill took the easy way and deflected to the open inner region during the cuts. The rest is perfect though. The tray has an 80mm adjstment range. I would have gone longer, but didn't due to raw material size. The battery sled itself will be made out of 2mm.

I laminated a 2mm piece over a portion of 3mm. That 5mm piece will be used for the motor mounts. I will get to that as well as a few more aluminum bits on Monday or Tuesday.

I made the motor mount side plates made. I couldn't wait. I laminated a 2mm and a 3mm sheet to create a 5mm sheet. You can't even tell it was two pieces. The completed motor mount (without motor screws) weighs 75g.

The battery tray weighs 136g. The estimated sled weight is 67g, so I should be around 220g with all hardware. That is 45g heavier than HPR's version, but is significantly stronger since it is 3mm and not 2mm, and fits the hull much better. My design also gives a little more versatility.

The servo mount (minus aluminum bottom plate) weighs 17.5g.

Above all else, I designed every bit of hardware going inside this boat.

I cut the stuffing tubes to length. Should I epoxy them to the transom, or would I be better off using silicone? I will make a support bracket out of 3mm. The main purpose would be to keep the spacing correct during install. I would probably use silicone for the supports.

I finalized the hardware for the battery sled and will have those parts printed. The battery tray will be mounted to the hill with silicone.

I'm going to cut the shaft by about 6-8mm. I may extend the flat afterwards.

I trimmed the motor shafts, and made the stuffing tube connector/spacer. The motor angle is perfect and it's time to glue it in. Should I use epoxy thickened with carbon dust, or should I use JB Weld?

We use Sikaflex

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast