Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in a graphene battery test?

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    What do you guys think about this? Well for those that are tech savvy!

Well I may be wrong but I thought graphene was transparent, and super thin and they use it as some sort of coating. I may be wrong but that could be why that guy didn't see it.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

You learn every day, didn't know that.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

So, not exactly "empirical data" at this point. I'll hopefully get to that, but I do have an iCharger 406 Duo and ran two sets of new Turnigy Graphene packs this weekend vs. several of the same sized Turnigy Heavy-Duty packs, all the same capacity and C-Rating, etc...

Both seemed to perform about the same on the water, which is pretty hard to judge without a set of timing lights, controlled temps, same props, etc... all things that DON'T happen during oval racing rounds.

However, watching them all carefully on the charger, particularly watching the IR, both on discharge cycles and charge cycles... I've yet to see much of a difference between the two. Both look decent, but the Graphenes certainly didn't look any better based on the IR.

At this point I'm wondering if the additional 35% in cost is simply for a fancy Velvet bag and lined black box...

More stringent testing will have to be conducted to convince me.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    So, not exactly "empirical data" at this point. I'll hopefully get to that, but I do have an iCharger 406 Duo and ran two sets of new Turnigy Graphene packs this weekend vs. several of the same sized Turnigy Heavy-Duty packs, all the same capacity and C-Rating, etc...

Both seemed to perform about the same on the water, which is pretty hard to judge without a set of timing lights, controlled temps, same props, etc... all things that DON'T happen during oval racing rounds.

However, watching them all carefully on the charger, particularly watching the IR, both on discharge cycles and charge cycles... I've yet to see much of a difference between the two. Both look decent, but the Graphenes certainly didn't look any better based on the IR.

At this point I'm wondering if the additional 35% in cost is simply for a fancy Velvet bag and lined black box...

More stringent testing will have to be conducted to convince me.

Should be getting some batteries in this week (hopefully). I'll have some good data this weekend. I'll know the difference right away because my shocker and my zelos make any batts I have squishy. I ran the shocker hard to about 3.8v per cell and the batts got a little puffed. I've had this happen before and thought it was bad/weak/older batts but the cells that did it this weekend weren't old at all (maybe 3 months) and it still slightly puffed them. They go back down once cooled off and still work fine but I don't like the slight puffing personally. Probably too hot of a setup to be sport running it (1650kv on 8s) but still. If the graphenes don't puff, that will be a big plus for me.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I thought everyone always said "slight puffiness" was just trapped hot air (a normal thing) ? :P

Isn't it though? Considering Revo's are 70c packs and all... and people typically run them on even harder SAW setups.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Isn't it though? Considering Revo's are 70c packs and all...
    Anything over 50C is really just marketing... The technology is really only capable of delivering an actual 50C... and most packs don't actually measure more than about 35C...

IF you can get a set that measure an actual 35C... you'd have something there.

The graphene is supposed to be one micron thick. Is that guy going to see one micron? The G10 is sweet because it protects the cells a bit from mechanical damage. Who cares about the weight? I drew the 4.0's down to 1% at around 160 amps and then recharged at 20 amps while they were still hot. No puffing yet. I'm sure it's coming but hasn't showed up yet.

There are others producing graphene cells but the larger sizes we use are still in prototype. I tested some Saturday but the boat I was running them in was giving me fits so no real impression of their muster. Frustrating as all get out. Trying to get back out with them on Wednesday. I do have a 10s setup that's supposed to make it to me before the CanAm but the class is on the bubble so who knows.
    Noisy person

Darin, how do people run high amp SAW setups on just 6s or 8s pulling well over 300-400 amps with these things then?

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Darin, how do people run high amp SAW setups on just 6s or 8s pulling well over 300-400 amps with these things then?
    I ran over 81mph on a 1-cell Turnigy HD 5000 mAh 60C cell, pulling 385 Amps, on a single 5000 mAh cell... But I can promise you that the voltage on this "60C" cell was certainly not maintaining 3.7V... It wasn't maintaining 3.7V at the rated 300A... More like 3.0 or so, if that high (based on measured KV and RPMs... Voltage recording on my ESC doesn't operate do to the mods required to make the ESC 1-Cell capable.).

THAT is the measure that counts. When you find me a 60C cell that can stay at 3.7V/cell at 300Amps. Please let me know what it is. I'll be well into the 90's on my 1-Cell Hydro.

Others, running 2S+ setups... well... a pair of 60C packs in parallel look a lot like an actual 60C pack...

Well in that case it's probably worth always just running smaller packs in parralell instead of typical bigger packs in series :) more costly but sure beats having to wear everything out

Paralleling *is* legal for NAMBA SAW for classes restricted by cell count , right?

I ran over 81mph on a 1-cell Turnigy HD 5000 mAh 60C cell, pulling 385 Amps, on a single 5000 mAh cell... But I can promise you that the voltage on this "60C" cell was certainly not maintaining 3.7V... It wasn't maintaining 3.7V at the rated 300A... More like 3.0 or so, if that high (based on measured KV and RPMs... Voltage recording on my ESC doesn't operate do to the mods required to make the ESC 1-Cell capable.).

THAT is the measure that counts. When you find me a 60C cell that can stay at 3.7V/cell at 300Amps. Please let me know what it is. I'll be well into the 90's on my 1-Cell Hydro.

Others, running 2S+ setups... well... a pair of 60C packs in parallel look a lot like an actual 60C pack...

Are you running one single cell or two cells in parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Are you running one single cell or two cells in parallel?
    One single 5000 mAh cell is what I was running.

Pretty much as pure a C test as one could put a battery "pack" under.

I'm confused. Lol! When do we get to the part that says Battery A is better than Battery B? Haha! J/K
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Got my shipping notifications this morning. They are already on the way to me. I should be betting a few in on Monday. If everything pans out well I'll be having some hv batts for sale for cheap cheap.

Yeah, isn't it time for someone to just profess one brand to be the bestest of them all with no data what so ever?

I had an argument like that on Facebook with a guy I later learned was only 20 years old. Apparently Venom were the best batteries ever produced by man. O'kee doky!
    Noisy person

Got my shipping notifications this morning. They are already on the way to me. I should be betting a few in on Monday. If everything pans out well I'll be having some hv batts for sale for cheap cheap.
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Yeah, isn't it time for someone to just profess one brand to be the bestest of them all with no data what so ever?

I had an argument like that on Facebook with a guy I later learned was only 20 years old. Apparently Venom were the best batteries ever produced by man. O'kee doky!
    Was kidding man.

Was kidding man.
    me too
    Noisy person

I'll settle this right now... THESE are the VERY BEST!! PERIOD!!

20160714_205020.jpg

This is my 1st year that I haven't bought any new LiPos....interested in the results for maybe some upgrades next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    This is my 1st year that I haven't bought any new LiPos....interested in the results for maybe some upgrades next season.

I might even abuse a set of them purposely to see what they can take. I'll even leave them fully charged in storage on purpose.

20160714_205020.jpg
    Told you TS Davis! Problem solved!

I always hear about "storage mode". Haven't put a cell in storage mode as long as I've owned boats.
    Noisy person

Told you TS Davis! Problem solved!
    That works out. I have a ton of those.
    Noisy person

Last edited by Darin Jordan; 07-19-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Link didn't work for me

Link didn't work for me
    Try it now...

It works now. The only thing I can say is the reports have been good....and for people to say turnigy batteries are lasting a bunch of cycles and still performing well....well that must mean SOMETHING. The one and only turnigy battery I tested (had series) dropped significantly in power in the first half dozen cycles. Let's see if I can can that independent bench test on them....

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I always hear about "storage mode". Haven't put a cell in storage mode as long as I've owned boats.
    When do you need storage mode actually? I run my boats at least 3 times a week. After each run I fully charge them until another day or two before I run them again, is that bad?

20160714_205020.jpg
    Nice try but I prefer the 7cell.. Lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast