Thread: ML Boatworks- International Hobbies Seebold Tunnel kit build thread 38" and 50" ver.

Default ML Boatworks- International Hobbies Seebold Tunnel kit build thread 38" and 50" ver.

I have not posted over here yet on this, but I am getting further along with this project. I am working on kits, and cowlings plugs/ molds to make the early open cockpit Seebold Bud Light O/B Tunnels in 38" and 50" versions. I have the wood kits designed, and I am building on them now. I have the 50" cowling mold done, and pulled the first cowling last night, and I am working on the plug for the 38" version.

The 38" version is set up to run with a KB 7.5 lower, FE power as the center section is designed around FE.

The 50" version is setup up to run a lower like the ArrowShark gas size lower, or the MHZ gas size lower, which I am using. I designed the center section for FE tho, so we can run a big 10s setup in it! I also developed a new large, Evinrude/Johnson F1 cowling to fit these larger lower units.

Both these kits are designed around the International Hobbies/ Amps Seebold 38" tunnel. I collect the Amps stuff, so I had plenty to go by as far as getting this pretty correct! Here are some pics.

First thing is first...here is what the real boat looks like:

And here is the original 38" International Hobbies/ Amps Bud Light Seebold in which I started my designing.

Last edited by cybercrxt; 06-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

The first thing I did, was design the tunnel kit, then I worked on a skeleton for the 50" cowling, and it started life like this:

Lots of sanding, and filling, and priming, until it got to this:

Here you can see the size difference in the original 38" IH tunnel, vs. the 50" one I am doing:

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Then I made the mold, polished it, and made the first part:

Work on the 38" cowling plug has been going on too. Here it is. It is now close to making a mold as well:

Mike, do you only brush on that duratech and then sand or do you eventually end up spraying a few layers when you get close? I'm fascinated by that stuff?
    Noisy person

Now, the large size outboard cowling plug and mold. I made basically a larger version of the Amps F1 cowling, as you will see in the pics below. I have molds for the Amps F1 cowling as well, so that basis is covered already for the 38" tunnel. here is the making of the large cowl:

And the results! I made the Evinrude and Johnson F1 decal sets as well:

Amps outboard vs. the MHZ outboard!

Now, the hull kits themselves. Here are some pics of the 38" version first. I have it framed, and will start making sheeting parts next for the ride pad and non trip.

CAD work:

And the 50" version, I have only made the sponsons, and sheeted them. I will start on the center section this week most likely. Here are some pics of the sponsons, with the new cowling.

And that is all for now. I just wanted to share these with you guys. It is a fun project, and designed to just be a fun sport tunnel, not a race boat. Should look really cool once done!

Terry, I start out brushing it to fill gaps in between the framing and foam. Once I have the foam protected, I then add surface filler, and at that point, I start spraying it on, as it levels better doing that. But yeah, a little of both!

Always impressed Mike! Beautiful!
    Nortavlag Bulc

So no glass on the foam then? I'm totally going to use this stuff on my next canopy plug.
    Noisy person

In a word: Outstanding
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Thanks Guys,

Terry, no glass on the foam, just multiple layers of Styroshield, and filler. The Rigger cowling plug was simple as it only had one seam up the middle, so I had that plug finished in like two evenings!

Here is a side by side of the 38" and 50" versions to help clarify the situation going on in these parts! haha

-

Oh yeah, This will work! 50" Tunnel and Outboard!

-

I finally finished the cowling molds for both the 38" and 50" versions, so here are some pics of both size hulls! These will be available from Amps-International Hobbies/ ML Boatworks soon! Mike

this is beautiful work Mike, well done mate, I'm continually amazed by your work .

What cad program do you use mate? Just curious.

Just wondering if the 50” kit is available to purchase and if this hull was ever ran?

Yeah, both kits are available, I just never posted much about them. Send me an email requesting info, jamesmluszcz@hotmail.com

Outstanding! I have been searching for what seems like decades for this boat. The only thing left of my 1990's version is the canopy. I look forward to hearing from you.