Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tfl outdrive on CF mono

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    yes, please answer.
    i'm about to acquire one maybe two for spare parts.
    Thank you and stay wet.
    So far so good. Can’t say I’ve run it extensively but still runs great.
    I think secret is DO NOT UPGRADE DRIVETRAIN. I have stock prop and motor still.

Thanks for the questions, and yes I’m still wet too... great username!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I can provide pics with ruler... sorry I haven’t checked this thread for a while.
    Please do. Im still interested.

So far so good. Can’t say I’ve run it extensively but still runs great.
    I think secret is DO NOT UPGRADE DRIVETRAIN. I have stock prop and motor still.

Thanks for the questions, and yes I’m still wet too... great username!
    i received mine a awhile ago, this is what happened,
    open the box remove the Drive and began to turn shaft by hand "Clicking noise is very apparent". so i start on a a push pull as i turn drive shaft it's a little play back and forth and it locks up, back off slightly opposite direction and turns free again but continues freely, than slightly push in and locks up again. i do not take it apart yet until i contacted OSE and was told to dissemble and check the gear teeth, the uppers are fine and the lower i could not check for the bottom gear, the grub screw was tighten to tight and crushed the threads on the Stern Bearing Bracket and could not remove to inspect. i'm waiting for the parts to be in stock. These drives are very nice and the fitment was very good, it looks terrific out back of the 800S, now i still have plenty to do to the boat but i do not know when the parts will be available, i may have to order them from TFL, their site calls this the Z Drive P1.
    Germany's site shows some parts i'll have to contact MFE, and TFL Genesis Racing shows nothing for this.
    was yours packed with Blue Grease ? looked like Grim Racer grease in mine.
    it was suggested not to run more than 3S for these, for my application i do not think i want this particular boat to have much more power than that anyways.
    take care.

Pics coming..
    Sounds like a poorly assembled unit, bummer.
    Mine did have grease and I learned to go very easy with the blue loctite...
    Who recommends no more than 3s? Any boat would be unfun to drive with this motor/outdrive unit on only 3s.
    It’s 4s or bust for me. Wasn’t the p1 hull advertised as a 4s boat?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

before i purchased the P1 Steve recommended not to use more than 3S, but that might have been because of my application it's a cruiser.
    Yes you are correct the Patron Saint 14.8V, i'll start with 11.1V.
    another P1 is on its way, now i'll have spare parts from the other, i planned on doing it later than NOW but it is one of my hobbies so no bummer just $ i wanted to spend on a MFU for my Tamiya Grand Hauler.
    thanx for the response Jess.
    some time ago before i knew they sold the P1 separately i wanted to purchase the Patron Saint just to have that drive system.
    be quick with your Pics (:

Default Transom pics

Sorry for delay... lemme know if you need any other pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Nice!
    i've been over at the Tamiya Club as ACCEL, what a blast, it's a very dangerous place for RC's, i have since built as of last july about 12 different rides, and about eight left to go and counting. it's alot more older dudes with extreme skills, for the most part it's mostly Tamiya but there are other brands and builds going on there as well, i tend to stretch different and sometimes way involved like Ella Brood, The Fat Fox Gulf and the AMG Iron Panther, and there's absoultely no light at the end of the tunnel.
    https://i.imgur.com/YZ4y1dW.jpg These are the eyes of The AMG IRON PANTHER
    Last edited by Stillwet; 05-11-2020 at 08:59 PM.

DYMotorshop carbon fiber 29.5" mono, 4S and plenty happy.
    After watching your videos, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered one of these for my 24" Mono (semi scale). I will also run it on 4S, so I hope it can withstand the abuse... But speed looks just about what I am looking for in my boat! Like you, I will keep the stock prop and motor, though. I will use trim tabs, but no turn fins either (to keep a more scale look).

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwet View Post
    before i purchased the P1 Steve recommended not to use more than 3S, but that might have been because of my application it's a cruiser.
    Yes you are correct the Patron Saint 14.8V, i'll start with 11.1V.
    Steve mentioned the same thing to me, but it just seems to me 3S will be no fun to drive. Besides, it's not like I go every weekend to race boats, so I hope it will last enough! I do plan to take good care of it, though, with regular maintenance after each run.

If a hull has too much lift, prop too low or more power than it was designed for, it can have a tendency to chine walk, turn poorly or other bad handling monkey business. In this case the strakes went to the transom and so now they don't.
    Wish I knew this before I added strakes to my boat! At least the fiberglass is not going OVER the strakes in mine, so should I need to sand them down, it should be easier than if I had used fiberglass over them (I did seal them with resin and used CA to glue them, which may make me eat my own words!)

Take apart, grease, reassemble. Not too bad, but don't get one if you don't want to get intimate with your boat. It takes 5-10 minutes to complete the task. I'm enjoy it, others may not.

One note: don't go hog wild with locktite, less is less frustrating. I already had to implement plan b when removing one of the screws.
    There is an in depth review by one guy who put this in a spartan and ran it for 45 minutes. I think it's Rc groups or something. Worth the read.
    Thanks for the tip. I looked for the review in RC groups (been a member there for years because model airplanes), but did not find them. If you happen to find that link, please post it here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12