Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tfl outdrive on CF mono

Default tfl outdrive on CF mono

DYMotorshop carbon fiber 29.5" mono, 4S and plenty happy.
    here is the short version: 3 min - regular speed then slo mo
    here is long version: 8 min - same reg speed, much more slo mo with crazy wipe outs.
    you are instructed to play your favorite glamour rock song - I would have used "its a kind of magic" by Queen, but they always mute my vids, so this is some assembly required.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jesse J; 06-28-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Hull name fix
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Jesse,

That's some "Drive it like you stole it" bashing right there. What are your thoughts on the hull construction? I'm really suprised at the speed and abuse that outdrive can take, how long have you been running it? Certainly seems to handle the choppy stuff pretty well, would you add trim tabs or anything else?

Ken
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Hull is quite solid and very clean. I still added a layer of thick glass for super strength. I did remove 8" of inner and 3.5" of outer lift strakes. I totally guestimated on the outdrive height and cog.

This was the first time out and I was extremely astounded at speed and handling. I didn't have to adjust anything.
    Drive seems solid and I think trick is to stay with stock motor and prop.

No junk on the back, I wanted to try it clean and she likes it that way. You can see the turnability.
    Jim Vaughn, the wild and crazy driver even said we should make it a stock class! He also said "thrust vector" 32 times... That is why it doesn't need trim tabs.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

DIY means you made the hull correct? Very nice. Can we see your guesstimate on the business end?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Why remove sections of lift strakes?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    DIY means you made the hull correct? Very nice. Can we see your guesstimate on the business end?
    Sorry bout that, had name wrong.. It's this hull:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/750mm-29-5-C...-/282054825880
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    Why remove sections of lift strakes?
    If a hull has too much lift, prop too low or more power than it was designed for, it can have a tendency to chine walk, turn poorly or other bad handling monkey business. In this case the strakes went to the transom and so now they don't.
    http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/daUAAO...UOt/s-l400.jpg
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks Jesse
    Nortavlag Bulc

Here are strakes as I modified them.
    I'll get some business end shots soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So did you remove the strakes completely down to the flat hull? Interresting stuff, thanks for sharing.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Oh, wow; thanks for posting this, Jesse! Coincidentally, I bought that EXACT same DYMotor CF hull from Ebay, and also bought the TFL outdrive to go with it! I had also planned to experiment with 4S, but was a little worried about whether the outdrive could hold up to the rpm long-term. This was going to be my next boat project. I'd even planned to use that same through-hull dual water pickup!

I will be watching this thread with great interest, as I have a ton of questions you'll likely end up answering here.

Would you mind posting a pic of the end of the transom with a ruler showing mounting height...say, the distance from the top of the transom to the top edge of the square mount plate on the outdrive? Is prop shaft centerline on the same plane as the bottom of the keel?

What oil or grease are you using to lube the outdrive?

What did you use for the windshield decal?

I have some beautiful CNC trim tabs I'd planned to use as well, to add more scale bling to the transom complementing the outdrive. Not sure whether I should use 'em now.

Thanks in advance for all advice!

So did you remove the strakes completely down to the flat hull? Interresting stuff, thanks for sharing.
    Down flat. Then sanded. Not quite 100% done yet... Might be good enough after seeing how she handled.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Nice looking mono! The slo-mo over the waves looks like a real boat. And knowing you, the windshield is just electric or trim tape?? Last time there he added a "windshield" to mine and another boater's boats!

Ted, I should have expected your profile to say "super ocd" after your string of questions.
    Glad to help.
    I will post pic with dimensions for you.
    I used the Ose green blue Greece for shafts.
    Window decal is 1/8" yellow trim tape.
    I'm not adding trim tabs or fins.
    I can share some interior shots of battery placement if you.
    Where in tx are you?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Nice looking mono! The slo-mo over the waves looks like a real boat. And knowing you, the windshield is just electric or trim tape?? Last time there he added a "windshield" to mine and another boater's boats!
    You know me well, Oscar! Thanks, hope to see you out soon!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Ted, I should have expected your profile to say "super ocd" after your string of questions.
    Glad to help.
    I will post pic with dimensions for you.
    I used the Ose green blue Greece for shafts.
    Window decal is 1/8" yellow trim tape.
    I'm not adding trim tabs or fins.
    I can share some interior shots of battery placement if you.
    Where in tx are you?
    Haha! I'm an engineer, so OCD is pretty much an occupational requirement!

Any/all pics you wish to share is very much appreciated, but no hurry. It may be a year before I'm able to attack this project with all I have going on right now. Thanks again for your input!

I live in Brenham (off 290 between Houston and Austin).

So awesome dude! I'm glad you posted the video. When you sent it to be the other day I was hoping you would, sweet little hull.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I tell ya... I've watched the 8 min video multiple times now. Awesome! The slo-mo and rain footage is especially cool! Something about the slo-mo really lends a full scale look to it. It also emphasizes what a tremendous pounding that outdrive is taking as it rapidly loads and unloads every time the hull gets airborne!

great video. can you tell me the maintenance of the P1 outdrive?

Take apart, grease, reassemble. Not too bad, but don't get one if you don't want to get intimate with your boat. It takes 5-10 minutes to complete the task. I'm enjoy it, others may not.

One note: don't go hog wild with locktite, less is less frustrating. I already had to implement plan b when removing one of the screws.
    There is an in depth review by one guy who put this in a spartan and ran it for 45 minutes. I think it's Rc groups or something. Worth the read.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I really like that boat!
    Do you have video of it running in smooth water too?

Since its a one-off I have a bunch of questions...

No smooth water vid yet.
    Go for it, ask away!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I really like the scale drive, huge cool factor, but these things dont scale 1-to-1, they also perform much more wildly/roughly spending more time airborne than a full-size.
    Would it be safe to say it would hold turns notably better with a standard/longer rudder, and maybe fins too? Seems to be an obvious yes, but have not seen it run in the smooth.
    I ask because nearly all of the slowmo wipe-outs start with the skeg in the air a little too high and long.

Are you using the TFL 29mm motor that comes with the drive?
    What speed range is yours in?

I'm giving this hull a hard look (among others) for very rough water use.

It would be safe to say. I was after the clean look and wanted to keep it challenging to drive.
    What are you looking for in a smooth water video? It has passed my rough water challenge. How rough of water are you looking at?

The wipeouts were done by the madman driving; I was filming...

Using fully stock drive. Haven't even sharpened the prop yet!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Agreed, a clean transom does look better, particularly with that drive.

Its rather high-sided with a deeper V than most, wondering how it behaves in sharp'ish fast turns on smooth water.. ie, does it wallow/roll around in turns or have other handling oddities that may not show up in a rough water video?
    I ask about all of this because I really like everything about the hull - Looks, deep, CF, price, etc.. but yours is the only one I've found a video of, but its in big chop with a non-typical drive.

Also wondering how it might behave with the scale drive lowered a bit (semi-submerged) with a 36mm motor ~2000-2200kv?
    (for better rough water tracking and hook-up)

I'd run it alongside a full-size boat in large waves (hence desire for deep-v, deeper rudder/skeg/prop)
    Would also run it in smooth water ponds, and most importantly around the dock in tighter confines, so turning well is important too.
    Probably need two boats...

I do wish they made this one 36" tho.

Jesse, do you have any pics of transom setup? I am curious what height you mounted the drive.

Jesse, how has the drive held up the past few months?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Jesse, how has the drive held up the past few months?
    yes, please answer.
    i'm about to acquire one maybe two for spare parts.
    Thank you and stay wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashunde View Post
    Agreed, a clean transom does look better, particularly with that drive.

Its rather high-sided with a deeper V than most, wondering how it behaves in sharp'ish fast turns on smooth water.. ie, does it wallow/roll around in turns or have other handling oddities that may not show up in a rough water video?
    I ask about all of this because I really like everything about the hull - Looks, deep, CF, price, etc.. but yours is the only one I've found a video of, but its in big chop with a non-typical drive.

Also wondering how it might behave with the scale drive lowered a bit (semi-submerged) with a 36mm motor ~2000-2200kv?
    (for better rough water tracking and hook-up)

I'd run it alongside a full-size boat in large waves (hence desire for deep-v, deeper rudder/skeg/prop)
    Would also run it in smooth water ponds, and most importantly around the dock in tighter confines, so turning well is important too.
    Probably need two boats...

I do wish they made this one 36" tho.
    So, sharpish turns make it spin out, and I’d guess that lower drive may exacerbate this phenomenon.
    But, I could be wrong.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Jesse, do you have any pics of transom setup? I am curious what height you mounted the drive.
    I can provide pics with ruler... sorry I haven’t checked this thread for a while.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast