Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stolen Trailer

Would be great for people that ship there gear to races also. Some companies actually use an Iphone and ship it with an expensive item. (find my Iphone)

The GPS unit is small enough but it would be cooler yet if they could ping those RFID units. Those could be put in every boat. Useless if they don't ever get scanned.
    Noisy person

This topic on micro GPS devices could be very productive ....lets keep this going.
    We can all keep looking and maybe even get bulk pricing on the perfect unit.
    No sense getting them unless it can send a good strong signals immediately
    after a theft like mine.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

Geesh Ken. You sure know how to pick a place to stay! There was a fatal shooting at your hotel just the other day...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...otel/86950836/

Goes without saying, but I would stay the hell away from that side of town.

Yep. They gave that hotel a facelift however the area isn't great. I won't stay there anymore because of some shenanigans 3 years ago. I drive a little further south to the other red roof, always a quiet sleep and yer stuff is right outside your door.

Sorry, I have no good news finding anything yet Ken.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Jeez. Detroit is such a sh*t hole. Those corrupt mayors of theirs surely turned it into a 3rd world country probably worse than Mexico and Africa...
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-12-2016 at 02:43 PM.

Downtown is coming back but that's a small area. Outside of that is what I call the donut of despair. Not even light can escape. If you look out the windows of the renasance center building there is a band around the city with no lights. You don't want to be there.

The Suites where Ken was is over by the airport. Romulus isn't even part if Detroit. The location where the tailer was found is called Mexican Town. That IS part of Detroit.
    Noisy person

Donut of despair, sad. Are their Romulans in Romulus? Better than Klingon's.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Yes Ray. Sometimes I call them Romulites. I have a number of buildings we maintain down there. I had no idea there was a criminal elliment. I guess every city has that.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yep. They gave that hotel a facelift however the area isn't great. I won't stay there anymore because of some shenanigans 3 years ago. I drive a little further south to the other red roof, always a quiet sleep and yer stuff is right outside your door.

Sorry, I have no good news finding anything yet Ken.
    Thx for your diligence Ray,
    and thx to everyone else for you time and support.

Not sure if anyone knows how much time Terry, Todd Fleury and the MMEU Club
    has spent trying to help me. I really appreciate them.
    Thx :)

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Jeez. Detroit is such a sh*t hole. Those corrupt mayors of theirs surely turned it into a 3rd world country probably worse than Mexico and Africa...
    A bit insulting to people who live here... coming from someone whose probably never been here.
    I realize there is probably no crime in CA, but let's get down off that high horse.
    Have fun with that....

A bit insulting to people who live here... coming from someone whose probably never been here.
    I realize there is probably no crime in CA, but let's get down off that high horse.
    I have to live there to know what it's like over there?

I have numerous friends who have simply driven through it... basically a Pro tip of common consensus was to never to stop on red lights or stop signs (at night?). You have to be strapped with an AK47 at all times because there's no police there either.
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-12-2016 at 11:38 PM.

I'm not going to get into pissing match over it but Dave's right. You don't really know what you're talking about. I do a ton of work down there and I dont own an AK47. It's like every major city. It's easy to get yourself into sketchy areas if your ignorant. There are major investors dropping billions (with B) into down town. It is coming back. Taking forever though.

Ken's misfortune had nothing to do with Detroit's blight. The airport/Romulus is many miles away.
    Noisy person

By the way. For those concerned. The actual Michigan Cup race is 30 miles from Detroit. It's out in the woods. Ridiculously so. Think off of a two track. Romulus is about 13 miles out of Detroit. More like a suburb.

Detroit is around 139 square miles with a population below a million. People that live in what I call "down town" are all yuppies. Companies like Amazon, Compuware, Quicken Loans all have a presence and employ the yupsters. I've helped refurbish buildings where a developer bought an entire city block and turned all the old high rise building into loft apartments. Exposed 100 year old brick construction. Cool stuff. It's all kind of exciting. Useless trivia. There's a brand new massive Redwing arena under construction. New mass transit underway. Getting all this to trickle out? Might never happen. I think Chicago has the same kind of trouble. Downtown is cool. Just stay away from the edges.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    By the way. For those concerned. The actual Michigan Cup race is 30 miles from Detroit. It's out in the woods. Ridiculously so. .
    It is out in the middle of friggin no-where, and just an FYI, a lot of the racers leave their boats /equipment under their canopies at night with no issues other than some dew to contend with in the morning.

Its very remote and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    It is out in the middle of friggin no-where, and just an FYI, a lot of the racers leave their boats /equipment under their canopies at night with no issues other than some dew to contend with in the morning.

Its very remote and safe.
    I second the idea that it wasnt as bad as i hear about in the news or other media.. We never felt at all at risk at either the hotel or the race. A a matter of fact, most of the places we drove though were nicer than Boston.

And we also left all of our stuff out at the race site. That site is awesome.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

No need to pick on Detroit. I have worked there for 12 years and practically lived there for the last 6 years. The whole Detroit area gets a bad rap when its really only a few bad pockets that earn the reputation. Enough with the bashing and let's keep an eye out for the stolen boats.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I'm sure there are nice areas with 20 foot walls around the gated community where all the GM execs sleep at night... Just like everywhere else. I was obviously talking about bad areas not the upper-class ones.

Anyways, change of subject: Shouldn't the hotel parking lot have had security cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post

And we also left all of our stuff out at the race site. That site is awesome.
    It also helps that the site is pretty much a private lake surrounded by homes probably close to the million mark.

Shouldn't the hotel parking lot have had security cameras?
    I totally agree. For what ever reason that appears to have not been the case. You would think an Embassy Suites would have such a thing. It's not like they stopped at a Super 8 or something. They get like 200 a night at the Suites there.

Ken's beat himself up pretty well with the "if only" scenario. If if if x,y,z. Hind sight is so crystal.

I used to wonder what the house on the hill across from the Elks lodge was worth. Until I noticed the one across the hedges from them to the north. Holy crap. Huge house with a big ole' ceeement pond. Who has an in ground pull between their house and a private lake? WTH.

We did batten down the hatches on Saturday night as we had some stray people we couldn't account for that made us nervous. It was nothing. Paranoia. We were all a little tweaked after Ken's ordeal. You'd have to be crazy to mess with anyone's gear with a dozen of us sleeping 50 some feet from the pits.
    Noisy person

Cool

Not if me and my crew each had an AK.........

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Yea and I've heard the "Bronx" is really bad too, you shouldn't walk alone there ever!!!! Yeah right I've been working here since I'm 10 years old and never had a problem, and that was in the 70's when the Bronx "was" actually bad. Don't sterotype, everyone thought Steve Vacarro was just another Boston idiot, but after meeting him and hanging out with him he's actually a nice guy!!!!
    We call ourselves the "Q"

None of us talked baseball. We probably would have had to hose the two of you down.

I get lots of questions outside of the forum. "Any progress?"

For those concerned, I've been talking to Ken most days. By phone or text. He was concerned about wearing me out but no worries there (remember....super freak). He's holding up better than you would think though. Like having an itch you can't quite get to I think. Frustrating too when the Romulus PD seems to not have any new information but they haven't dropped his case or anything. They've just been up to their elbows in crime of late. Maybe it's the humidity. Makes people stupid.......er.

So keep look'n. Nobody has given up on finding this equipment. This we must make happen as a model boaters.
    Noisy person

Has Ken or anyone else submitted the info about the boats over to the Pawnshop alert sites? (I posted these links earlier).

If not, I guess I'll go ahead and do it.

Nothing on Craigslist L.A. as of yesterday. Will continue to scan......
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks to everyone here again for your diligence and support.
    Overlapping efforts like posting again with the pawn shops or
    many checking Craigslist at the same time really should not be
    a problem. I do think most everything has been covered,
    but yet again better too much than miss something thinking it is
    covered by someone. Automated searches would be great, but I
    do not have that skill, others here may already be working on that.
    Probably best not to discuss traps setup on this forum either.
    Pm's would be best for that.

While we are talking here......a few weeks ago someone was boasting
    on Facebook about having faster boats than someone else, a picture I
    had posted of my boats was shown. When someone saw it they immediately
    said..."hey that looks like those stolen boats". Well that quickly ended the
    posting and messages were quickly deleted.
    I mention this because at some point in time pics or information about the
    stolen boats may appear. I am sure most of you would be cool enough and smart
    enough not to make an accusation that would scare the person away. Please
    contact me or Terry Davis immediately. Baiting the person will be our strategy
    in coordination with the police. Keep in mind I am asking all of you to please pause
    before you reply to anything involved with this case. Seconds of not thinking like
    this last incident could permanently cost the recovery of all the boats and equipment.
    I realize most of you do not need this message, but thinking a lot tonight I thought it should
    be mentioned here just this one time.....without much further discussion.
    Thx Again,
    Ken :)
    post regarding this

Ken, did you or anyone else get the chance to the name of the poster? You'd be surprised what I can find with just a name combined with approximate location or facebook profile.
    Btw -- did you keep any phones or ipads in your trailer that might of been taken?

Hang in there, they WILL show up somewhere. It's just a matter of time. I had a new Ipad mini stolen from my car once... and I recovered it more than a year later.

Ken, sorry to hear about the incident. Was just lurking and saw your posts. I don't come here much anymore.

Life has lead me away from the boating scene but I still have some equipment you may be interested in. If you would like to know what's available let me know.

Again very sorry for the situation,

Alan

One word, IGNORANCE! Just skimming through this thread to catch up & see if any good news was to be heard. Then read this BS……..wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi8iS View Post
    One word, IGNORANCE! Just skimming through this thread to catch up & see if any good news was to be heard. Then read this BS……..wow.
    No kidding. Everyone knows the new Detroit is Chicago. Sheesh.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast