Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 NAMBA FE Nationals

Default 2016 NAMBA FE Nationals

It's no secret that Puget Sound Fast Electric Model Boat Racing Club is hosting the 2016 NAMBA FE Nationals this year. I am a proud member of said club, and I can assure you, we are pulling out all the stops for this event. I heard a rumor, and this is strictly a rumor, that this might be the last dedicated FE National event. I point no fingers nor lay any blame. It is what it is. I do want to appeal to any racers that might be on the fence about attending. If you have any questions or special needs, please contact us either on via the event website, or through social media, and we will do everything possible to accommodate.

http://namba2016fenats.com/

This is not a rumor.. Gas and fe will be combined next year in las vegas

Is it a 45 day event? Yikes.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    This is not a rumor.. Gas and fe will be combined next year in las vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Is it a 45 day event? Yikes.
    I've heard this too.

A National event is not REQUIRED to offer EVERY class listed in the NAMBA rules. My guess, and frankly, my recommendation, is that there will be selected classes offered, perhaps based on popularity or some other factor.

There are some obvious classes to include. There are also some fairly obvious ones that can be excluded.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Yep. Agreed.

I've been advocating NOT offering classes that there is no demand for since 2005. I've never seen a heat of ECO at any nats anywhere. I've even NOT offered classes at the 2 of the nats we hosted. That 05 nats ran almost everything. 522 entries. We had numbers for everything that year. In 09 and 14 we just didn't put them on the schedule. Saved a ton of time.

The idea being that if a class isn't offered, those racers will migrate to something more contested.

I don't mind mixed events anymore. We're all just model boaters. We've all grown up a bit. They don't hate us as bad. The friction has faded. Lots of guys run multiple fuels now anyway.

I would still be concerned about the time it would take to get both sources done though.
    Noisy person

Cool

We have had combined-power events in Texas for twelve years - FE, nitro and gas. Now that everyone uses the same course and clock/timer it is easy to put on. The only issue has been waiting on the tidal waves created by gas monos to die down before launching N-2 boats.

I enjoy meeting and visiting with the fuel guys, and have even learned a few things. I don't want a fuel boat - but I am not afraid of them either. Rather, I would encourage both NAMBA and IMPBA to run combined events as often as possible. Fear mongering does no one any good, we all play with toy boats.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    we all play with toy boats..
    Would you believe some guys get annoyed when I say this? "THEY'RE NOT TOYS!"

.............um...............yes................. they are.
    Noisy person

Would you believe some guys get annoyed when I say this? "THEY'RE NOT TOYS!"

.............um...............yes................. they are.
    HAha some get upset when you say they are just toy boats! Well those people are usually already upset about something. I have been amazed at some of that!
    Here in NZ the regattas are always combined. Gassers are the majority, nitro is barely surviving, and FE has begun to gain some respect and interest. Funny though how newcomers want to start with a 80 mph gas hydro!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

"Funny though how newcomers want to start with a 80 mph gas hydro!"

Ah, the speed, cool looking boats, noise, rooster tails, what is not to like...just one of the hardest boats to build, setup and control for a newbie

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Funny though how newcomers want to start with a 80 mph gas hydro!

Ah, the speed, cool looking boats, noise, rooster tails, what is not to like...just one of the hardest boats to build, setup and control for a newbie

Douggie
    Exactly! But suggesting a slower mono to start with doesn't do it for them. Neither does it bring lasting members when they smash their boat up and or someone elses. Sorry going off topic a little.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Rather, I would encourage both NAMBA and IMPBA to run combined events as often as possible.

I agree. As far as I know it has worked anywhere it has been tried. And why wouldn't it?

I've taken a little heat for calling them toy boats too Terry. But at the end of the day...............
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Well I guess if P limited OPC tunnel and P limited Rigger are your thang, the combo deal works out just fine. I just love the variety of FE. Would be hard to include EVERYONE in a 2 day event. If I wasn't busy working ON the nats this year I would be running for sure if its the LAST one. Rest assured, PSFEMBR will do everything we can to make sure tha last one is a great one! Come on out y'all!

Cool

Well I guess if P limited OPC tunnel and P limited Rigger are your thang, the combo deal works out just fine!
    This makes no sense. We have run P Mono, P Offshore, P Sport Hydro, Q Sport Hydro, T Mono, T Hydro, and plenty of others (up to six classes in a two day event) in mixed fuel events with great success. We've never run the Limited classes mentioned above.

Why would any sponsoring body limit an event to only two days if there were enough boats for five? Nitro Nats in the past would run six or more days and filled each day. The rules even dictate a six to eight day Nats event.

Last edited by Fluid; 06-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

If it wasn’t for the gas/nitro events in NAMBA D19 offering FE classes there wouldn't (with the exception of the SMB in Phoenix) be FE Sprints . The D19 Gas/Nitro races that typically include FE are season points chases that rotate between Legg Lake, Lake Havasu Az., Needles, Ca., Tucson Az., Las Vegas Nv., and Tempe, Az. With the expense of travel and the 5-boat minimum to make a class, competing for a District season points championship in FE is tough (ask Ray) . In the last few years the Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association began offering (basically) any FE class with at least three sign ups. Then these events paired up with the recently emerged Nitro group and now FE has more opportunities to both make a class AND get a seasonal high points finish (since these events are in L.A. exclusively).
    We’re even seeing more crossover from the IC ranks to populate the FE classes which is a good thing given the loss of five FE racers in the last year due to relocation/passing.
    It’s really “one big family” at Legg Lake and these combined events are just plain good times. Jay’s right ‘tho in that after three rounds of gas Thunderboat the course gets rather moutaineously rough for a 29” P-Ltd Cat.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Well if the FE members of NAMBA are upset that the currant leadership has decided there will be no more FE nats, with out discussing this with the rank and file. You could allways join IMPBA, you would be welcome. Just saying.

Who shares the rumors and why are there any ways?
    I try and avoid paste eaters.

Guys and gals.. Nothing is set in stone yet..there will be lots of discussion between now and after this years fe nats in Washington..but it will be a combined nationals for 2017..no one has said it will only be 2 days..and yes it will be in Las Vegas.. There are tons of things to discuss on classes..and who knows what rules will be new and or classes..for now we should be focusing on this years fe nationals in Washington..I will be there racing and making lots of observations.. Hope to see all of you there.. If you haven't signed up yet please do asap..

Curious. Is anyone surprised by this? Numbers are numbers. The last big FE nats was 2005 really. Since then I think the biggest race was maybe 39 racers or so. Something like that. Even calling it a nationals pissed some guys off. Any trying to win high points at a nationals pushed those same guys to the edge of sanity.

I do wonder how a mixed nats would be received. Will FE guys travel for it? What would the schedule look like? That kind of thing. Will it be a gas marathon and then do an FE marathon or a mix every day? If there are 2 FE classes a day for 8 days that might be a drag. Sure would make far an easy pace as a racer. If they did one fuel type then the other fuel type you wouldn't have to be there all 8 days. Cuts the cost of attending down a ton. I just don't have a point of reference in my head for it.

One thing is for certain. Clubs like MMEU that have never run a fuel race wont be hosting a mixed nats. We wouldn't even know where to start. So a NATS in D2 wont happen unless another club is formed. This being IMPBA country that has well established clubs makes that highly unlikely.
    Noisy person

This makes no sense. We have run P Mono, P Offshore, P Sport Hydro, Q Sport Hydro, T Mono, T Hydro, and plenty of others (up to six classes in a two day event) in mixed fuel events with great success. We've never run the Limited classes mentioned above.

Why would any sponsoring body limit an event to only two days if there were enough boats for five? Nitro Nats in the past would run six or more days and filled each day. The rules even dictate a six to eight day Nats event.

Jay, I think he's just referring to the local D8 events. Presently, they invited the FE guys to come out for two slots... P-LTD OPC Tunnel and P-LTD Hydro. Traditionally, Nitro/Gas race weekends are two-day events, though, this year, participation is so low that they've dropped them back down to just one.

This doesn't have anything to do with a combined NATs, just what they've done locally regarding being "combined" events. They also allow "Open" Hydros to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Well if the FE members of NAMBA are upset that the currant leadership has decided there will be no more FE nats, with out discussing this with the rank and file. You could allways join IMPBA, you would be welcome. Just saying.
    Couldn't resist, could you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Who shares the rumors and why are there any ways?
    Sounds to me like this is more than just a rumor... rayzerdesigns post isn't the first time I've heard mention of this.

Of course, when you attend events where the actual NAMBA leadership is attending as well, you tend to hear discussions.

Some of us talked about this possibility back in 2014. It comes down to the numbers as I mentioned. I don't know of any NAMBA members that are all up in arms about it.

Not sure why we would do the NAMBA vs IMPBA thing. IMPBA hasn't had an FE nats since I've been racing. Not sure if it was a no demand thing or if it was just that nobody wanted to do it. So guys should leave an organization to punish leadership in favor of an organization that's historically been less dedicated to their little niche? Silly. Anyways, both organizations have grown. It's a controversy that doesn't exist in 2016. There's little difference between the organizations when it comes right down to heats and racing. I know many racers that are members of both organizations too. It's the same people at both brands of events. The IMPBA President, VP and Records Chair have all been to our Cup races just to hang out with more race monkeys.

Folks can try to stir that pot but it's empty as far as I'm concerned.
    Noisy person

Folks can try to stir that pot but it's empty as far as I'm concerned.
    Thats all some people can do...

wow, guess I would hate going to the nationals with nitro and electric at the same event.....nothing worse than ear shattering nitro boats and that toxic smelling fuel. Gas is another thing completely different.

Not trying to mess with the pot, I just would not enjoy it. A time trial is okay with just one running.

It may be a good thing, A blessing in disguise. In my district we did not have big turnouts for Nitro, the six or seven gas classes did not have enough to run alone. FE was too small to make it in it own. With the classes mixed classes ( that is gas running with gas only) we started with about 60 to 75 boats running the different classes. at first and about 25 drivers, Gas made up 48% nitro 25% and FE 27%. Then in time we started to get more drivers we had 50 drivers and 130 boats with it being 33% each.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Evolution. I'm with ya Randy. We all need to get over ourselves (and I think most have). Each fuel source has it's merit. We all have a common bond. Fools with toy boats.
    Noisy person

Trust me when I say it's not a rumor.. I will be helping Russ put schedule together.. It won't be s mix each day.. Fe more than likely will be first couple of days.. Agsin trying to get numbers up.. Maybe those that race gas and it nitro that have fe boats will bring them out to race.. Again.. This is not s rumor.. See ya guys in Washington.. If you have questions or maybe suggestions feel free to pm me.. Or even post here.. This will be a first.. And we want to make it right..

Don't forget.. It's Vegas!!!

Vegas each year? You won't see me complaining!

I have been attending mixed races for 10 years. Where have you guys been? It's always a good thing to blend the 3 energy sources. More guys. More Competition. MORE FUN.

Default Oh, okay

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    Trust me when I say it's not a rumor.. I will be helping Russ put schedule together.. It won't be s mix each day.. Fe more than likely will be first couple of days.. Agsin trying to get numbers up.. Maybe those that race gas and it nitro that have fe boats will bring them out to race.. Again.. This is not s rumor.. See ya guys in Washington.. If you have questions or maybe suggestions feel free to pm me.. Or even post here.. This will be a first.. And we want to make it right..
    Having electric on it's own days makes a big difference, or would to me. Good idea.

The more I think on it the more I think it must be separate days. Has to be for it to work.

Drive'n think'n. Hour commute. Sorry. Isn't the gas Nat's 8 days? Let's say we get a low FE turnout and only get 3 days worth of boats. 8 + 3=8?
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast