Thread: Darin's Method for Making Paralelling Adapters

Default Darin's Method for Making Paralelling Adapters

Thought I'd share my method of making Paralleling Adapters. These are made with 5.5mm contacts from, where else? OffshoreElectrics.com.

I use Copper Tubing to provide a solid joining of the three contacts.

I drill an appropriate sized hole all the way through the middle contact, and just through one side of each of the outside, then press them together.

Parallel_001.jpg

Parallel_002.jpg

Then I solder them together, filling in the wire barrels as well, and cover with heat-shrink. Pretty basic. Seem to work very well.

Parallel_003.jpg

Parallel_004.jpg

Parallel_005.jpg
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

A very simple and most helpful post!
    I would never have thought of the copper tube to aid in soldering and making a stronger assembly.

Thanks!

I made some similar for 8mm connectors but I used solid copper grounding wire in a huge diameter. Nearly filled the 8mm sockets.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I made some similar for 8mm connectors but I used solid copper grounding wire in a huge diameter. Nearly filled the 8mm sockets.
    Yes. I really wasn't thinking of the copper as "the" conductor... just "a" conductor that helps hold things together. The solder, and touching contacts, are what I was after. Just after making a few of these with JUST the contacts, I got tired of fighting the soldering! One could easily do the same thing with just wire between them.

Been using these for a couple of seasons now and they seem to work really well. Bench testing shows them to have all the conductivity that I'm after.

I always wondered about that. I use Stabrite so as much silver as I can get but still am relying heavily on solder to conduct. I don't think of solder as the best conductor.

I've used actual strand wire too. Sure makes it easier to plug in some of these monstrosities I have going with a little flex.
    Noisy person

While I understand why these adapters are popular and the standard set-up for 2P configurations, I have adopted splicing 2P wires onto the controller (pigtail). Much easier to solder and you eliminate and extra connectors sets. I don't have a picture, but it's work great even on my P-Limited boats that use OEM Aquacraft controllers.

don't need 2P but need the controller, I simply secure and cap off the extra connections with rubber protector boots.

Just another way to skin the cat.

Do you sell the if so how much

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What size heat shrink tubing? From where?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    What size heat shrink tubing? From where?

It's standard 3/8" heat-shrink (like what comes from OSE with the contacts). I use a pair of needle-nose pliers up inside it to stretch it open wider to fit over the larger section. There are smaller pieces over the individual female contacts, and I double layered the black over the larger section.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Just another way to skin the cat.
    Tom does his that way too. So much easier to deal with and less resistance to boot.

Darin, try this stuff some time. It's silicon with no glue. Stick to itself and has a higher melting point than shrink tube. I use it on everything sparky.

http://www.uline.com/BL_6422/Silicon...ilicone%20Tape
    Noisy person

Cool! Thanks Darin!!!