Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks RSX310 , My 1st Outrigger design ever! 31", P/ P-ltd FE Rigger!

I want one for the CanAm in August. Not sure I can pull that off. Looks like an easy build if I leave it alone and just build it Mikes way. Easy is good cuz I'm getting worn out changing boats. Makes them take foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    or not)...
    Please "or not" a one motor series. Ugh. We've had enough motor hand wringing to last a life time.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Please "or not" a one motor series. Ugh. We've had enough motor hand wringing to last a life time.
    Sour puss!

In this case, it would be EASY to work out... I'd say everyone runs a TP 3656-1950 on 4S... Done. :)
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

....or we run P light like we talked about.
    Noisy person

Terry, you need to leave it alone...That is why I am trying to design it right the first time! You should not have to reinvent the wheel to get what you want out of a kit if the designer got it how it needs to be the first time...food for thought!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    Terry, you need to leave it alone...That is why I am trying to design it right the first time! You should not have to reinvent the wheel to get what you want out of a kit if the designer got it how it needs to be the first time...food for thought!
    So how has this design been validated? My understanding is there isn't out there racing/running yet. I could be wrong.

Long Ball, none of these will be sold until it has been fully tested. This is just a pre list set up so when it is ready to offer, I can have a handle on who wanted one first...Just like old times when I originally offered the PS295 tunnel. Just trying to keep it fair. There is a lot of interest in this kit for sure. But no, not until I know it can go out there and run set up the way it is designed will it go out to market!
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    So how has this design been validated? My understanding is there isn't out there racing/running yet. I could be wrong.
    Long Ball, none of these will be sold until it has been fully tested. This is just a pre list set up so when it is ready to offer, I can have a handle on who wanted one first...Just like old times when I originally offered the PS295 tunnel. Just trying to keep it fair. There is a lot of interest in this kit for sure. But no, not until I know it can go out there and run set up the way it is designed will it go out to market!

Gotcha!

Later,
    Ball

Thumbs up

Yeah I remember how crazy the PS295 became
    And a boat that I will never sell off!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Cool

... I'd say everyone runs a TP 3656-1950 on 4S... Done.
    Done until TP changes their motors again. Maybe an improvement again, maybe a downgrade to remain profitable. Maybe no change. Unless NAMBA FE buys a hundred or two and only allows those motors to be used......

There is no easy solution, and Terry is right, too contentious for any sane person to want to revisit.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by fluid View Post
    too contentious for any sane person to want to revisit.
    bwahahahahahahahahaha....
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    too contentious for any sane person to want to revisit..
    But Jay, I already have it all figured out in my head. hahaha

Mike, are you concerned at all about the potential for lift on this design? The sponons have so much more ride surface area than we traditionally see on a rigger. I'm not suggesting I know any better. Just different than we've seen.
    Noisy person

No, I am actually not concerned. I already cross checked the tub curvature against that of the center section GSX310 sport hydro...same overall curve, Then I checked the sponson top deck curvature vs. the GSX310, this rigger has a good deal less curvature. So, overall, based on previous experiences, this one is more tame. You have to use the quarter round on the bottom tho! That is a key feature, allowing me to design in this much curvature into these hulls.

Remember, this quarter round idea started with Don Ferrette trying to go 100 mph with an 1/8th scale FE hydro. He accomplished that. Scale hulls like the 108 hull he used to set that record, have a LOT of top deck curve, so this quarter round proved effective. Now, you might say, yeah, a big battery heavy scale...Well Scott Liddycoat did the exact same thing the following record trials when he set his record (90+ mph...cant remember) with a nitro setup..much lighter hull...same quarter round idea, with some additional testing proving how to adjust its effectiveness!

I also measured the top deck tub length vs. the lower pan tub length, and the numbers work out where the top deck should pull the hull towards the water, not away. The cowling may have some lift effect, but less than any of my sport hydro cowls due to its overall height, and only 2" width. So overall, I am have thought this out very well.

Next, ride pad width is 1-5/8". The GSX310 is a touch more, and the GP310v2 is 2" at the trailing edge, and almost 3" before the air relief. The sponson deck, and center section on the GP310 is also much more radical than the GSX310, or this rigger.

Now, The JAE 21 is a 1-1/4" sponson width on the ride surface. Yes, that is slightly less than mine..what 3/8"? But, due to that narrow width and lack of non trip, you have to run the CoG way back, or in rough water, the boat tanks. (See a Gas JAE with the original sponsons..disaster) With my more traditional non trip style sponson, you can run your CoG more like a sport hydro, and keep the bow down where it needs to be, and have the advantage of non trips in rough water, which to me..is a huge goal in this project. The huge amount of space in the tub to shift the battery forward or back, gives us a LOT of adjustability.

Next, we have the inside sponson edge upper air trap rails. These, which you have seen me use on tunnels, and sport hydros just the same, have been incorporated into my design of this rigger. This helps air flow come across the sponson deck in a turn, forcing the air to stay on the deck, in turn holding down the inside sponson, instead of letting it come up, being loose, or potentially blowing off in the turn.

Finally, I will discuss the sponson shear outside edge and the front leading edge. You will notice, I have used a double sponson sheer, creating a 1/4" thick shear....same as all my GSX series hulls. You may have noticed this same rounded outside edge on another few hulls, mainly, full size unlimited hydros. Why do I use these? Simple, the rounded edge, just like the rounded nosing block on my sport hydros, helps stop snap blow offs. These slow down the air flow as it enters the sponsons front, or outside edge, effectively keeping the hull stable. Why? The air hits this edge, slows down, and if the boat does get out of shape due to a wave, or wind, it slows down how fast the airflow change from top deck down force, the underside up force. This effectively gives you more time to react, letting off the throttle, settling the hull back down. If you take a look at some other boats out there, and how they blow off vs. a great Video Jesse J did a few years back of the GP335 (the round, blunt nosing block demonstration), you will see how much slower my designs are to "take flight", giving you a time advantage to settle the boat down.

So, as you can see, a LOT goes into these designs. Function is a must, but I have to have some form...or I quit! haha. Simple history tells us, yes...there is a lot of curvature going on, you are right..but the other things I do to the hull counteract that, which is why it is imperative once the design is done, and tested, and works, not to remove things like the quarter round. It is there so all these ideas work in harmony.

I don't usually discuss these ideas publicly, but I figured it was time to share why I do what I do!

But at the end of the day, it may not work. If it doesn't, I already have a backup idea ready, and can design those changes in less than a day. Will I need them..I really don't think so, but if so, they will be done, and I will test it again, and again until I am happy with the results!

I Hope this clarified everything? If not, let me know, and I will do better to answer.
    Last edited by cybercrxt; 06-16-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Canopy plug is fully sanded up to 1500 grit, rubbing compound work done. Next is polishing compound, then mold release....

Fitted the rudder and strut. If you look closely you can see I cut the rudder bracket as it was about 1/8" to wide to fit. I did this at an angle so it would tuck in behind the strut bracket, using it for support. Added the water inlet and outlets as well. Long night of sanding as I have 4 different plugs in development right now, and they are all at the sanding stage before polishing.

-

FE Version:

1) Darin Jordan OSE
    2) Terry Davis OSE
    3) Kent Seal IW
    4) Paul 785 x 4 kits OSE

5) Jerry Muro/ Boatnutz IW/OSE
    6) JHL1963 OSE
    7) Reed Eagle OSE
    8) Maryland FE- Pete Welty Jr. OSE
    9)
    10)

Nitro Version, when available:

1)Glenn Quarles wants to test
    2) Rockin Robin Stebbins?

3) Shane Bastick

Mike, I follow your logic. I'm not sure I agree with all of it but that's totally okay.

The time you clearly put into these that can't be recouped is admirable. To me at least. I now to others as well. If you're like me your designing stuff in your head when you're not occupied with something else. I solve more engineering riddles from the day job just before I fall asleep. You don't get paid for that brain time either.

These things are all educated guesses based on our own experiences. That's why we test em. Sometimes we guess wrong. Sometimes we're a genius. I have no problem with any of that.
    Noisy person

Cool, cool. We will see what happens with this thing. I hope I am on the right track, if not, I will figure this out one way or the other! I just really want it to look as good as it performs. The rigger class needs a little of that!

Looks great Mike!
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Cool, cool. We will see what happens with this thing. I hope I am on the right track, if not, I will figure this out one way or the other! I just really want it to look as good as it performs. The rigger class needs a little of that!
    Wood rules.
    Noisy person

Mike,
    Bob Horowitz here. Please put me on the list for one of these rigger kits for when you have them ready. Let me know if you want a deposit or anything to show my sincerity. I really want to get in on the ground floor. I would like the electric version.
    Regards,
    Bob

No deposit needed Bob, Thanks! Mike

FE Version:

1) Darin Jordan OSE
    2) Terry Davis OSE
    3) Kent Seal IW
    4) Paul 785 x 4 kits OSE

5) Jerry Muro/ Boatnutz IW/OSE
    6) JHL1963 OSE
    7) Reed Eagle OSE
    8) Maryland FE- Pete Welty Jr. OSE
    9) bhorowitz- Bob Horowitz OSE
    10)

Nitro Version, when available:

1)Glenn Quarles wants to test
    2) Rockin Robin Stebbins?

3) Shane Bastick

Got in two sweet fins from Macomb this morning. They are made of stainless, and really paper thin, and extremely strong! I am really excited to see how these work. I am hoping one of these will be part of this rigger kit once released! Here are some pics. Thanks for getting these to me so fast Macomb!

Oh yeah...those look nice!
    "Will race for cookies!"
    IMPBA D12
    My Gallery: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/album.php?u=1738

those turn fins look great

Got back in town yesterday afternoon, and got the Cowling mold done. Turned out really well. If the design works, I am going to make a second mold to cut down on turn around time. I will now proceed forward on the rest of the hull build starting tonight!

-

Well, I guess the next logical choice, would be a 24" long .12 or 2s rigger, The RSX240. I am just playing with the design right now until the RSX310 is built and tested. This is just a test plan and profile. That is a 2s 5000mah 65c Giant Power lipo, and the same 36x56mm can as originally shown in the 310 design. The tub width is adjusted to 3" as the scale down dropped it a little lower. And the boom tubes are still the 5/16" like the 310. Tell me what you think! Mike

Never been this interested in riggers since the Nimh days and Climate boat works N2 riggers. Push it to 26.5" like the sport hydro?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mike,
    Boy oh boy, I'd sure be interested in that too. I really like little boats. As far as I'm concerned you could go even smaller, like the JAE Minisprint. The pond closest to me is perfect for the smaller boats.
    Regards,
    Bob

Sounds good Bob!

Here is where I am at with the build. Been out of town for a funeral last week, so I did what I could do. I have the tub and sponsons epoxied and carbon fiber added, and I laid up the first cowling yesterday, and trimmed it and fitted! Looks pretty cool! Enjoy, Mike

-

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast