Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ML Boatworks RSX310 , My 1st Outrigger design ever! 31", P/ P-ltd FE Rigger!

Default ML Boatworks RSX310 , My 1st Outrigger design ever! 31", P/ P-ltd FE Rigger!

Hey everyone. I have talked about this for a few years now, but I finally am hustling to get this design finished, and built in the very near future. This is my first rigger design so its all new to me, however, I have put in the logic I have learned, along with some other guys that actually know Rigger design, and this is where I am at! As you can see, it has some things you have never seen in a rigger to help the build be easy as possible. the rear bottom plate is also the framework for the rear shoes, all in one piece. This will be light weight, and very strong. As you can see, the center section design is pretty much done, and I am working on the sponsons now. Yes, the top has a lot of curvature, I wanted this for looks...To combat that, the bottom has the quarter round included, just like my sport hydros...which has been extremely effective in controlling the hulls downforce. Right now, this will be a 31" design, but if it works like I hope, a 38" and probably 44" will follow...we just need to see how this goes! Give me your feedback on the look of the design, and the cowling! Thanks, Mike Luszcz, ML Boatworks

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

VERY cool, Mike...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Nice.

Mike,
    I can't wait to see the final drawings. I'm sure the kit will be fabulous just like the rest of your creations.
    Bob

Looks very cool, you make me want to buy a kit versus trying to build one from scratch.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Thanks everyone. I hope this will be a good running hull!

Mike, again with the 1/4 round air dam? Can't we design that out? Hate that. Otherwise, extremely cool.

Something to think about. Some guys attach the rear shoes with double sided 3m tape so that they can take them off with a piece of fishing line or mover them about etc.
    Noisy person

Lol, those in the know understand the 1/4 round. Those that don't...still use hulls without it. The 1/4 round is not only there because it works, but it also makes the forward part of the center section be flatter as well, AND gives us FE guys what we always need more of...BATTERY ROOM. Ask Don Ferrette how he feels about the 1/4 round...He will tell you he has a lot of success, and records because of it. How can you hate something you have never used, or tried? Oh, you still run a whip....I stopped trying to fit FE in those 5 years ago...to much trouble :)

I don't want people adjusting something that once the design is proven doesn't need moving! The JAE doesn't have an adjustable ski? Crapshooters are not adjustable are they? These are set at 3.25 degrees AoA, just like the front sponsons, which is where they need to be.

That very thing is why the GP400 in nitro form was such a slow go. One of the first big name racers that built one decided to change up the sponson bottoms before ever even testing the hull, or put the COG where it was told it needed to be...and went out in public and made a disaster or a race weekend...hence all people saw was the top side of the boat, thinking it was a poor design. Another guy was bound and determined to remove the 1/4 round from his GP310...Went out and ran it, it was a disaster...added it back, and guess what..it worked great.

The cool thing is tho Terry, is this is just another option for people to try. If they don't like the looks, there are other options! That is the great thing about this hobby. I don't want to be like everyone else. That is pointless to me as a designer. If I am not testing new things, then I might as well shut down, and just buy other peoples designs. Don't you think?

Oh I get it. Variety. Spice of life etc.

I don't like the 1/4 round because it looks like a design afterthought. Like the boats was designed, found to have too much lift, and then had an air dam added to salvage it. All your hydros have it so I know it isn't an after thought but many look at the boats and think WTF.

I haven't raced a Whip in it's out of the box state since 2008 maybe. Most people ask "is that a Whip?" I always say "sort of". I've change my Whips more than any. You're right, they're a major league PIA to make electric. I haven't built one in a 5 or so years.

I changed my 8255 too. Runs fantastic. Light on it's feet. Fun to drive. No hiccups. The Wildthing 36 runs very nearly perfect by the way. My son is loving the boat. Mild mods there. Heck, there's few I don't change to my liking. I changed the AQ Lucas too. That came out sweet.

Is the plan to place the batteries between the booms? On my JAE I run them behind the booms. Not better or worse. Just what works on mine. On a 2030 it's respectable but with the changes I made to that (haha more changes) I can't get much more motor in it.

When do you think these will be ready? I'll try one for P. Looks like a simple build. I promise to give your 1/4 round a chance. haha Let me know what the price is and I'll paypal ya when you're ready. Or heck, before you're ready is fine too. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking they want to try it.
    Noisy person

....for YOU TERRY? 2X.
    Noisy person

Yeah, its definitely not an afterthought. Here is the thing, and why I like it so much. It allows me more design freedom. I can arch the top deck, giving my designs some character, not just dead flat from front to back. When your top deck is longer than your bottom deck, you get lift, so everyone else has to run their tops flat as can be, removing "airplane" wing lift. Because of the quarter round, I can effectively increase the bottom side distance, giving me the ability to add the nice, flowing top deck lines that I want to the hull. This ability to add height on the center section of the hull ALSO gives us FE guys way more battery room, not only in height, but it also allows the bottom of the hull to be at zero further forward, allowing for longer packs. It truly is a win win. A windshield wiper blade glued to the bottom...that's an afterthought. It gains you nothing other than stability. With the quarter round, you gain usable features! I also closely measure top deck, and bottom deck lengths on all my sport hydros, and this rigger. It's a key thing.

The JAE, while it is functional...it is just plain ugly. The top of the tub is dead flat, and looks porky at the back end. I just don't like it, and didn't want to do the same thing over again. I think most in the small, 4s FE world can agree...we have wanted a small rigger with some character for some time????

I will definitely let you know when stuff is ready to go man. I know you are just trying to figure out whats going on in this head of mine! I love the feedback, and love the challenge!

I am glad you like the 8255, and the Wildthing mono. That is great to hear the 36 Wildthing is running well...not many of them out there.

I am going to make molds of the Wildthing 32" this summer so I can make fiberglass Wildthing 32's, and then maybe the larger sizes later on.
    Gotta make molds of the GSX310 and GSX380 sport hydros as well.

I am making a move towards glass hulls as it seems the wood boat building has died out and ML Boatworks is suffering because of it. Sales are down due to all these RTR glass hulls. I guess I have to change with the times. Not many make a glass rigger, so wood seems more accepted, so I don't think having a wood rigger kit will be an issue.

Gotta keep pushing forward..Progression is Priority!

Quote Originally Posted by cybercrxt View Post
    The JAE, while it is functional...it is just plain ugly. The top of the tub is dead flat, and looks porky at the back end. I just don't like it, and didn't want to do the same thing over again. I think most in the small, 4s FE world can agree...we have wanted a small rigger with some character for some time????
    That thing is hideous IMO. That's why the mods. I dropped the tub down so that it barely fits a 3300 pack on it's side. Then I used a blister canopy to accommodate the motor. It barely works.

We do need a rigger that isn't boring.
    Noisy person

[QUOTE]
    I am making a move towards glass hulls as it seems the wood boat building has died out and ML Boatworks is suffering because of it. Sales are down due to all these RTR glass hulls. I guess I have to change with the times. Not many make a glass rigger, so wood seems more accepted, so I don't think having a wood rigger kit will be an issue.[QUOTE]

Mike.
    You know I love building wooden hulls. The freight down here to Aussie land is going to be astronomical for a big glass hull. The freight on a small box of wood panels & sticks is bearable & makes the exercise cost effective. I know Australia would be a very small market for you, but I hope you don't drop all your wooden kits.
    I'm certainly interested in building one of your riggers when they are ready.
    I've only built one rigger & that was a sort of scratch built Keps hybrid. Mainly because I don't like the look of those JAE "stick insects". Plus, the JAE is what nearly everyone else in the club runs. I'm always one to be a bit different if I can.

Paul, no no, I will always offer ALL of my wood kits, and continue to offer even more wood kits, but I want to offer some of my top designs in fiberglass as well! No, I could never ever drop any of my wood kits! haha. Diversification! Yeah, I noticed the AU dollar has dropped severely vs. the US dollar. This has actually killed my sales in AU. What was once very strong in Feb-May over the last 6 years is now next to dead to AU customers. Pretty sad actually.

Lol @ Stick Insects! haha

Well, that's good news on the kits. There's still some I want to build.
    But yes the Aussie dollar has been forced down again by the powers that be.
    Everything costs an extra 25%-30% including shipping rates too. Just means we either go without or have to save up longer for something we really want.

Mike when will they be available ?

There's something explicably satisfying about building a wood boat. From kit or from scratch. There's just a little a bit of extra ........pride? Can't put my finger on it.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    There's something explicably satisfying about building a wood boat. From kit or from scratch. There's just a little a bit of extra ........pride? Can't put my finger on it.
    Sniffing the glue?

This is why wood models are so addictive.
    I am the same way.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Mike, looks cool, and a nice change to the JAE look. Where do you plan on locating the speed control? Seems to be a pain in some 4S riggers I've found.
    Scott Tapsall
    Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club - Facebook Page
    My Gallery

i just build a JAE to run in limited due to nothing else realy being out there. just to lazy to do scratch builds here.
    good to see there will not only be another kit available but one with some character in it.
    maybe i can afford some more of your kits if i get you to slip them in the box with pauls

I suspect it will be available very soon. I plan to have the design done this week, and get a kit ordered and built. The ESC should fit fine about anywhere. The tub is 3.5" wide, so it can sit beside the battery, or it can even sit on top as the cowling will be plenty tall enough to fit.

Wuzofoz, If Paul wants a kit, and you do too, you guys just let me know, I can have them shipped together without a bit of problem! Thanks, Mike

Mike are you going to have to design a fresh canopy for this or will something you already have molded fit on there?

Every think about doing a cat? hahaha I couldn't help myself.
    Noisy person

The canopy will be easy for me now as I know exactly what I need to do to make it quick and efficently.

One day I will do a catamaran. Low priority as there are so many on the market right now, not really worth it probably.

One day I will do a catamaran. Low priority as there are so many on the market right now, not really worth it probably.
    I think you're right. You'd be doing it for the fun of it right now. Well, and for the wood monkeys like myself.
    Noisy person

Mike,
    Cool looking boat. I can't wait to see it run.

What's the width on the ride surfaces? How are the booms going to be set up for quick replacement (trust me, quick replacement is required)?
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Finished the Sponson design. Still have to add slots for some basswood sticks, but the frames themselves are done! Pretty pleased with the results. Mike

Brian, the hull will need to have inserts installed during the build on the sponsons, and brass tube in the tub, with collars holding the rods centered. I will check ride pad width, I dont have it in front of me right this sec.

Awesome, what design program do you use?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Autocad.

Just ordered booms, inserts, hardware, flex cable, etc!

I suspect it will be available very soon. I plan to have the design done this week, and get a kit ordered and built. The ESC should fit fine about anywhere. The tub is 3.5" wide, so it can sit beside the battery, or it can even sit on top as the cowling will be plenty tall enough to fit.
    Cool, a bit of space in a rigger is nice.
    Scott Tapsall
    Pine Rivers Model Powerboat Club - Facebook Page
    My Gallery

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast