Thread: Project: Super Blast

Default Project: Super Blast

Hey guys.

After owning this boat for almost a year now, I've decided to make it into a real performer.

I've stripped out everything that ever looked like it could possible have been designed by Traxxas, and I have started cleaning the hull.

As soon as I make a trip to my LHS, I will begin to patch all the holes and fiberglass the bottom and build up the transom.

I am trying to decide on whether to go Jet drive or surface drive. I have no idea.

This boat won't be intended as a speed machine, mostly a "basher". So for this reason, I am thinking jet drive.

But I also want to run it in salt water, and I don't think I would like to tear apart a jet drive if I ever ran it in the salt water.

Anyways, here are some pics:
    (the tub is a carbon arrow shaft that I thought would work wonderfully as a strut tube BC it has an internal diameter of 6mm. Perfect for a pair of flanged bearings...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

What type of speeds are you looking for? Heres a little tip a jet drive can only take you so far. A jetdrive can only take a sertain amount of kv (rpm per volt) then it will max out. Also it will only achieve a certain speed and then thats it. As far as i know you can run a jet drive but you have to remeber to clean it just like a surface drive. Unfortunately i dont remember the amount of kv it will take and how fast until it max's out. So far the hull looks awesome im loving that canopy.
    Failure is the First step to SUCCESS

Oh, I forgot to post what I was going to use to power this. My bad.

8 GP3300's and a 540 S or L.

I'm leaning toward surface drive because of the amount of work that would be needed to be done to the transom to allow a jet drive to mount.

Ideally I'm looking for 30, which shouldn't be hard with the setup I plan on using.
    (if it doesn't sink the hull!)

The boat is 21" long and 5-7/8" long.

UPDATE PICS!

filled in a few"dimples" w/ lightweight spackle, and started on my strut. Added a set of pipes to my hatch, so now it's impossible for the boat to be slow![:)]

Here's the setup:

NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU NEED TO PUT SPEED HOLES IN THE HATCH NOT PIPES then youll go fast

Never heard of speed holes in ones hatch...

But I was thinking about a pair of gaping holes in the bottom to make it sit lower.

That'd make it go fast.

Its on one of the simpsons episodes were homer goes to a dealership. Fat Tony (A mob boss) is after him and trys to shoot homer and hits the car in front of him. The sales person quickly cones homer in to thinking the holes make the car faster and calles them speed holes. So homer heads home and grabs a pckaxe and starts smashing hole into his car to make it faster.

Gotcha.

Alright, guys.

Got some more work done on my strut.

Here's some pics:

(as soon as I get my hands on some metal polish, I'll show you what REAL hardware looks like...)

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO YOU NEED TO PUT SPEED HOLES IN THE HATCH NOT PIPES then youll go fast
    I've said that to people a few times, and they never got it...but I still thought it was HILARIOUS!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by j.m. View Post
    Alright, guys.

Got some more work done on my strut.

Here's some pics:

(as soon as I get my hands on some metal polish, I'll show you what REAL hardware looks like...)
    (quote- j.m.)Buddy, i've taken 3 aerospace engineering courses. And thats all you can come up with. Mate i would have expected more!

As in High school courses.

I am 16.

LOL, I guess you missed that one bonewar. Oh well!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

And also, could I see one of your homemade struts bonewar?

Take into consideration that only basic hand tools were used to make it.

Coping saw, drill, file, dremel...

No band saws or otherwise.