Thread: TFL P1 Outdrives, Anyone Running Them Yet and How do they Run??

Default TFL P1 Outdrives, Anyone Running Them Yet and How do they Run??

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a TFL P1 outdrive, but before I spend the cash I'd like to know how they are working out in the field? I have an old 30" Dumas mono that I'd love to put the P1 system in, it would look killer and probably run well. It was a nitro inboard hull, a little bit heavier than the average FE hull but not by much. I read at first only 3S was recommended for the P1 motor/drive, is anybody running 4S with out strength issues?? I'm not looking for a speed demon but I don't want it to be boringly slow either. Any info would be appreciated!!

New member here. I'm interested in this as well. Found no answers on the net, but decided to take a chance and give it a try after looking at the exploded drawing and noticing it had bearings at all the right locations one would expect for durability. I'm going to try it with 4S and see what happens. I'm most concerned about the durability of the dogbone connection. We shall see.

Building a 46" prather with a pair on 3s now and hoping to move up as well. Please keep us informed-I will do the same

I've sold a bunch of them. There have been some gear replacements but nothing crazy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Thanks for the info, sounds like i should just go ahead and take a chance. Maybe with in the next month or 2 i'll order one so i have ti ready to build the boat over the winter.

Steve, i remember reading there was a gear issue like you mentioned (hardness issue i think?) are the new ones coming with better gears now?

FlogginHarvey, Cool, sounds like a great project! A twin set-up on an offshore hull is one of my long term goals!!

Tango Whiskey, what hull are you building?? Looking forward to seeing how your project comes together!

All the stuff we have been selling have the new gears.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmateguy01 View Post

Tango Whiskey, what hull are you building?? Looking forward to seeing how your project comes together!
    I don't know who makes it, but it is this 29" CF mono I bought off ebay:
    s-l1600.jpg

With all the projects I've got going on, it may be a year or so before I get this one in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    All the stuff we have been selling have the new gears.
    can you run on 4s with the new gears or is it just 3s still?

One of our members, Jesse J has been running this outdrive on 4S for several weeks now and hasn't had any issues. He told me he's been monitoring the gears and hasn't seen any noticeable wear yet. I've saw his 29" mono with TFL outdrive & 4S run a couple weeks ago, and it ran very well, with decent speed and handling.

A video he made of his setup is in this thread:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ive-on-CF-mono
    Last edited by Tango Whiskey; 07-31-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Whiskey View Post
    One of our members, Jesse J has been running this outdrive on 4S for several weeks now and hasn't had any issues. He told me he's been monitoring the gears and hasn't seen any noticeable wear yet. I've saw his 29" mono with TFL outdrive & 4S run a couple weeks ago, and it ran very well, with decent speed and handling.

A video he made of his setup is in this thread:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ive-on-CF-mono
    thank you so much for the link.

How have the guys been seting up the water pickup for this out-drive?
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Whiskey View Post
    I don't know who makes it, but it is this 29" CF mono I bought off ebay:
    s-l1600.jpg

With all the projects I've got going on, it may be a year or so before I get this one in the water.
    This carbon mini - Fountain hull is very cool !

Through hull water pick up, Randy.
    I have no turn fins nor tabs. Super clean. Runs great! Kinda like driving a 2wheel drive off-road truck...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I have a 30" scarab hull I want to put one in. I was wondering how well the unit stands up to 4s. What size esc are you running Jesse?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I was running it on a turnigy 120, but I suspect a 90amp would be enough in my boat; it's super light.
    In a 30" I wouldn't go below the 120.
    It "stands up" to 4s fine so far in mine.

How heavy is your boat? And are you racing or fun running?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I was thinking about changing my old Villian over to one of these...
    Till I saw the price LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Through hull water pick up, Randy.
    I have no turn fins nor tabs. Super clean. Runs great! Kinda like driving a 2wheel drive off-road truck...
    Thanks Jesse that is what I did. I built my own with tubing.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterbrad View Post
    I was thinking about changing my old Villian over to one of these...
    Till I saw the price LOL
    Well in that case, do twins!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I was running it on a turnigy 120, but I suspect a 90amp would be enough in my boat; it's super light.
    In a 30" I wouldn't go below the 120.
    It "stands up" to 4s fine so far in mine.

How heavy is your boat? And are you racing or fun running?
    The boat is a 30" dumas scarab.
    I do not know the weight yet, I was thinking of running it mostly for fun on 2s with maybe a 437/3 or a 440/3 on it, but occasionally race it just for kicks. So it is good to hear that the unit stands up to 4s power on the stock prop. All my batts are 5000 mah so they will put a bit of weight in it, but it should be a fun rough water boat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, I just installed twin TFL P1 outdrives on a TFL princess. Was going for the scale look, not speed. I pulled them down, greases and shimmed everything, installed a grease port in the lower leg, installed a blanking grub screw in the hole in the upper leg they leave open. I thought I had fixed everything but I missed that the pins come out of the dog bones links. They had moved in the first run so I pulled them out, pressed the pins back in with locktite 680, peened the ball ends to make the pins lock in. On the second run the pins still moved and damaged the drives. Has anyone found a good substitute for these dog bone drives?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
    Hi all, I just installed twin TFL P1 outdrives on a TFL princess. Was going for the scale look, not speed. I pulled them down, greases and shimmed everything, installed a grease port in the lower leg, installed a blanking grub screw in the hole in the upper leg they leave open. I thought I had fixed everything but I missed that the pins come out of the dog bones links. They had moved in the first run so I pulled them out, pressed the pins back in with locktite 680, peened the ball ends to make the pins lock in. On the second run the pins still moved and damaged the drives. Has anyone found a good substitute for these dog bone drives?
    The loctite 680 should have been sufficient on it's own. It is likely the Peening the balls would have mishaped the holes and was what caused the loctite to fail. I used 680 one time to glue a motor shaft back in the rotor after it spun. It did a number of hours running and is still stuck in that rotor, a collapsed bearing totalled that motor unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    The loctite 680 should have been sufficient on it's own. It is likely the Peening the balls would have mishaped the holes and was what caused the loctite to fail. I used 680 one time to glue a motor shaft back in the rotor after it spun. It did a number of hours running and is still stuck in that rotor, a collapsed bearing totalled that motor unfortunately.
    I did the peeing while the 680 was wet. It should have been ok. I think I will try some car ones if I can find the right length. Others must have come across tis issue as it happened on the first run.