Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: head of the river cat hull thread

Quote Originally Posted by focused View Post
    You just cant go 50 to 60 mph and make a turn at that speed, if so i like to see that on video , you have to step of the throttle and slow down .
    Maybe a twin-drive handles it better then a single drive i dont know but believe me i smashed my cat arround the corner and it didnt like it .

Michiel,
    There is nobody on this planet that knows more about cats than Fluid. You might be suprised if you saw one of his cats in action. You would do well to heed his advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    There is nobody on this planet that knows more about cats than Fluid. You might be suprised if you saw one of his cats in action. You would do well to heed his advice.

Good advice is always welcome , i cannot know everything .

Michiel.

sorry guys been away. to answer 1 question i think my cat weighs in at about 2.3 kg or 5 pounds, alot depends on batterie size
    i havent tried to turn my boat at full speed yet i havent ran it on a proper course to try it.
    i tried a 6xl on 4s with 120 amp esc and yep it killed everyone so i wouldnt recomend it unless you were just trying for saw type runs. but then you would pobably be a lot better going the low kv high volt option
    scott

Finaly caught up with you here Ozzie.
    I'm running the SV27 motor & ESC in mine on 4s with an X645 prop & I think it will stay that way because the club is setting up a restricted Cat class with those & the proboat Blackjack motors & ESCs. Should be fun.
    Just want to let everyone know that I just found a hairline crack down each side of the hull where the top & bottom join. Doesn't go all the way through but it's something to watch out for after a few runs.

Scott.
    Our club is having our yearly open day & swap/sale meet on saturday if you guys want to make the trip. Lots of bargains usually. There'll be clubs from North Coast, South Coast, Logan, Northlakes etc there. As well as Suppliers & manufacturers. It's an open invitation. To anyone in the area, here's a link to our website for the info.
    http://www.triple-s.org.au/
    All the best.
    Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hey good to hear from you paul, i cant make it up but will let geoff know he mite come up. good idea to run a stock class keeps price down and closer raceing you probably should look at a fiego sv 27 motors hard to get
    cheers scott

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Finaly caught up with you here Ozzie.
    I'm running the SV27 motor & ESC in mine on 4s with an X645 prop & I think it will stay that way because the club is setting up a restricted Cat class with those & the proboat Blackjack motors & ESCs. Should be fun.
    Just want to let everyone know that I just found a hairline crack down each side of the hull where the top & bottom join. Doesn't go all the way through but it's something to watch out for after a few runs.

Scott.
    Our club is having our yearly open day & swap/sale meet on saturday if you guys want to make the trip. Lots of bargains usually. There'll be clubs from North Coast, South Coast, Logan, Northlakes etc there. As well as Suppliers & manufacturers. It's an open invitation. To anyone in the area, here's a link to our website for the info.
    http://www.triple-s.org.au/
    All the best.
    Paul.
    Paul, hey mate, i ran mine on the weekend with the hyperion esc along with an ammo 2300, i ran an x640 prop and man does this thing move, its running a little wet when there is no chop but for racing it should be the ticket... see you at the swap meet on saturday, should be good..
    Ben

My setup is :

Motor, Feigao 540XL9
    Esc , ETTI 125amp
    Lipo , 2 x Zippy H 5000Mah 3s
    Speed , 58mhp with 42mm K prop hope to reach 60+ with a 42mm metal prop
    Time of fun . 6 to 7 min.

I think its best to put all the head of the river cats in one place so i`m in and if you need help just ask.

grtz

Michiel.
    My boat is going to be setup like your. Where did you get that prop? Could you give me a link? BTW, is that 5000Mah per pack or is that total of two packs in series?

Exclamation

Hi everyone bought a bare hull and need help setting up in dual formation - I want to run with either twin 2300 Ammos or Feiago 8xl's

ESC's will probably be 2x 100 Xpowers or CC 120 Hydra unless some can advise me on using a single esc like 240CC Hydra

> What motor mounts do i need to fit in sponsons??

> Where's the best positioning for mounts??
    (please include some sort of measurement for me to follow

> As i have plenty of .150 flex cable (for my BJ26 & SV27) I would like to use these in this build - so apart from obviously using the SV27 strut can anyone recommend other struts drive i could use?

I'd really like something that looks like the stuff from swissmodelpowerboats or MHZ powertrimm drivers if possible without the huge cost - suggestions please??

> I have plenty of props Cf & Octura but I guessing i will need counter rotating props??

and lastly is it recommend to reinforce the hull internally with a thin layer of F/glass or carbon fibre??

Huge gratitude if anyone can assist me is this build thanks

yes will using Lipos from 4 to 6s 5000Mah or more if i can get them

Hi everyone bought a bare hull and need help setting up in dual formation - I want to run with either twin 2300 Ammos or Feiago 8xl's
    Two XL8 are unnessesary big , 2 540L will be enough

ESC's will probably be 2x 100 Xpowers or CC 120 Hydra unless some can advise me on using a single esc like 240CC Hydra

I would 120 or bigger

> What motor mounts do i need to fit in sponsons??

homemade one`s from carbon or epoxy plate

> Where's the best positioning for mounts??
    (please include some sort of measurement for me to follow

that i dont know

> As i have plenty of .150 flex cable (for my BJ26 & SV27) I would like to use these in this build - so apart from obviously using the SV27 strut can anyone recommend other struts drive i could use?

Struts from LINK LINK

I'd really like something that looks like the stuff from swissmodelpowerboats or MHZ powertrimm drivers if possible without the huge cost - suggestions please??

> I have plenty of props Cf & Octura but I guessing i will need counter rotating props??

yes and counter rotating flex cable

and lastly is it recommend to reinforce the hull internally with a thin layer of F/glass or carbon fibre??

first layer of carbon then finish it with a thin layer of f/glass

grtz

Michiel.
    Last edited by focused; 11-07-2008 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    My boat is going to be setup like your. Where did you get that prop? Could you give me a link? BTW, is that 5000Mah per pack or is that total of two packs in series?
    Tony ,

I use these props and each 3s pack is 5000Mah .

Michiel.

Tony ,

I use these props and each 3s pack is 5000Mah .

Michiel.
    How about Octura X642? BTW, Can you give me link to the Zippy lipo? Thanks

Showstopper --- Castle advises not to try to run two motors off the 240!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Thanks for the answers - Really need to know where to install motor mounts - As i would rather buy mounts which should i use?? and from where??....

who ever has one of these hulls can they measure from transom to front of motor mount if possible

OK then - I'll probably go with 2x cc 120 Hydras or make use of the two Xpower 100 ESC I have lying around, they where good in my SV27 with 2300Kv Ammo setup.

Counter rotating flex cables? Where do i buy them? I've never seen these - then again I've never looked for then before.

Thanks again!!

With counter rotating props is it best to turn inwards or outwards?????????

See the thread you started...
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diegoboy View Post
    See the thread you started...
    snort pixi sticks=symptoms-:

Counter rotating flex cables? Where do i buy them? I've never seen these - then again I've never looked for then before. Quote.

OSE have l/h and r/h wind flex cable.
    Stevens got everything, you know that.!!!

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    As I have seen many times from a select few. Where the heck is the advise? All I ever see is criticism about what people say with their experience and people knocking each others builds but no advise is ever given. Some of us would like to know how to get a hull to handle at w.o.t at 60 mph. Again where the hell is the advise instead of the "I know how" and "If you know what your doing".

Ozzie Crawl is building up a twin drive version of these hulls & knowing his generous nature I'm sure he'll offer some pretty good advice once he sees your questions.
    There's also a thread of a twin Maritimo hull being built by Bonewar which may have some useful info in it. Especialy the motor mounts & positions.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=3090

You've got to remember Boatman, that there's probably not many people with first hand knowlege of twin drive cats on these boards so you'll have to be patient. The answers will come.
    I myself have a single drive version of this cat with the SV27 package on 4s lipo spinning an X645 prop So I can't help much I'm afraid.
    The only other thing I can say is that with the Ammo 2300 the X637 is a great prop. On 4s in a mono at least, if that's any help.
    All the best.
    Paul.

thanks paul. this is my first twin cat so it is a new one for me as well. as far as mounting brackets goes it depends on were you will run your batteries
    (ie in the sponsons or on the tunnel) if you run the batteries in the sponsons you will need to set them as far back as possible to get your center of gravity correct. i myself will not be running batts in sponsons so my brackets will be further foward as iam at this point not going to set it up for oval but just to see what speed i can achive
    scott

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
    As I have seen many times from a select few. Where the heck is the advise? All I ever see is criticism about what people say with their experience and people knocking each others builds but no advise is ever given. Some of us would like to know how to get a hull to handle at w.o.t at 60 mph. Again where the hell is the advise instead of the "I know how" and "If you know what your doing".
    Boatman your right on the money there mate. I would be only to happy to answer any question you have in regards to a twin drive cat. I have a build thread going on the twin drive maritimo which is about the same size as river cat hull . You might fine some interesting reading there. Showstoppercat mate in regards to the placement of your motor mounts. you really need to know where the c o g of the hull is first, then if you where to use wire drives , i would place the motor mounts towards the front of the boat to get a relaxed drive line, with the flex cable you can run a little more aggressive bend in the drive line, which allows you to move the motor mounts back, then just like Ozzie crawl said it depends on where you are going to run your batts, in the spoonson , on top of the tunnel. So my advise to you mate would be put everything in the hull and go from there , it will give you a better idea of where everything will fit around the center of gravity. hope this helps bonewar

Yes batteries will be tied down in the tunnel - Was going to copy the the install positions like those lucky enough to have Jollycat - (ESC + Motor installed in Sponsons & Lipos in between) thanks boys !!

> Whats the BEST way to find COG??

> Which motor mounts will fit in sponsons - will any from OSE fit in there??

> As previously mentioned, I want/ will be using and running with .150 flex cables - will I be restricted to using the SV adjustable struts or can i use any with 3/16th prop shaft?? - Cause I really like the authentic looking drive shafts from MHZ like the Powertrimm VPX1 (twin pack) - If not can anyone suggest any others i SHOULD use consider?? - FOCUSED sent me a link of strut from (Head of The River ebay site) but they are not very flattering - Thanks anyway FOCUSED
    Last edited by showstoppercat; 11-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by showstoppercat View Post
    Yes batteries will be tied down in the tunnel - Was going to copy the the install positions like those lucky enough to have Jollycat - (ESC + Motor installed in Sponsons & Lipos in between) thanks boys !!

> Whats the BEST way to find COG??

> Which motor mounts will fit in sponsons - will any from OSE fit in there??

> As previously mentioned, I want/ will be using and running with .150 flex cables - will I be restricted to using the SV adjustable struts or can i use any with 3/16th prop shaft?? - Cause I really like the authentic looking drive shafts from MHZ like the Powertrimm VPX1 (twin pack) - If not can anyone suggest any others i SHOULD use consider?? - FOCUSED sent me a link of strut from (Head of The River ebay site) but they are not very flattering - Thanks anyway FOCUSED
    You can use the MTC Powertrimm V long version with either 3,2 or 4,7mm flex cable
    it will fit loooks nice and they are very strong but not cheap think 100 dollar each ex flexcable and tubing.

The MHZ vpx1 powertrimm is made by the same company MTC but MHZ is only selling them .

Link to MTC

Michiel.

Talking

SHOWSTOPPERCAT The center of gravity should be around 28%-35% of the hulls length. this is measure from the back forward. and will give you a very good starting point, make sure you leave yourself a little room for the batts to be moved forward or backward, this will help later to fine tune the ride of the hull. Not to sure on the right size motor mounts need measurements. The powertrimm VPX1 are a very good choice , The stub shafts inner dia is 3/16 , so you can use your .150 flex as long as the end is 3/16 , ( i have done this on my sv27 all i did was cut the threaded part off the.150 flex cable then glued that into the stub shaft. I think if you are going to use the VPX1 you would be better off with 3/16 flex ( stronger/ no break problems). Run throw brass stuffing tube, no Teflon , lots of grease. bonewar

Cool

CG should be 32-34% forward of the sponson transoms, not the back of the boat. The exact figure will depend on the speed and lifting characteristics of the hull, as well as the strut angle. Don't be afraid to add lead to the bow to get the CG where it needs to be, a few ounces of weight will improve performance rather than hurt it with this setup.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    CG should be 32-34% forward of the sponson transoms, not the back of the boat. The exact figure will depend on the speed and lifting characteristics of the hull, as well as the strut angle. Don't be afraid to add lead to the bow to get the CG where it needs to be, a few ounces of weight will improve performance rather than hurt it with this setup.

Sorry Showstoppercat i meant the the back of the transom spoonson forward. Once again the fluid response with criticism for those who try to help , Mate why don't you add you 2 cents worth when the question are asked , Do you like to wait on a response so that you can criticize it! dude all i here is fluid is the man when it comes to these cats, And all i see from you is smart ass replys to people that are trying to help other people! We are not all as good as you are ! legend

thanks boys !!! for all the my questions so far - Will start with cog and making my own motor plates fixing them in - those MTC/ Mhz drives are cool (doesn't look like i can pay buy paypal - will need think about those......

Hey Showstoppercat.
    Here's a bit more reading for you. Every little bit helps.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=2400
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Showstopper- I have a twin drive Jolly and I love it! I have only had it wet a few times but it runs real nice! It's powered with 8xl's & Hydra 240's(overkill but I had a little disposable income) Besides if I want to go faster I just have to get different motors!

I put the Esc's in the middle on the tunnel and the lipos in the sponson's! My thinking is with the lipo's in the sponson's it lowers the center of gravity! But I may be all wet!
    We did it with a Bang!

Cats Are Where It's At!

Cool

...i meant the the back of the transom spoonson forward...We are not all as good as you are !
    Whatever. When I see misinformation posted that may confuse or cause a newer boater to screw up his build, I will correct that bad info even if it is my own. Newbies have enough problems without us giving them bum suggestions.

I am sorry that you feel so defiled because I pointed out your mistake. Tell you what - to avoid future spikes in your blood pressure - why not just put me on your IGNORE list? Hey, problem solved.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast