Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best transmitter?

Cool

You'll make the right decision.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Well that was quick, just bought the DX4S. Figure I can just keep the old airtronics for the crawler, all my EPAs and dig settings are golden. Might wind up running the dx on it as it comes with the extra receiver.. Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    Why do you have a bag of defective mr series receivers? What happened to them?
    You should talk to Darin. Apparently he hasn't had any issues in ten years and his even work if they get wet.

And I say that with a smile, Darin... Let's move on

But to be fair... I still feel MOST is accurate when we start discussing water and an RX. No matter what brand the RX is. That's why they sell these boxes, some people put them in balloons, while other find other ways of waterproofing the best they can.

I don't have an answer. They just stopped working. The light would not come on anymore. I remember a couple times they would act glitchy and then stop working. No water in them as I would take them apart and check. The sr210 is my go to now. Haven't had any issues with those. I didn't like the dual antenna on the MR series anyway.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Very Interesting. So Darin, do you use the AVC feature, and if so to what extent.

Thanks, JLH

To add, I don't plan on using the AVC on the boat. Maybe the axial or the old nitro stampede.

While I haven’t had much time on my newest Futaba equipment, I think there is some telemetry features that are going provide more insight on what is happening WHILE the boat is running. With regards to boats, I speak specifically on motor temperature.

I recently replace some of my FASST equipment with the newer T-FHSS. I am currently using the 4GRS (stick style) http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk...grs/index.html. Although there are several options for wheel style; I believe the 4PLS is the wheel equivalents to the radio I’ve been testing. http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk...pls/index.html.

I recently set up on of my boats using the temperature sensor on my P-Limited Sport Hydro. With only making one run I learned a lot about what happens to motor temps when the boat is moving vs. being stationary. There have been some theories that motor temps start to lower after a run and you’re walking back to your pit. I don’t necessarily believe that any longer. In this one particular test session the temp was reading 90’ish degress WHILE RUNNING after 4-5 laps. I then brought the boat in and proceeded to walk back to my pit, roughly 30-50 yards away. During that time I watched the temp read out on the transmitter. The temp jumped 15-20 degrees in only a few minutes.

Now, I understand this isn’t the most scientific testing procedure; there is a lot to be gained with these new found features.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    I recently set up on of my boats using the temperature sensor on my P-Limited Sport Hydro. With only making one run I learned a lot about what happens to motor temps when the boat is moving vs. being stationary. There have been some theories that motor temps start to lower after a run and you’re walking back to your pit. I don’t necessarily believe that any longer. In this one particular test session the temp was reading 90’ish degress WHILE RUNNING after 4-5 laps. I then brought the boat in and proceeded to walk back to my pit, roughly 30-50 yards away. During that time I watched the temp read out on the transmitter. The temp jumped 15-20 degrees in only a few minutes.
    Mike,
    I 100% concur with your findings. I have actually let the boat set in the water for about 15-30 seconds, let the temp climb about 10-15 degrees, then run at about half throttle for about half lap and watch the temp drop back down. It's kind of a cool thing to see the water cooling work like that.

I'm not as advanced in setups as many on here (obviously including you Mike), which is why I immediately found benefit to have the telemetry with real time temp reads on the motor and esc. When I was originally starting out, I was able to put a new prop on, run a couple laps, and checks temps to see if I was alright.

The only real complaint I have regarding my FlySky FS-iT4 is that the telemetry should have an alarm setting. IOW... I'd like it to sound an alarm if my temps go above a set number. I can't watch my remote during a race.

Does your Fatuba have an alarm you can set?
    Have fun with that....

Does your Fatuba have an alarm you can set?
    Not that I am aware of.

The tricky part would be deciding at what temperature to get nervous.
    Noisy person

With regards to the other comments about Radio Brands vs. Reliability:

No one ever discussed the proper method of mounting, securing, protecting, and isolating a RX in whatever application it may be in. Like Terry stated earlier; many of us (including me) take for granted how well this components hold up to some very rough, violent, wet, and temperature conditions. I think all of us boaters could benefit from a little more attention to isolating and properly mounting (protecting) an RX. I think this plays a big part in a radio being reliable vs. un-reliable.

The terminology “Waterproof”, “Water resistant”, and “Splash proof” all mean different things. Water in general terms water can find its way into the smallest of places. I refuse to accept these little do-dads are really “waterproof”. One thing you can’t deny, you get water on/in your RX it’s another level of risk you need to accept. I do my best to eliminate all water intrusions during NORMAL circumstances regardless of what I am being told by manufactures.

Just my 2 pennies...

Later,
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Agreed... It's a data point. As more data is collected, it will help us understand what is bad and what is OK. There are still too many variables in play that won't allow us to draw a definitive conclusion that X temp is the killer.

The telemetry temp would be much more meaningful if we could put the sensor in a more strategic place. Motors with a water cooling jacket that covers 90%-95% of the can make placement difficult. None the less it's progress and better information that we had in the past.

Later,
    Ball

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I think each boat and time of year (pond temp) will require differences. I figure, I would run a boat through 6 laps, check running temp and set the alarm for 5 to 10 degrees above that.

During a race... if an alarm went off, I'd pull back to half throttle, see if temp drops any.
    If it does, continue to run... cautiously.
    If it doesn't, shut it down. Probably a plugged water line or something.

And I believe in what Mike says... that "There are still too many variables in play that won't allow us to draw a definitive conclusion that X temp is the killer."
    But... It would be nice to have something of an alarm say "Hey, beware", "Temps getting up there"
    Have fun with that....

Back to the OP's original question.

Buy the best radio that your racing budget can afford. There are several brands out there that will work just fine.

I think each boat and time of year (pond temp) will require differences.
    I am not sure I understand this statement. The motors don't care what boat/application they are in. Hot is Hot... Although we don't exactly know what the threshold is for motors; the threshold isn't what is changing.

During a race... if an alarm went off, I'd pull back to half throttle, see if temp drops any.
    If it does, continue to run... cautiously.
    If it doesn't, shut it down. Probably a plugged water line or something.
    What position are you running and on what lap does your alarm go off? It's easy to type this, but if your in the lead with one lap left to go; are you really going to slow down?

I am not sure I understand this statement. The motors don't care what boat/application they are in. Hot is Hot... Although we don't exactly know what the threshold is for motors; the threshold isn't what is changing.
    Don't know how many boats you have yours hooked up in, but you will find each boat runs different temps. My mono runs about 110 to 115 degrees, while my cat runs about 5 degrees hotter. Just saying I'd set the alarm a little above normal for that boat/setup so I get an early warning that something is happening. I agree there is a threshold a motor can take and a boat/setup will not change that threshold. But I want to know something is wrong before I hit the threshold.

What position are you running and on what lap does your alarm go off? It's easy to type this, but if your in the lead with one lap left to go; are you really going to slow down?
    Yes... I would... without question.
    Not frying a motor, esc or even my entire boat is more important then winning a single race. Not unless the purse is more $$$ then my boat is worth. This isn't Nascar or the Indy. It's toy boats
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by skiking1739 View Post
    Very Interesting. So Darin, do you use the AVC feature, and if so to what extent.

Thanks, JLH
    I've tested it (for Spektrum), but no, I don't. I can see some points where it would help for certain applications (active Canard, etc.) but for general boat racing, it's more trouble than it's worth. A properly setup boat won't benefit.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I tried it too. Kinda make a mess of things.
    Noisy person

Anyone have range issues with the DX4S ? I had 3 failsafes yesterday. I was getting easily twice the range with the old Airtronics MX-3FG $150 10 years ago. This Spectrum has terrible range, by terrible im talking 400-450 ft. Its impossible to try to go 90mph with this thing. Contacting support on tuesday. If its a faulty unit then ok, but if this is normal Futaba here I come.

To add... The runs yesterday where in the mountains on a lake with no obstructions no rc anything and no cell service. Interference is pretty much out.

My DX4R PRO has a range of at least 900 feet, haven't tried it further out. What receiver do you have? How far out of the hull is the antenna? What are you using to power the receiver? Some are voltage sensitive.

My dx4s works just fine. I never measured the distance but it goes as far as I can see.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    My DX4R PRO has a range of at least 900 feet, haven't tried it further out. What receiver do you have? How far out of the hull is the antenna? What are you using to power the receiver? Some are voltage sensitive.

Was using the sr410, 6v from bec. Switched to the sr4210 on 5v no AVC. See how that goes

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    My dx4s works just fine. I never measured the distance but it goes as far as I can see.
    I wish.. Id be happy with half that.

Was using the sr410, 6v from bec. Switched to the sr4210 on 5v no AVC. See how that goes
    How much antenna was outside the hull? You didn't fold over the last inch did you? Carbon fiber hull?

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    I wish.. Id be happy with half that.
    Well you e got something wrong. I just ran 99.9 and 100.0mph a couple hours ago and my reached as far as I needed it too without cutting out. Sr210 receiver. 32" carbon fiber cat.

I'll tell you this, if your not using a seperate bec on your setup, then that's where your problem is. My 27" cat was cutting out until I used a seperate bec. Just a thought.

Well you e got something wrong. I just ran 99.9 and 100.0mph a couple hours ago and my reached as far as I needed it too without cutting out. Sr210 receiver. 32" carbon fiber cat.

I'll tell you this, if your not using a seperate bec on your setup, then that's where your problem is. My 27" cat was cutting out until I used a seperate bec. Just a thought.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=de-vhvbec Mounted 4" from receiver. Ill run the 4210 and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    How much antenna was outside the hull? You didn't fold over the last inch did you? Carbon fiber hull?

As much antenna wire that fits in the stock zelos twin straw all the way up to the rubber stop via the stock receiver location. This wire is actually almost an inch longer than the airtronics'.

So in the end the DX4S is going back. Im looking into the Futaba 4PX. Im looking to do speed runs and this Spectrum just doesnt have what I need. I realize the Futaba is twice the price but if I dont get failsafes I'm happy. I can't fathom loosing $2000 worth of boat to signal loss. I'm glad others are happy with Spectrum, just doesn't fit my needs of 500+ft of range. 5 signal losses in two weekends is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    So in the end the DX4S is going back. Im looking into the Futaba 4PX. Im looking to do speed runs and this Spectrum just doesnt have what I need. I realize the Futaba is twice the price but if I dont get failsafes I'm happy. I can't fathom loosing $2000 worth of boat to signal loss. I'm glad others are happy with Spectrum, just doesn't fit my needs of 500+ft of range. 5 signal losses in two weekends is enough for me.
    Something must be wrong with your setup. I run my boat in a lake that's 2000ft long. It will reach from one end to the other with me in the middle. I did change my aa batts to high voltage nizn batts which I highly recommend. I should have mentioned that earlier. It really helped. I've had range issues in the past but one reason was the mr series receivers which just didn't work well for me and adding the hv batts. I only use sr210 and 310 receivers now. I like this radio so much I'm chomping at the bit for the new dx6 to be released because I'll be getting one.

Something must be wrong with your setup. I run my boat in a lake that's 2000ft long. It will reach from one end to the other with me in the middle. I did change my aa batts to high voltage nizn batts which I highly recommend. I should have mentioned that earlier. It really helped. I've had range issues in the past but one reason was the mr series receivers which just didn't work well for me and adding the hv batts. I only use sr210 and 310 receivers now. I like this radio so much I'm chomping at the bit for the new dx6 to be released because I'll be getting one.
    No biggie. Im running a hvBEC. Ive tried 5v and 6v output. Ive even run the antenna wire all the way sticking out of the straw. Was using the included receivers though. Customer service told me that 4-500ft is normal due to some government regulations. Futaba is advertising 1200ft. Spectrum is unspecified. Choice is easy. Will keep the ol duffer MX3FG just in case. You can see in my vid the range Im after. Not asking too much. The dx4s made it about 3/4 of that distance and took a bow. Wind blew it back my way. I should be taking the paddleboat with me but yeah.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast