Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best transmitter?

Default What's the best transmitter?

Looking for a reliable, good range pistol radio. My old airtronics MX3-fg from my crawler is due for retirement and from what I've read airtronics isn't what it used to be.... Futaba fast 3PM-X? Looks good for crawling and boating. Any insight is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cool

The Best? IMO:

Futaba 4PX or 3PV
    Spektrum DX4R PRO

I've owned two of these, and both have been flawless. Do you need a $300+ transmitter? Depends. If you own several models, if you need excellent range, if you race or run very fast or expensive boats then I would say perhaps.

Can you get by with less? Of course, the 3PM-X is probably a great transmitter. I am very glad that you are not looking for a cheap radio.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thank Fluid. My Zelos36 is carrying just under $400 in just batteries, so yeah.

If you are considering Spektrum, and want the performance of the higher priced TX but don't need all the additional whistles and bells (which, you really don't for boats)... this is another option. Same range performance, etc., but just fewer features, most of which you'll never use anyway.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodId=SPM4200W

SPM4200W_a1.jpg

All that said... There are programmable upgrades that I'm aware of that are on the way for the DX4R-Pro, which is one of the benefits of having the higher-end TX. Things like Active control, Telemetry, etc. These upgrades usually target the higher end stuff, because it's capable of operating it.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I have both the 3rPro and 4rPro Spektrum. Love em but Darin is right. The 4R does a bunch of stuff I'll never use.

I've not owned a Futaba in ages but I have driven with a Futaba. Has a certain feel in the hand that's hard to describe. You know it's a quality piece of equipment. I think it's still the gold standard. But then it's priced as such too.

You absolutely will hear success stories from people using cheaper gear. The FlySky and Tactic radios work well too but I often wonder if we simply don't hear from the guys that have had a real problem. Sorta like "My Yugo always got me where I wanted to go".......................until it didn't.
    Noisy person

Oh BTW. My favorite feature of the Spektrum 3 and 4 radios is the grip itself. The handle where you hold it is shaped like a pistol. Fits my hand perfectly.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    The FlySky and Tactic radios work well too but I often wonder if we simply don't hear from the guys that have had a real problem. Sorta like "My Yugo always got me where I wanted to go".......................until it didn't.
    You don't hear from the guys that have a real problem... because real problems don't exist with them. LOL

I love my FlySky, and I've told that to you repeatedly...
    In fairness, I've never used anything else. But I've watched several racers with both Spektrum and Futaba have problems on race day, while I've never lost communication. UNLESS my c/f boat turns upside down and it's stuck in wide open throttle. And that's when Terry laughs at me. Even though it's only happened (I think) 3 times. I like to spend my time laughing at the guys dead in water with their f/g boat right side up...

Plus the price is nice at $140 WITH telemetry and you get real time temps on your motor and esc. Nice feature to have when testing different motors and props.
    It is as easy to setup, adjust and customize as an iPhone. Color screen with stylus is nice.
    Oh... and the FlySky comes with two different sized grip pads so you can choose the one that fits your hand best.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...io-orange.html
    Last edited by dethow; 05-19-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    You don't hear from the guys that have a real problem... because real problems don't exist with them. LOL

I love my FlySky, and I've told that to you repeatedly...
    In fairness, I've never used anything else. But I've watched several racers with both Spektrum and Futaba have problems on race day, while I've never lost communication. UNLESS my c/f boat turns upside down and it's stuck in wide open throttle. And that's when Terry laughs at me. Even though it's only happened (I think) 3 times. I like to spend my time laughing at the guys dead in water with their f/g boat right side up...

Plus the price is nice at $140 WITH telemetry and you get real time temps on your motor and esc. Nice feature to have when testing different motors and props.
    It is as easy to setup, adjust and customize as an iPhone. Color screen with stylus is nice.
    Oh... and the FlySky comes with two different sized grip pads so you can choose the one that fits your hand best.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...io-orange.html

Where have you been? Lol

I have a dx4S not the r because I didn't figure I'd need all the features. I love it. It's very light, only 4 aa batteries to power it. The grip is very comfy. I can't think of one complaint as long as you use a good receiver it reaches further than you can see. I'll have range problems on carbon boats if I do a very short antenna out the hull. Here's an example. I need to lengthen my tube by an inch or so. It's been shortened a few times because I keep bending the tubes.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I know that four members of my club ran FlySky radios and had nothing but control issues. Three gave up and the forth still runs his...and often does not finish a race due to lost radio control. The local gas club had four or five member go to SkyFlys for a season, now they have all gone back to Futaba or Spektrum. Oh, sorry, one other club member still uses his FlySky....for his retrieval boat.

I am happy that some folks have good luck and I hope it continues - but from what I have personally repeatedly seen I wouldn't put one in the same truck as my boats.......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

haha Our gang never lets anyone off the hook. If you have an issue we'll have a laugh at your expense. Dave, in your defense I'm pretty sure I held your radio for one reason or another and it doesn't feel like a cheesy thing in the hand. That's the better version with the bells and whistles.

I saw some issues in Phoenix with FlySky but that was a couple seasons ago.

I've seen guys with RX problems with every brand. Accept Tactic. Those always seem to stay linked best I can tell but no danged features on those at all. When I have an RX go bad it's always for the same reason. Abuse. The Spektrums are pretty water tolerant but repeated drenching without proper drying and they'll croak eventually.
    Noisy person

The Spektrums are pretty water tolerant but repeated drenching without proper drying and they'll croak eventually.
    I think these ones have been released to deal with that as well... pretty much totally potted in:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMMR4000

SPMMR4000-450.jpg

haha Our gang never lets anyone off the hook. If you have an issue we'll have a laugh at your expense. Dave, in your defense I'm pretty sure I held your radio for one reason or another and it doesn't feel like a cheesy thing in the hand. That's the better version with the bells and whistles.

I saw some issues in Phoenix with FlySky but that was a couple seasons ago.
    Yeah... most of the FlySky radios are on the cheaper end, being $25 to $55. I can understand and agree that Tactic is probably the best low cost radio. But once you start spending over $100, I feel the FlySky FS-iT4 is a good choice. I've had great luck with it.

Fluid says that several club members have tried FlySky and had control issues.... I wonder if those were the cheaper radios???

As far as water issues... I keep my receivers and telemetry modules in the Traxxas water resistant boxes. Worth the $11.59 from OSE.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3628

And I added a small waterproof switch to mine so I can flip the switch and have it in bind mode without having to open the box.
    DSC00001.jpg
    Have fun with that....

Darin, all those dangling plugs. Ugh

Do you know if that is going to work with the 3R?
    Noisy person

Darin, all those dangling plugs. Ugh

Do you know if that is going to work with the 3R?
    Probably, but not with the range that the MR-series have... For DX3R/S/C stuff, I'd stick with the MR receivers.

And I added a small waterproof switch to mine so I can flip the switch and have it in bind mode without having to open the box.
    DSC00001.jpg
    I have those in my trucks, but for racing boats, it's a total pain to work with if you are in the heat of the event and have to access the RX for some reason.

Probably a decent idea for sport boating though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I have those in my trucks, but for racing boats, it's a total pain to work with if you are in the heat of the event and have to access the RX for some reason.

Probably a decent idea for sport boating though.
    Ummm.... I've never had to access mine. My FlySkys stay binded... and I'd never had to replace a bad one out. Do your Speckrums have issues there???

Like I said, I put a small switch on the side of the box that allows me to bind without opening the box, but I've never had to use it during a race event.
    The switch is mostly there incase something happens to my transmitter and I have to bind to my back-up transmitter. Again... never had to do it, but you never know when I may drop it in the water or simply break it somehow. I'd say throwing it... But I don't have a bad temper like I've seen some others have.

Oh... and I put small extensions from the actual RX to the exterior of the box, so if I have to change out a servo or esc I can just plug in/out, again without opening the box.
    Have fun with that....

So far for me the sr210 has been the BEST receiver by far. I have a bag of defective mr series receivers both versions. I was gonna send them back to spektrum one day but I've just been lazy and swapping over to the sr210. I just got one of those sr2000 dsmr receivers in yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Do your Speckrums have issues there???

L
    No, they don't... But they also keep working even if they get wet...

No, they don't... But they also keep working even if they get wet...
    Then why do I hear Spektrum users blame water issues when they loose contact???

Just saying a $12 box may be able to help.... And I can do anything from the outside of my box, I can do from the inside. Except change the actual RX out. And if one is having to change out their RX all the time then maybe they are not using what I would consider to be a dependable radio system.
    Last edited by dethow; 05-19-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Have fun with that....

Just to throw one in there, I use a HK GT2b on 3-4 boats. Never has a problem. I waterproof the recievers. It has just been a really reliable radio and in my petrol offshore boat we run races up to an hour long. If only I could do an hour straight without messing something up and getting rescued!!
    How ever the downside of the GT2b radio is it is really basic with no model memories so I have to get rudders set up well so I don't have to remember the trim setting. I am however looking to upgrade at some point in the future.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Dethow, I'm happy you are happy with your radio. More power to you. I'm not going to drag out an argument here, and you'll almost never hear me try to convince anyone that something I like is better/worse than something others might like. I simply report what I know about what I've used and let you decide.

I have no idea what you are hearing, but I've been using Spektrum for over 10-years and haven't had any issues. That's all I can speak too. I'll let others speak for themselves, but I think you'll hear much the same.

As for using that box. It's fine. Use it. I don't need nor want one. Just added weight for my setups, and added complexity when I need to switch setups or ??? during a race-day. My setups almost NEVER get wet in the first place. If they do get wet, it's because someone crashed me and tore up my hull.

Dethow, I'm happy you are happy with your radio. More power to you. I'm not going to drag out an argument here... I simply report what I know about what I've used and let you decide.
    Dang, Darin... I'm not trying to have an argument with you.

You say you report what you know... and you have reported that waterproof boxes are a pain to deal with in boats. I'm just saying they are not unless you are actually having to change out your RX all the time. And that's what I know...

And as far as what others are saying... I don't have to just hear it. I see it.
    Hell, Terry's son lost radio at our last race because a water line blew off and the RX got wet.

I get that a box would be a pain without the switch and extensions..., but is it that hard for you to say someone has a good idea without turning it all into an argument. I'm happy you are happy and happy your radios work when they get wet. But that's NOT what most RC boaters experience.
    Have fun with that....

but is it that hard for you to say someone has a good idea without turning it all into an argument.
    YES, It's VERY HARD! I.... MUST.... ARGUE!!!

Hahahaha... Sorry... sometimes trying to type concise thoughts on a forum makes it sound like I'm being argumentative... not my intent. Please forgive.

But that's NOT what most RC boaters experience.
    Using words like "most" when we all have a limited view of the hobby isn't fair. About 80% of our 35+ member club use Spektrum and rarely have issues. When people do, it's usually because the wire connection posts have gotten corroded, not because of an actual internal error.

As for the Box... I add the extensions to them in my Trucks as well. It is a good idea, just not one that I, personally speaking, feel I need to employ.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I have a bag of defective mr series receivers both versions. I was gonna send them back to spektrum one day but I've just been lazy and swapping over to the sr210.
    Why do you have a bag of defective mr series receivers? What happened to them?
    You should talk to Darin. Apparently he hasn't had any issues in ten years and his even work if they get wet.

And I say that with a smile, Darin... Let's move on

But to be fair... I still feel MOST is accurate when we start discussing water and an RX. No matter what brand the RX is. That's why they sell these boxes, some people put them in balloons, while other find other ways of waterproofing the best they can.
    Have fun with that....

Maybe I should go to that too Dave. I tend to never own enough RX's for the number of boats I own. If I had the little extensions sticking out it wouldn't matter. Eezy breezy to move them. I could even run the bind plug out that way. hmmmmm

I wonder some times if the fact that the Spektrums are supposed to be "water resistant" makes us take that for granted. Ultimately the little prongs that make up the plugs will get funky if allowed to get wet repeatedly without dealing with the moisture properly after (guilty!).

Dave, Darin has to always be right. hahaha
    Noisy person

The MR series will not work with the new DX4-series of TXs... the new DSM-R TXs are not DSM-Marine compatible.

That's fine... and he usually is. I'm almost sure of it.

In this case, I feel the extra weight is worth it. I see more guys blow their temper over a bad radio connection then anything else.
    Have fun with that....

Maybe I should go to that too Dave. I tend to never own enough RX's for the number of boats I own. If I had the little extensions sticking out it wouldn't matter. Eezy breezy to move them. I could even run the bind plug out that way. hmmmmm

I wonder some times if the fact that the Spektrums are supposed to be "water resistant" makes us take that for granted. Ultimately the little prongs that make up the plugs will get funky if allowed to get wet repeatedly without dealing with the moisture properly after (guilty!).

What I've found is water will puddle at the bottom of the case and contact the soldered pins on the other side that the coating didn't stick to. Then it will act wonky. I put 5 minute epoxy over it. No need for a waterproof box. I use dielectric grease in the plugs and also pack some in the housing to cover the connection pins.

here is the DX4C Darin was talking about TX only
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/371629148309
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Thanks all. I have some thinking to do.. I'll let you know what I get and watch the fallout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast