Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best transmitter?

What about the Futaba 4PLS? Not quite as spendy as the 4PXS, but still feature rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
    No biggie. Im running a hvBEC. Ive tried 5v and 6v output. Ive even run the antenna wire all the way sticking out of the straw. Was using the included receivers though. Customer service told me that 4-500ft is normal due to some government regulations. Futaba is advertising 1200ft. Spectrum is unspecified. Choice is easy. Will keep the ol duffer MX3FG just in case. You can see in my vid the range Im after. Not asking too much. The dx4s made it about 3/4 of that distance and took a bow. Wind blew it back my way. I should be taking the paddleboat with me but yeah.
    Run opto and a small 7.4v lipo and your range will go up. I never run BEC of any kind.

I run a Futaba 4PLS with the T-FHSS reciever and love it.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    Run opto and a small 7.4v lipo and your range will go up. I never run BEC of any kind.

I run a Futaba 4PLS with the T-FHSS reciever and love it.
    Interesting. Im after the same range as the Airtronics with more features. I do have room for a pack at the back if needed. Once reimbursement is made I'll have another decision to make. Thanks again all.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Something must be wrong with your setup. I run my boat in a lake that's 2000ft long. It will reach from one end to the other with me in the middle. I did change my aa batts to high voltage nizn batts which I highly recommend. I should have mentioned that earlier. It really helped. I've had range issues in the past but one reason was the mr series receivers which just didn't work well for me and adding the hv batts. I only use sr210 and 310 receivers now. I like this radio so much I'm chomping at the bit for the new dx6 to be released because I'll be getting one.
    Thanks, the aa bateries is a good idea. My hobby shops Hobbytown USA used to carry them but don't anymore. To the net.

I think they where rated at 1.6 or 1.7v ea. can't remember.

With my Futaba 4PLS I run a 7.4 1300 maH Lipo on the transmitter and a 5 cell Nimh 1600mah pack on receiver and get great distance as far as I can see. The Spectrum receiver that my friends run are able to have the higher voltage of 7.4v. the futaba can not hence why I run the 5 cell Mimh.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I've used Futaba radios almost exclusively all my life.
    The few times I didn't I regretted it.

I'm currently using a Futaba 3PM MX fasst with fail safe in two Pursuits for two seasons with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Spare receivers are however a tad expensive so I house mine in a watertight 1/16" clear coated plywood box with a thin clear plastic lid taped to the top. Receiver is also mounted inside with double sided foam tape to give it some resistance to vibration.

Futaba 4PX is on the way. Picked up a Vorza flux to convert to a basher so figured why not get something that would suit all my models. Bout time anyway. Will let you guys know the results with the boat.

Love this radio. Without having the antenna sticking up in a straw Im able to drive my Vorza buggy out of sight and back. Just got a futaba r614fs fasst receiver for the Zelos twin. Epoxied the board and the seams. Was a little tricky with the internal antenna but all is well. Won't have an idea on range or response until the boat is reinforced and painted But if range is anything like the cheaper receiver in the car then life is good.

I know older thread but I started off with some airtronics and yikes way too short switched to a 3pm-x and a 3prka and they are both are easy 300+ yard radios i run good size lakes and need it. for $70 on the prka thats impressive.
    now looking for a true in-expensive 4 channel for a retrieval boat I am starting on an ebay special with a good radio I am thinking of the 4gwd but need to rummage thru my vintage box and see if I have an old one that works good.
    Last edited by markwithak; 04-22-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    Yeah... most of the FlySky radios are on the cheaper end, being $25 to $55. I can understand and agree that Tactic is probably the best low cost radio. But once you start spending over $100, I feel the FlySky FS-iT4 is a good choice. I've had great luck with it.

Fluid says that several club members have tried FlySky and had control issues.... I wonder if those were the cheaper radios???

As far as water issues... I keep my receivers and telemetry modules in the Traxxas water resistant boxes. Worth the $11.59 from OSE.
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3628

And I added a small waterproof switch to mine so I can flip the switch and have it in bind mode without having to open the box.
    Attachment 143184
    Most Flysky radio issues came from the GT2B not the 3B etc...

I love mine except when inside a steel drivers stand. Of course I'm one of the very few that sit inside a drivers stand while others stand above any Faraday cage effect. Never had a problem without a stand or on a wood stand.

The only boat that got away from me was my Cheetah and I screwed up not cycling power after an esc setting change and re-calibration. Won't do that again.

I'm thinking of going stick now with this Flysky FS-T6 2.4GHz 6CH: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351776442225...AIT&rmvSB=true
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    While I haven’t had much time on my newest Futaba equipment, I think there is some telemetry features that are going provide more insight on what is happening WHILE the boat is running. With regards to boats, I speak specifically on motor temperature.

I recently replace some of my FASST equipment with the newer T-FHSS. I am currently using the 4GRS (stick style) http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk...grs/index.html. Although there are several options for wheel style; I believe the 4PLS is the wheel equivalents to the radio I’ve been testing. http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk...pls/index.html.

I recently set up on of my boats using the temperature sensor on my P-Limited Sport Hydro. With only making one run I learned a lot about what happens to motor temps when the boat is moving vs. being stationary. There have been some theories that motor temps start to lower after a run and you’re walking back to your pit. I don’t necessarily believe that any longer. In this one particular test session the temp was reading 90’ish degress WHILE RUNNING after 4-5 laps. I then brought the boat in and proceeded to walk back to my pit, roughly 30-50 yards away. During that time I watched the temp read out on the transmitter. The temp jumped 15-20 degrees in only a few minutes.

Now, I understand this isn’t the most scientific testing procedure; there is a lot to be gained with these new found features.

You use square drive now I see. Long time?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    With regards to the other comments about Radio Brands vs. Reliability:

No one ever discussed the proper method of mounting, securing, protecting, and isolating a RX in whatever application it may be in. Like Terry stated earlier; many of us (including me) take for granted how well this components hold up to some very rough, violent, wet, and temperature conditions. I think all of us boaters could benefit from a little more attention to isolating and properly mounting (protecting) an RX. I think this plays a big part in a radio being reliable vs. un-reliable.

The terminology “Waterproof”, “Water resistant”, and “Splash proof” all mean different things. Water in general terms water can find its way into the smallest of places. I refuse to accept these little do-dads are really “waterproof”. One thing you can’t deny, you get water on/in your RX it’s another level of risk you need to accept. I do my best to eliminate all water intrusions during NORMAL circumstances regardless of what I am being told by manufactures.

Just my 2 pennies...

Later,
    Ball
    Very good point! Vibration in a boat or two could be causing me an issue.
    Nortavlag Bulc

The 4PLS is what I now use also.
    Some interesting reading in the Futaba manuals.
    The 4PLS - T-FHSS or S-FHSS system has a longer range then the Futaba FASST system.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Terry, what features do you really need or can use in a boat going 50-60mph for 90 seconds. tactic has four features, steering/throttle, manual trim for each, lol
    I run multiple boats on the same tx . can anybody even see past the range of 5-600 ft.
    The Hobby master turned me on to the tactic, I used to run futaba faast system.
    Cheers , Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Very good point! Vibration in a boat or two could be causing me an issue.
    I would say I have a couple of seasons on the square/square set up for P-Limited. The jury is still out if it's a "better" system.

I had a brain fade this weekend and dropped my transmitter off the drivers stand and broke the antenna mounting. It fell about 8 feet on to rocks. I re glued the mounting and it lived threw it. It worked fine the rest of the weekend.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

After using Flysky, Airtronics, Spektrum, and Futaba, I think it's time for a change. I have a boat I'm rebuilding now, another will be here next week that needs to be rigged, and yet one more that will need to be rigged when that one arrives in June. So I figure, three new boats, let's try a new radio system. I think I'm going with this...http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEPYZ&P=ML

Was looking at the Hitec Aggressor series as I don't need all the bells and whistles but considering the Futaba 4PLS too. Right now I've got an older Aggressor 2 channel for my BBY Off Shore 26.
    I've finished my JAE 21 and working on the Cracker box and have the BBY 21 Offshore to build.
    Yesh.....I know It's taken me a long time but I have a lot of other stuff on the board.....planes, gliders, so now I have to consider a new radio, one that I can run several boats. Futaba receivers don't seem to be as expensive as the Spectrum at least for a 3 ch.
    Got lots of time to consider as the lakes are covered in ice.
    I know Randy doesn't have that problem where he lives. LOL.

It seems that Futaba is now bundling their most expensive radio with a T-FHSS receiver ... I always thought T-FHSS has much less range and responsiveness than their "premium" FASST system. So why are they now switching over?
    Last time I used T-FHSS with their overpriced voltage sensor -- the lag made it nearly unusable. It would only refresh telemetry after the boat is within about 20 feet of my transmitter.

I was thinking to ditch my 4PLS with T-FHSS and going for a used 4PK Super or Spektrum DX5R but I'm starting to think it might be a little pointless. Been noticing a lot of FASST radios being in the for sale sections nowadays... switching to Spektrum.

I personally like my spektrums (I say spektrums because I’ve upgraded a few times) but I’ve never used a high end futaba except for one of the older ones. My problem was the weight and bulkiness of the futaba vs spektrum.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Why would you want to change from the 4PLS to the top of the line FASST system if you are worried about range.

The 4PLS has more range then the FASST system.
    These numbers are right out of the manuals.
    Range
    4PLS - 100 meters
    3PMX - 80 meters

Looks like the 4PLS beats it by over 60 feet.

Larry

I'm actually comparing Futaba 4PLS and the Futaba 4PK Super.

Theres an interesting thread about radio response comparisons.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-e...results-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    I'm actually comparing Futaba 4PLS and the Futaba 4PK Super.
    Dmitry

From what I can find FASST systems are 80 meters until you step up to the 7PX radio ( 100 meters)

The receiver distance for all Telemetry communications for all radio models is only 10 meters.
    Telemetry can only be used in the T-FHSS mode on any radio.

Larry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123