Thread: UL-1 Rant...

Default UL-1 Rant...

A little UL1 Rant…

Got my Orange UL1 This week. I have to admit, I was kind of surprised at what I would call the lack of quality control.

A few things…
    Both mirrors and exhaust headers were floating around in the box. Screw holes were stripped. Had to glue them back in place. Not a huge deal, but still.

Second, the steering rudder arm was at 20 degrees forward, as you can see in the pic. I didn’t realize it until my first run. The arm was hitting the mounting hardware and I was only getting about 20 % steering to the right. Had to pull it all apart, and realign the steering arm. It’s a real pita to move that arm, loosened all 3 set screws, and still had a bear of a time aligning it, but got it done.

How it came:

The canopy cover is essentially flat, so, if anything is sticking up above the electronics/battery tray, the canopy will not lay flat. Battery wires and cooling lines were pointing up, well above the top of the tray. I turned the motor 180 degrees so the wires are on the opposite side of the cooling lines. Then, ran the cooling lines and wires through the motor bracket, to keep them below the top of the tray, so the canopy/cover will lay flat. I also flipped the ESC around to have longer wires coming out the front, to reach the battery wires.

How it sits now:

A few screws on the steering/mounting hardware were lose, real lose. I also had mis-matched screws on the rudder bracket!! The 2 in the mounting brack!
    These are the screws it came with! wtf?

Prop shaft was bone dry. Of course I tightened everything and fully greased it before it ever hit the water.

First run, ran pretty well, used about 1/4charge. Maybe 2 min.

Second run, prop shaft snaps after one blip of the throttle!! just in front of the dog. I left about 3/16ths between the dog and mount.

I’ve got 2 other Proboats, Recoil 26 and Geico 3V. I have to say quality, set up out of the box on both these boats was flawless! Literally, drop batteries in and run the hell out of them with no issues.

Rant over. Already ordered an upgraded shaft from OSE and new prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
    A little UL1 Rant…

Got my Orange UL1 This week. I have to admit, I was kind of surprised at what I would call the lack of quality control.

A few things…
    Both mirrors and exhaust headers were floating around in the box. Screw holes were stripped. Had to glue them back in place. Not a huge deal, but still.

Second, the steering rudder arm was at 20 degrees forward, as you can see in the pic. I didn’t realize it until my first run. The arm was hitting the mounting hardware and I was only getting about 20 % steering to the right. Had to pull it all apart, and realign the steering arm. It’s a real pita to move that arm, loosened all 3 set screws, and still had a bear of a time aligning it, but got it done.

How it came:

The canopy cover is essentially flat, so, if anything is sticking up above the electronics/battery tray, the canopy will not lay flat. Battery wires and cooling lines were pointing up, well above the top of the tray. I turned the motor 180 degrees so the wires are on the opposite side of the cooling lines. Then, ran the cooling lines and wires through the motor bracket, to keep them below the top of the tray, so the canopy/cover will lay flat. I also flipped the ESC around to have longer wires coming out the front, to reach the battery wires.

How it sits now:

A few screws on the steering/mounting hardware were lose, real lose. I also had mis-matched screws on the rudder bracket!! The 2 in the mounting brack!
    These are the screws it came with! wtf?

Prop shaft was bone dry. Of course I tightened everything and fully greased it before it ever hit the water.

First run, ran pretty well, used about 1/4charge. Maybe 2 min.

Second run, prop shaft snaps after one blip of the throttle!! just in front of the dog. I left about 3/16ths between the dog and mount.

I’ve got 2 other Proboats, Recoil 26 and Geico 3V. I have to say quality, set up out of the box on both these boats was flawless! Literally, drop batteries in and run the hell out of them with no issues.

Rant over. Already ordered an upgraded shaft from OSE and new prop.
    Nothing new....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The nut and bolt on the bottom is the break away bolt.I believe it is made of softer metal and designed to break and the rudder tilts up when you come in contact with something.