Thread: Impulse 17 hopped up, discussion/advice appreciated!

Default Impulse 17 hopped up, discussion/advice appreciated!

I started RC boating when the ice melted here in Minnesota and since then ive hopped up my Impulse 17 a bit to make it more fun. And now im trying to decide if the boat is worth spending a little more money on or if there isnt much more to get out of the hull. Either way there will be more boats in my future. Its currently running stock hardware with an upgraded water pickup, stock driveshaft and stuffing tube, a Leopard 2845 3540 kv Y wind and Turnigy 60A esc, spinning an Octura 531 plastic currently. Its an honest high 20s boat as it sits which looks pretty darn quick for its size. But it does hop a lot when the pack is at peak and its always been a bit of a wide turning boat. The COG is approx. 2/5ths OAL forward of transom and i cant move it any further back, the battery bay is tight. So im thinking turn fins might help add some drag in the back and stability as well. Would a turn fin only on the port side help tighten up those left hand turns a bit? I can gain more power with lipos but right now im in need of stability, let me know what you guys think!

I put a brushless Overlander Tornado Thumper V3 2826/09 1900KV in mine aiming for both a performance boost and improved run time. It's currently running 3 cells LiPo 1300mAH and initially the original prop. ESC came out of a Joysway Sea Drifter (I have one and they are cheap from a local supplier). Having bolted it together it and opted to stick with the original shaft I have to say the handling was as rotten as I'd been led to expect, but.... I had a happy accident. The boat got run down by a club member that had become unsighted which resulted in a change of screw and slightly lengthened brass cooling pick up being fitted. The screw I run now is a 36mm (1.4 pitch I think) screw scavenged from a Joysway Sea Drifter spares bag.... The rudder and it's position is standard.

I've not recorded high temperatures on the motor, an outrunner, and have made no cooling provision. It's run pleasantly warm on a cool day and no more. The cooling water goes to the speed control and out of the original exit.

Here's the thing... it's settled down lots, it does still hop a little, but it's miles better and more stable in the turns.

To be honest, I don't see the point adding more power because it's reliable since completing the last mods and handles reasonably enough that the only time it's inverted in the last 6 months was a result of me fumbling launching it. Run times when I tested it easily exceed the those of the Nimh cells running a standard power system at without any worrying temperature anywhere and a 6 minute run has never troubled my low voltage alarm.