Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New traxxas cat

Chine walking is more of a V-bottom issue were they rock side to side at high speed. I'm guessing with your catamaran hull you are experiencing a porpous (bouncing up and down) which is common with cats. CG and strut height/angle adjustments will help take care of porpous, you just have to find that sweet spot and the boat should settle down! Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I've never seen/experienced a cat chine walking, but I'll make a guess that's it's dancing back and forth? Here's my guesses as to why:
    Boat is overall too light? I'd say if there's not enough mass to it compared to the size, it may handle oddly. A bandaide fix to this would be add a small amount of weight or use bigger batteries.

Slack in the rudder? If you have any slack (and especially a decent amount) it could cause it to handle funny. I had a 34" mono that would run over 90mph but would never go past 70 until I removed all the slack from the steering.

Trim tabs. I know this is a cat but I saw trim tabs in the pic. Real cats have trim tabs but on models it's not common practice to put trim tabs on. Actually it's frowned upon. Not sure why as it seems a fast cat may be able to go even faster with it by making the hull "longer". But anyway, if you have them adjusted down too much I'd guess that could make it dance.

Strut position. Is the pro angled down, neutral or up? I'd recommend (just an edujamacated guess lol) putting it at neutral to begin with. If it blows over then adjust the tabs down a tad till it stops blowing over. If it's running too wet and the tabs are up or neutral then give some positive on the strut.

Try moving battery position to see what it does.

Prop. Maybe the prop doesn't suit the hull. Is the prop sharp? It should be.

Neutral: in line with the bottom surfaces of the boat
    Positive: pointing up (exaggerated because it won't be pointing up but just a tab)
    Negative: same as above except the prop facing more so downward. Or trim tabs. Same difference

Thanks so much for the info. The boat is rocking back and forth on the ride pads, and it becomes more violent as speed increases. It was not doing it at first, but now it is. I think perhaps the batteries were moving around a little, and maybe causing it. I have since spent a few hours trying to get them secure. The velcro system in the boat is terrible. I have not run it since this change, but I am hoping it helps. I will try what you have suggested.

That strut is neutral. I added some RC Boat Bitz trim tabe to more surface area and adjustability. I also do not know why these are frowned upon on cats. Will report back after next run.

subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by lavigna View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. The boat is rocking back and forth on the ride pads, and it becomes more violent as speed increases. It was not doing it at first, but now it is. I think perhaps the batteries were moving around a little, and maybe causing it. I have since spent a few hours trying to get them secure. The velcro system in the boat is terrible. I have not run it since this change, but I am hoping it helps. I will try what you have suggested.

That strut is neutral. I added some RC Boat Bitz trim tabe to more surface area and adjustability. I also do not know why these are frowned upon on cats. Will report back after next run.
    Have you run it again ??

IMG_3037.jpg This is one of the wraps we did for customer of M41 # 3 it looks great but I would be afraid to use it. I have been enjoying running mine, running almost 4 degrees of negative trim. Letting the prop drive the bow down and air hold it up. 53 mph so far.

I have one and I split the hull first time out. I was using the leopard 4082/1600kv ,180 amp esc , octura x445.
    The boat was " impossible " without the trim tabs.
    No gps , but possibly mid 50s w/tabs.

I know many of you aren't big fans of this boat, buy I just got the snap on version and wanted to show it off a little....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks much better than the 80's graphic version.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That Snap On version look WAY better than the Traxxas graphics!! I like that silver/black wrapped one too! I bet Traxxas would sell a lot more of them if they would offer a different graphics option, make them look like one of DCB's actual boats! I saw this one shown during the Barrett-Jackson Auction in January, i might fork out the $500 or so for one of they came like that!!
    IMG_2477.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12