Thread: Upgrade props for Zelos 36 Cat ? Improved cooling?

Default Upgrade props for Zelos 36 Cat ? Improved cooling?

Looking for ideas on upgraded props on the Zelos 36. Also wondering if anyone else has noticed that the bottom
    pickups do not move a lot of water thru the cooling system. I found that three of the four tubes on my ESCs were
    partially clogged and had to be drilled out. I am now running a three point intake system and using four outlets.
    This is Florida so a lot of water is needed.

Do you have any photos of the three point intake system?
    What does Florida have to do with the cooling? I'm confused.
    I'm curious about the props too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Sorry about the delay but here goes - I have no photos at present but I used a section of 3/16ths square brass tubing held on to the flat rear section of the rudder with JB Weld. I soldered a piece of brass tubing across the
    top forming a "T" - the two water lines from here go in and cool the two motors - the outputs are vertical so when running I can see both outputs as geysers about 8-10 inches in the air above the hull. This leaves the two
    under hull pickups - each one of these cools one esc - this has been working out very well - temps are great. Another advantage of this is that the additional flat surface (on the rudder) makes for a bit more rudder authority......

What does Florida have to do with it? The key here is water temps in the ponds we run in sometimes getting to 90 degrees - a guy with a boat running in Michigan or Maine or anywhere North does not have to deal with
    anything near this - it does make a difference!

Hello MikeP323 - I have a similar concern as you. I have a Zelos 36 in Manila, Philippines. Fantastic boat right out of the box, really pleased with it. However, we are also in a hot and humid climate, and added to that the lakes here are dirty so we have silt in the water. I noticed on my first outing with the boat that the water exiting the side of the hulls was a bit intermittent. I also see that Proboat have gone for the water intake through the rudder so curious to know why they chose the intakes through the bottom of the pontoons for the 36?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Mini40man View Post
    Hello MikeP323 - I have a similar concern as you. I have a Zelos 36 in Manila, Philippines. Fantastic boat right out of the box, really pleased with it. However, we are also in a hot and humid climate, and added to that the lakes here are dirty so we have silt in the water. I noticed on my first outing with the boat that the water exiting the side of the hulls was a bit intermittent. I also see that Proboat have gone for the water intake through the rudder so curious to know why they chose the intakes through the bottom of the pontoons for the 36?

Ian
    Anyone have an update on this post interested in upgraded cooling mods...?

Plenty of us beat on the stock electronics in the Zelos which puts a good load on them. Heat really isn't a concern when you've got the boat setup right and are using quality batteries with appropriately sized props. You can use a round file to file a teardrop shape into the hull directly in front of each water inlet. Also use a hobby knife or small screw driver to clear off any paint on the brass inlets themselves. You can use a larger inner diameter silicone tubing to plumb the inside of the boat, usually about 4mm. I've drilled out the water inlets and outlers on my boat with one size larger drill bit. I've done that same thing to the hose barbs on the stock 120A ESC, but they're thin walled to begin with and more often than not, you'll drill through the side of the barb and destroy it. I've replaced most of mine with thicker brass barbs. Re-clock your water jackets so that the higher water outlets (the ones clower to the bow) are as close to the 12:00 position as possible which will allow the jacket to fill with more water.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)