Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10 cells and a Castle Creations motor

so it sounds like your on the right path keep at it when you get it you will have a big smile !

I got the old stuff out on Sunday and got my parts today. Got to love O.S.E.

So this is the seal/oiler I picked up .
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=aero-sts-250

I got a 11/32" brass tube .
    And I got a 5?16" brass tube as well.
    I cut them to length and put a gentle bend in the big tube.
    Then I took the smaller tube and tinned the first inch on the outside with silver solder and put it inside the large tube and soldered the end together so I could run it with no stuffing tube for now to see how it goes.
    The epoxy is setting now and I am leaving it alone..
    That's all for today..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

This will be the last post on this one. I screwed the pooch today at the pond. The boat and or the driver can't seem to handle the sick speeds this motor and battery combo will produce . It is just too unstable and maybe my ponds are too small for it anyway I was ready to leave today and someone decided a three blade would fix some of the tracking issues . The boat pushed hard right and leaned right to the right something fierce . I tried to give some trim tab but this made it way unstable .
    I was ready to pack it up but I put a three blade on it and as we were talking I neglected to tape the hatch . My fault for sure and I paid for it . The boat was fine but you couldn't give it but maybe half throttle any more and it tries to come out of the water . I know it just needed adjustments but I am in over my head with these speeds.
    Anyway the boat flipped violently and ripped the hatch off and the back end sank into the water as I watched my 300 amp esc go up in a couple of puffs of smoke I realize I am just not ready for this speed with this boat.
    Anyway I am not buying another $300. + speed control so I give up on this on 10 cells .
    Thanks for all the help . I have a few other boats I wll concentrate on for now but I think I will go with two strokes for my big boat fix.
    Mark
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

Cool

I am sorry for your loss, and can understand your frustration. Good luck with your smaller FE boats and the big gas mono.

For any other new FE boaters - IME the worst thing you can do is to have some gas boaters "help" you set up your FE boat. Well-intentioned they may be, but most have no idea what it takes to make an FE boat work.

Twice I have seen disaster resulting from their "help". One was a club member who bought a big 10S mono which was already set up and running great, topping out in the low 70s, very stable and turned great. Sadly, he started talking to some experienced gas boaters who told him how to "fix" his boat. He followed their advice (different prop, refinished the bottom, changed trim tab and stinger settings - and for the next year he struggled with the boat. He experienced poor speed, terrible handling, etc. and his enjoyment of the mono was....limited. I even drove the boat for him at a gas race in Open Mono class and it was almost undriveable. He finally sold it to one of the other club members, who undid all the "gas fixes" and then the boat ran great again.

This is not to dis any gas boaters, I know plenty and some are good friends. It is just that what works on a gas boat often does not work on an FE, just saying.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Jay, that is an interesting topic you bring up. Would you care to speculate what the difference might be? Higher RPM and smaller prop would be the obvious fundamental difference I guess. Do the higher speeds come into play as well?

The 2028 on 8 cells pulls RPMs more inline with a gas motor. I wonder if you could then set them up more similar and be successful?

Cool

Some differences are rpm (more requiring a smaller prop), torque (instant), weight (much higher), speed (often higher), run time (lower), heat management (not as good) and waterproofing. There may be more but those would be the most common.

The 2028 on 8S works well, closer to gas power so that similar props might work fine (but that instant torque can upset the boat), but weight still remains higher. For similar performance the 8S setup pulls 20% more amps than 10S does, so heat is higher and run times are shorter. And some tweaks the gas guys love just don't make sense to me.

The sad part about the story in my post above is that the boat ran awesome before the owner fiddled with it, and he would not listen to experienced 10S boat racers, just the gas guys. So for almost two years he just did not enjoy the boat nearly as much as he did the first time he drive it....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thats not completely true . I did listen and I did take advice to get the right prop . There were no other instructions. I didnt use a square drive or put a collar in front of the strut . I simply put the strut on as it was a bit cheaper than another stinger . The lengths were the same . I did rework the bottom of the boat but that was not anyones recommendation I was on my own . I accepted all responiblility for the disaster Sunday. I think the boat is just not heavy enough or set up well enough for 10cells . I am not giving up on the whole boat just the ten cells for now . I have a 180 esc If that will work with 6cell batteries I will try that. If I mislead anyone I am sorry . I never asked for help from the gas guys I only obseved what they had and I looked at the couple of fast electric guys that did show up one sunday so I did not ignore anyones advice . I can take a picture of the strut set up if you would like .
    Mainly I was upset with myself for not taping the canopy on and for burning up a very expensive speed control .
    I had not even played with it for those two years. And it ran pretty good before just seemed to need a bigger prop . I am trying to follow but without anyone near me running when I do it is a bit hard to start that fast .

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Now I am confused. You cannot fit a 45mm prop on a 1/4" shaft - so what do you have?

To use the 3/16" bored props (the most suitable for you), get this: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1290

Your motor and hull will need a minimum prop diameter of 55mm and even that is on the small side. Don't worry so much about pitch right now, get props with a 1.4 pitch ratio to start (means diameter x 1.4 = pitch). You have been given several suggestions between 57mm and 65mm. For your first try an easy to find prop is the x457/2. It is large enough to load your motor, give good speed and decent run times. Realize that decent run times with your setup will depend on the packs you have - most use a minimum of 6500 mAh and most go to 10,000 mAh. This capacity eases the strain on the ESC and lets you run longer. But regardless, you need to check the motor, ESC and pack temps carefully every time you put on a new prop. Pull the boat in after two minutes and check the temps (use a timer!). If the temps are below 120*F and the packs have at least 50% left, then try another minute. You are trying to determine how long you can run safely with the setup. Once you have an idea of how your boat handles that prop, you can go up in size. If you start too large and burn up your equipment, you will not be happy.

I did all of this . I bought the flex cable you recommended and I had Dasbota fix up the same prop you recommended as did he.
    I am not offended by your reply I am listening and following I just added the shaft oiler to the mix on my own . The new drive line and collet held the load but the boat did not. I am only running two five cell packs so the weight was not enough in my opinion.
    I'm still listening I just can't afford to throw much more money at this project.

Mark,

Haha he wasn't referring to you! He was talking about the guy in his post.

Your doing great, don't get to discouraged because $hit happens to all of one time or another. Just have fun whatever you do!

Hey mark.. This is Ray.. I think we met at pind.. If you need any help let me know.. And fluid.. Don't talk bad about the gas guys here as I am one of them..as is Jim Osborne.. Prob more knowledgable than anyone I know when it comes to boats.. Gas nitro or fe..anyways back to mark.. Let me know if u need help.. As to ur boat.. I'm sure we can get it running

Thanks but I tried the speed control and am putting it aside for now. I got in over my head. I will play with my other boats and toys for now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12