Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 cells and a Castle Creations motor

Default 10 cells and a Castle Creations motor

https://youtu.be/TckWXF0hX8o?list=ULTckWXF0hX8o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp24A5BEHlo

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...eations+Motors

Here are a couple of quick videos of the boat I have been working on . I have pictures on the show off your boat forum.
    Mark
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

10 cells really ? ESC are you using

10 cells really ? ESC are you using? I don't want to burst your bubble but that boat should be 25-30 MPH faster sound like you have some serious drag problems ?

Nice rebuild! That motor runs great on 10 cells, several club members run them in their T-Class race monos, usually in the 70s. It seems a bit slow and the rpm seems high - what prop are you running?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

This was the second time it was in the water . I have not had time to fix it till now. I have not run it yet with the new ESC . No buble to burst here . I will sort it out soon .
    The new ESC is a 300 amp Fighter cat . As for the prop I have not tried another yet but I will . It seems a bit small but it was on it when I got it .
    I am open to suggestions on the prop .
    I have some pictures in the picture section of show off your boat. I am still learning .
    The second ESC went up in smoke . Then it sat for two years .
    Don't forget to put your brain in gear before you engage your mouth! Thanks Dad!

The prop measures 1.705 so 43MM it seems not sure the pitch .

I am learning so I posted this and am open to opinions and suggestions or ridecule I don't care I am all ears..

No one is born knowing everything about FE boats. The prop you are using explains the poor speed and high rpm....it is WAY too small for the boat and power setup. That motor and ESC will handle an x457, x462 and larger with no problem - depending on your packs of course. The tiny prop may also explain why the ESC fried - over-revving a BL motor is hard on the ESC.

Awesome. That's what these boards are about. I tried to find people here in Chandler to learn from. A lot of gas boats and some electric. I will get another prop or two today.
    And yes the boat had a lot of drag on it due to a bull that was crap. I put a straightest on the bottom and that's when I tore it all apart and rebuilt it. I appreciate the help. I will get new video as soon as I can.

I have one in a 41in cat and it's at the 70mph mark. I'm using a cut down 6516/3.

So you cut the diameter down? To what if I might ask?

I'm sorry I misread the calipers the prop that was in the video was an X445. Still small but not as bad. I found a bigger one from an old nitro boat I used to have it is a 48.5 ish dia. It says PRB80155. Maybe that will work for now if I cup it some?? I will have to look that up to see what it is. Thanks for the help guys.
    Mark

That prop is a PRB0155. Diameter is 1.9"/48 mm, pitch is 3". This is still very small in diameter for that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by tryinotocrash View Post
    So you cut the diameter down? To what if I might ask?
    Its cut down to 3.5" overall pitch. The one I have was done by Prop Works West, but he's not doing props anymore. Chris (Dasboata) would be a good source for one. A mono is gonna take a different prop though, again get with Chris and I'm sure he can get you close.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Its cut down to 3.5" overall pitch. The one I have was done by Prop Works West, but he's not doing props anymore. Chris (Dasboata) would be a good source for one. A mono is gonna take a different prop though, again get with Chris and I'm sure he can get you close.
    thanks Oscar !!!

So the confusion continues . I have a .250 drive shaft and there seems to be a lot of .187 props for electric but huge props for .250 shaft. Unless I go to a gas boat prop selection which I have no problem with but I can't seem to just figure out a diameter to start with. I kind of get the whole pitch part but I can't tell what dia. some of the props listed are to get a good starting point. 55MM? 60MM? 65MM? 70MM? where to start?
    Mark

Cool

Now I am confused. You cannot fit a 45mm prop on a 1/4" shaft - so what do you have?

To use the 3/16" bored props (the most suitable for you), get this: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1290

Your motor and hull will need a minimum prop diameter of 55mm and even that is on the small side. Don't worry so much about pitch right now, get props with a 1.4 pitch ratio to start (means diameter x 1.4 = pitch). You have been given several suggestions between 57mm and 65mm. For your first try an easy to find prop is the x457/2. It is large enough to load your motor, give good speed and decent run times. Realize that decent run times with your setup will depend on the packs you have - most use a minimum of 6500 mAh and most go to 10,000 mAh. This capacity eases the strain on the ESC and lets you run longer. But regardless, you need to check the motor, ESC and pack temps carefully every time you put on a new prop. Pull the boat in after two minutes and check the temps (use a timer!). If the temps are below 120*F and the packs have at least 50% left, then try another minute. You are trying to determine how long you can run safely with the setup. Once you have an idea of how your boat handles that prop, you can go up in size. If you start too large and burn up your equipment, you will not be happy.

And once again I am wrong and I apolagize to everyone here I keep assuming instead of checking with calipers . I am feeling stupid right now as I have led everyone on a goose chase . Please hang in there I am not really as dumb as I seem. :-)
    I should never assume and post . I guess I have to change out my sig line as I must be loosing my mind ..
    Last edited by tryinotocrash; 05-07-2016 at 03:58 PM.

No one here thinks you, or anyone else, is "dumb". All of us make mistakes and wrong assumptions. What can we do to help?

You did help but when I went looking at props I was thinking it was a .250 shaft and couldn't find anything I was looking for. I got it now. Thanks for hanging in there.

Default Well the Post Office came with a present

Fresh off the boat or fresh from the boatman.
    So I took the advice and got a prop from Dasbota for this boat.
    I have some fresh Packs of never run batteries Just came last week .
    X457 sharpened and balanced.
    I will try to get someone to video with my phone this weekend..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dude if you are going from a 445 to a 457 you will be in for a treat. You better hold on to your hat!

Make a short run of maybe a minute or so and bring it in to make sure all is well. Good luck, can't wait to see the video!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
    Dude if you are going from a 445 to a 457 you will be in for a treat. You better hold on to your hat!

Make a short run of maybe a minute or so and bring it in to make sure all is well. Good luck, can't wait to see the video!
    Yeah I plan to keep an eye on the temps and such . I have my temp gun ready . This should be a fun weekend .
    Stay tuned should be fun to see a cheap hull with pricey guts move out . If it runs good I will need to do some more carbon inside on the top as it is flimsy up front on the top.

Well unless you want to see my boat floating upside down I will spare you the first video.

First run if you want to call it that was me fat fingering the trigger and the boat leaping out of the water and landing on it's top side.
    So anyway the prop has some serious bite....

I retrieved it with the tennis ball and fishing reel and reset the GPS.

Next run I eased into it gently and got out to the middle of the pond and pulled the trigger and it sppun out of the collet and took out the front inch or so of my stuffing tube and bent the snot out of the flex shaft , the good news is I didn't loose my shaft with my spiffy new prop .

There were a lot of boaters showed up today so I soaked up some knowledge and played with my SV27 and my Venom Segad some. Seemed to not be my day with boats as I hit something in the water at full throttle with my SV on 4s it must have caught the rudder since it just nose dived under water and didn't come up for what seemed like 10 seconds .
    The good news is it came back up and had no damage so I'm guessing I hit a fish or something soft as there was no damage.
    Back to the tennis ball for retrival..

So the next step here for the 10S will be a 1/4" shaft down to a 3/16" and a new stinger to beef up the drive shaft , OH and a new collet too.
    I guess thinking it would be good the first time out doesn't always happen but I will not be deterred and when I sign off of this post I'm going shopping for some beefier parts.
    I'll be back by the weekend I hope ..
    Mark

Sorry for the bad luck, but most of us have been there. I didn't realize you weren't using 1/4" on that motor as it's necessary. If you want a good collet, zipkitts has one and that's what I use.

Thanks I just ordered one here from OSE and it is supposed to be a good one made in USA . I also got the stepped shaft so I could run .1875 props. I also goat a strut to replace the stinger . The thought here is to copy from some gas guys who run a shaft saver or something similar in front of the strut at the back of the hull so if the flex goes my new $$$ prop stays put.
    This is a long strut so it will be about the same length as what I had.

Hit me with thoughts..

where is the shaft saver going? I run gas as well and haven't seen anything other than by collet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Between the strut and the transom. I may. Eed to machine some material off the front of the strut. This keeps the prop and shaft on the boat if the flex gives out or the joint flex to stub shaft..

Wow cell phone spelling is weak..

I would recommend against using the saver you mentioned. This is the old "square cable drive" solution and is seldom used today, largely because it is a pain to remove the cable for maintenance and greasing between runs. It is very rare to have a 1/4" cable break in FE boats. It is better to use the cable saver inside the boat up against the collet as Oscar mentioned.

Last edited by Fluid; 05-16-2016 at 10:26 AM.

Yes that's correct about the square drive. I also purchased a sealing devise with an oil or grease fitting. At work now or I would link it. I see the grease issue trying to slide the collar over greased shaft would be bad yes.
    I will see when all the parts show up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast