Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Boat Formula Fastech Jet Drive Project

Hi Jesse;
    "Great video! looks like fun! was that full throttle? I was thinking of putting in a sc 700 or like you say XL brushless. I will be watching for more videos under bl power!"
    Some of it was full throttle, it is a lot of fun, remember to keep the boat up stream so if it dies or turns turtle you can catch it.

---"How is that hull? would it be worth laying down some good sturdy fg before construction? Do you have any shots of the transom? How do you mount up that jet?
    --- YES it would be worth a layer of glass or carbonfiber on the inside. Not just the bottom, the strakes make the bottom very strong. I have a couple of major cracks in the sides of the hull. Study the instructions for the Jet, drilling that huge hole in the transom is a major move. Both of the heavy gray plastic pieces go on from the outside then the white water duct goes on the inside. So cut and fit the housing and nozzle(gray parts) before cutting the hole in the bottom of the boat.

Leave the Vee hull alone ! The less boat in the water the better. A big flat pad is just drag.
    Viking
    That Viking www.How2RC.com PULSO
    Home made 36" DeepVee 50mph

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Leave the Vee hull alone ! The less boat in the water the better. A big flat pad is just drag.
    Viking
    I would have to disagree. Not only would that be wrong, the flat pad makes it easier to marry the jet drive to the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Tips & Info
    The Shallow Vee has a much flatter bottom which when at full speed has less of the hull touch the water. This make the Shallow Vee faster. But the Shallow Vees tend to slide around corners, instead of carving the turn. Below is a picture of a transom with much less angle.
    If a flatter v is faster than a deep v, then a flat spot should be "less" drag.

Source
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Default Flat Spot

Hey Diego;
    You are quite correct the flat spot would make it easier to install the jet.
    The shallow Vee is faster than a Deep Vee with a prop for the simple reason that it is easier to keep the hull out of the water.Less drag.
    With a Jet boat if the hull is out of the water, it is not picking up water and so there is no thrust. A Jet can't be aired out like a prop boat the Jet intake and so some of the hull Must be in the water to maintain thrust.
    No, Yes, Maybe???
    Viking

True, but lets take a look at surface area for just a moment.
    Look at the picture... I'm no math genius, but I see less hull in the water. take that number and multiply by the length of the hull, I see a huge amount of difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I am on Diego's boat on this one. Also, flat bottoms support weight better by spreading the displacement out over less surface area as the drawing shows. The mere fact that it would help the intake alone, not to mention we are not talking super speed boat, almost makes it worth it. I was picturing flattening just the back half or so, kinda like the Fastech. The EV tends to flop around a lot, being severe deep vee and so top heavy.

I wonder why all jet ski's, seadoo's, etc... are NOT deep V hulls?

When is this thing going to be done so I can buy it.

Doby, So you want this boat AND the Graupner rigger?

Nahhh, not the rigger, its cool but not my thing.......the jet drive IS VERY Interesting!!!

That's cool, because EyeKandy is first in line for the Rigger!

Hey Diego;
    Jet Skiis, Personal water craft, what ever, are made to be very maneuverable. They would be a lot less fun if they were deep Vee's. One of those jet skiis in your photos is a modified V some place between a shallow and Deep V.
    Viking

True, but they both have the infamous "flat spot" on the hull.

Here's the steering servo installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still waiting to buy this thing..............................

Im still waiting to see it go...
    My prop hasn't been wet in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
    Im still waiting to see it go...
    Me too!

I have completed a custom "quick release" motor mount for her, I just need to install the mount and couple it to the drive. Then she's ready for the water! (still needing turn fins though)

i dont think that jet drive is big enough to power that boat there is still room under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by skipskip View Post
    i dont think that jet drive is big enough to power that boat there is still room under the hood
    I hope that's sarcasm skipskip! That jet is made to push a MUCH bigger boat!

Crickets......

Chirp,,Chirp......Chirp.........................

Yawn..........................

Ok Doby. I'll get back on the ball tonight and tomorrow. Expect an update soon.

ya its sarcasim im mean come on do thay even make a bigger jet drive that out let takes up the hole back of the boat
    oh baby

you should get a BIG motor for it maybe a Fieago 580
    EYEKANDYGRAPHICS

www.rclipos.com

Default turn fins

Hey Diego;
    Why is it again you think you need turn fins on a jet boat. If you have enough power to the jet it will turn in it's own length at full speed and be going the other way while everything else on the water is still thinking about turning!
    Viking

Because my 1st jet boat, Shockwave 26, would just spin out in a turn.

did it have one of those flat spots?

Why yes it did, as a matter of fact.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,ZZZZZZZZZZzzz zzzzzzzzz,,,,ZZZZZZZZZZZZzz,,,,

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,, ,Zzzzzzzzzzz ,,,,Yawn,,,,,,,, 4 months to buid one little jet boat,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,, ,Zzzzzzzzzzz ,,,,Yawn,,,,,,,, 4 months to buid one little jet boat,,,,,,,,
    Glad you aren't watching my shovelnose build!
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

2-56 push rod is now replaced by a beefy 4-40 rod.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast