Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mamba XL X

Default Mamba XL X

Has anyone tried this new ESC in a boat? How about water cooling, is it simalar to converting the Mamba XL2?

It's the same case as the xl2 so easy to convert to water cooling.. Does have 4 more caps that make overall length longer.. As far as performance.. I like the adjustable bec.. And running the 2 back to back it runs on average 30 to 40 degrees cooler than the xl2 with same exact setup in same boat and motor and prop..and have spiked it well over 275 amps.. Just wish they were a bit more waterproof

Thanks for the reply. One more quick question. How tall is the ESC after removing the heat sink and cooling fan and converting it to water cooling? I found some interesting comparisons of the xlx to the xl2 here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...lx-vs-xl2.html

and here

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229571

Omg. Castle stopped selling the xl2 and replaced it with a neutered version. Bad castle. Very disappointed!!!

This sucks.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Sounds like they are doing this for warranty reasons...
    https://youtu.be/foiRZU5UVTA
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Yeah, as much as they advertise about being the "FASTEST" company in RC, I think us "boaters" are getting the short end of the stick here. Why did they stop making boat ESCs and when will they start to make them again?!

They stopped the Hydra series several years ago. They stopped because they lost $$$ on every one due to all the warranty returns....close to 100 times the warranty claims versus airplane controllers. They should get props for hanging in so long.

The neutering of the Mamba is a disappointment, but I use the aircraft controllers modded for boat use. They make
    wonderful
    controllers as long as they don't get wet.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I understand the warranty thing, but I (personally) would be reluctant to mod an airplane controller for boating use, if it can't get wet without failing, because that seems inevitable.
    They should change their slogan to: THE FASTEST NAME IN RC (except for boats).

Cool

The Hydras weren't tolerant of water either. Experienced boaters know how to keep water out of a boat. The Castles can be waterproofed (kinda) with CorrosionX if you doubt your skills. If you don't like Castle, don't buy one. No one is holding a gun to your head.

I'd like to see a boat lose it's hatch and not take on water...That's a good trick!!!....I have lots of Castle stuff..........................

So, I know Castle COULD build a superior BOAT ESC if they WANTED TO. If warranty returns were your problem, then build it BETTER!
    They've become FAT & Sassy on their multi-MillionDollar TRAXXAS contracts and apparently don't care about boating as much, or expanding their line to encompass us all. It's about money, not the hobby anymore. GO TEAM CORPORATE AMERICA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FORT-26 View Post
    I'd like to see a boat lose it's hatch and not take on water...That's a good trick!!!
    Pretty sure if you have a $300+ controller, you probably have a fair amount of $$ into the boat and your going to make SURE your hatch can't come off. Sure, they could build a better controller, which would then raise the cost, and then people would complain about THAT too. Can't please everyone nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Omg. Castle stopped selling the xl2 and replaced it with a neutered version. Bad castle. Very disappointed!!!

This sucks.
    they have fixed the firmware to bring it back to xl2 performance.. but I have blown 2 of them since.. time to try mgm

Well that's good to know. What MGM are you looking at getting?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well that's good to know. What MGM are you looking at getting?
    Looking at the 280 lite with waterproofing for my q.. and probably the 400 for my t

Anyone convert the 160 HV lite controller to water cooling for a 10s setup it says good for 3s to 12s

Cool

I haven't, but it would be identical to what is done to the 200LV Lite. What many folks seem to forget is that high voltage setups don't run at higher amps. In fact a 10S setup will run with great performance with lower amps than a 4S setup. With better water cooling there is no reason that the 160HV would not make a great 10S controller.

Improved cooling can extend the safe amp draw for a controller. An example was the old Hydra ICE 240 LV marine controller. It was identical to the aircraft ICE 200 LV (except for the firmware) yet was rated 40 amps higher. This was because the water cooling kept it...cooler. It is not high amps which cooks a controller, it is the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I haven't, but it would be identical to what is done to the 200LV Lite. What many folks seem to forget is that high voltage setups don't run at higher amps. In fact a 10S setup will run with great performance with lower amps than a 4S setup. With better water cooling there is no reason that the 160HV would not make a great 10S controller.

Improved cooling can extend the safe amp draw for a controller. An example was the old Hydra ICE 240 LV marine controller. It was identical to the aircraft ICE 200 LV (except for the firmware) yet was rated 40 amps higher. This was because the water cooling kept it...cooler. It is not high amps which cooks a controller, it is the heat.

sounds like a plan, I think I will get one for my 1/8 scale and convert it thanks very much Jay T

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    Looking at the 280 lite with waterproofing for my q.. and probably the 400 for my t
    I have a couple of 250 lites and I was thinking about letting one go. One is brand new. Collecting dust.

Are they the fully waterproofed ones??

I am going to try a 160 Brian water proofed for me in my 10s mono. I will let you know how it works out.
    Ray. I just got my TP motor and it looks good. I hope to have the boat done in a few weeks. Look forward to racing you guys again in the gas classes.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    I am going to try a 160 Brian water proofed for me in my 10s mono. I will let you know how it works out.
    Ray. I just got my TP motor and it looks good. I hope to have the boat done in a few weeks. Look forward to racing you guys again in the gas classes.

Mark
    can you please post some detailed pictures of your conversion? I have seen the ones Jay T done but would like to see different ideas out there thanks, geno

I am using an old Peter Zicha mount for the motor mount but had to drill new holes because these motors come with a 6 bolt star pattern. I'm sure you can use any motor mount designed for 5" rails but might need to drill some new holes unless you can get them to make the right bolt pattern. I will show pics once the motor is installed.
    I'm using the 5860 5y 650kv motor in hopes to be able to swing gas props at a little higher rpm than they do.

Mark

Mark
    Which motor did u get?? I got the 5860.. it's a amp hog.. did 2 laps and it popped a 300 sf speedo.. that was on a small prop.. not sure the cox will hold up.. thinking mgm 400

I have a 300 SF that's been through many motors and still keeps running. I got the motor listed above.

Mark

I have an XL X on the way. I'll be interested to see what it's capabilities are and what it will take to cool it.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    I have an XL X on the way. I'll be interested to see what it's capabilities are and what it will take to cool it.
    It's the same board as the 160.. but it has the bec.. the xlx is the one I blew up at nats in my q mono brian

Ray it sounds like your 300 was ready to go. These are 6 pole motors and they are going to be harder on esc than a 4 pole. That's one reason I went with 650 kv to get rpm down and prop size up.
    How do you water cool your castles? Have you seen how Brian does it?

Mark

I have seen how brian does it.. we just drilled out case and added 2 cooling lines per side

Default mamba xlx

Mark
    if razordesigns popped a swordfish 300 on a small prop, do you think a 160 will handle it? how many amps are you anticipating?

Some esc's are underrated, some are overrated.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast