Thread: Reverse on a SuperVee 27

Default Reverse on a SuperVee 27

Hi All, I am a noob here.. Just inherited this boat and love it.. However, the lack of reverse makes it a pain in the arse. I realize there is no steering in reverse.. and you can possible swamp the boat. however, if used judiciously, it can make it easier than walking completely around a pond just rearrange it. Sometimes I can see I am not going to make the turn and let off.. Then it stops close to the shore and I dont have enough room to get out going forward.. While practicing all I would need is to back it up straight slowly a few feet and I could get the boat going again..

Soooo, now that I explained why I would like a reverse.. How can I make/mod the ESC to actually get a slow reverse? I will take all the responsibility

Edit.. I was watching a youtube video and saw a Supervee 27 USING Reverse.. Watch this video and at 2:30 sec mark you can clearly see this boat reverse and pull back from the shoreline...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YAzGTNHf28
    Last edited by Chuckster; 04-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.

In all honesty most fast electric boats have reverse disabled for reason. If the flex cable is run in reverse can actually bind up inside the stuffing tube and melt into the teflon liner, thus damaging your driveline. The Aquacraft ESC's are not programmable for reverse (or programmable at all from my understanding)
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Get yourself a Turnigy ESC that has reverse, I think the 120's have it.

On a cheaper note...do you have enough rudder throw to make sharp turns?
    Also, is it your driving causing the problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    In all honesty most fast electric boats have reverse disabled for reason. If the flex cable is run in reverse can actually bind up inside the stuffing tube and melt into the teflon liner, thus damaging your driveline. The Aquacraft ESC's are not programmable for reverse (or programmable at all from my understanding)
    Thanks for the great explanation... Makes sense.. But if they had it set so it was only a very minimal thrust just to pull the boat out..I think it could be a good mod..

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Get yourself a Turnigy ESC that has reverse, I think the 120's have it.

On a cheaper note...do you have enough rudder throw to make sharp turns?
    Also, is it your driving causing the problems?
    Rudder works great going clockwise.. Because its not affected by propwash.. Going counterclockwise is a different story.. its a crappy design.. Either put the rudder way behind the prop or make a dual rudder system thats on both sides of the prop.. That sounds like a fun mod. I may look for a spare rudder and slave it off the main..

And yes.. I suck at driving still.. lol

I was watching a youtube video and saw a Supervee 27 USING Reverse.. Watch this video and at 2:30 sec mark you can clearly see this boat reverse and pull back from the shoreline...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YAzGTNHf28

This is exactly what I want. How can I make this work?

I bet it isn't stock

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

As posted previously in the thread, the aquacraft ESC does not support a program function, you will need to change the ESC to one which supports reverse, most ESC's that you can program have this option of reverse. As stated above also, reverse should be treated with care due to the flex cable, low slow use should be OK.

As for Clockwise running, this is the direction of racing, and that is what the SV27 was built around, so not good for you, but good for those racing clockwise laps.