Thread: FREE Dragon F1 Tunnel Hull plans

Default FREE Dragon F1 Tunnel Hull plans

(I am sure this will get moved to the appropriate area)
    I have decided to upload some free plans for everyone to have a look at and maybe have a crack at building.

This one is my original 29" Dragon I built. It is a design I tweaked parts and used my own sizes based on the infamous Villain S1 design by Grimracer. I raced this design in the USA in 2007 at the World Tunnel Championships. It had a blue cowl and actually featured in a photo in RCBM in an article by Jerry Dunlap on the 07 WTC

Dragons.jpg
    background is my current M11 Design
    front is the 29" Dragon the free plans will make
    (Photo Credit to Ray Coleman)

All I ask is for people to share their builds and ask as many questions as possible :) These are templates I used to stick to (only thing clagg glue is good for in model boats :P) 4mm balsa for the template then cut out with an exacto knife. The keelson was 3mm balsa laminated to 1mm birch ply...but 3mm birch ply would be a better alternative.

People who build this can either use a Dumas 7.5 cowl (glass available from my buddy) or you can buy a Vision Cowl from Shawn Junker or a Dragon Cowl from myself...just check the radiobox and transom widths. I am sure many other cowlings will fit (ie TS3/TS2, ML Boatworks) but I cannot be sure.

See below link for PDF and .DXF
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8...A&usp=drive_fs
    Last edited by Kris Flynn; 08-25-2023 at 12:41 AM.

Awesome Kris, thanks for sharing mate

Nice Kris thanks a lot.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

hi Kris,

do you still making those stiletto flex shaft?
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

damm, sorry I didn't reply Mel...yes I am :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Flynn View Post
    damm, sorry I didn't reply Mel...yes I am :)
    send you a pm..sorry to hijack your thread
    Stiletto tunnel,EPV135 (53") twin cat, CT06"Spirit of Qatar", FD 47" mono, Twin Mini Cat 23.5"

thanks for the plans. Any idea how it would run with the Stiletto elec outboard

The Stiletto outboards are quite a bit heavier than other available outboards.

Quote Originally Posted by buckt1 View Post
    thanks for the plans. Any idea how it would run with the Stiletto elec outboard
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    The Stiletto outboards are quite a bit heavier than other available outboards.
    Definitely... A Stiletto lower unit is about 12-13oz, if I recall correctly, compared to around 7oz for a Lawless. However, it's not much heavier than an OS unit. There is a lot of metal there in an effort to make it "look" like a real outboard. The geometry, etc., however, is NOT unlike an OS Unit, so performance is similar. It's a racing outboard disguised as "scale" outboard.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I am sure it will work well :-)

My boats dont seem to be finicky like others can be

I printed out the drawings but they are not to scale, what am I doing wrong??? I'm way better at building things than computers...lol

which did you print out? PDF or DXF? if DXF did you set the scale (1:1) correctly on the printing panel?

I printed the PDF files. I will try the DFX at the 1:1 scale
    Thanks,
    Tom

Thanks for the plans. I have a Prather Lap Cat and my interest is growing for this type of boat.

Lee

Just wanted to add that I have updated my FREE PLANS to include the sponsons which I have now gone 89MPH average as the official world record for an outboard tunnel

Hi it Selwyn here iam new here I really like to to down load plans but I carnt get on google drive the boat look really good . I want to give it a crack at it cheers Selwyn