Thread: Anyone use Futaba Telemetry?

Default Anyone use Futaba Telemetry?

Thinking of trying the voltage sensor for a larger sport build I am finishing up. I time my smaller boat and that seems to work just fine but this one has a lot more mah and a different running style so it would be nice to keep an eye on the voltage if it works the way it should. Curious if anyone has anything good or bad to say about it.

Thanks!
    James

I do use it... it's a great little sensor. Except one little downside to it-- the transmitter doesn't update to the most recent voltage if your boat is too far out in the water. Make sure to bring the boat in like 50 feet away from you or so to have the most accurate readings.

Thanks I was thinking that might possibly be the case. That wouldn't be an issue for this purpose. Sure beats bring it all the way to shore and pulling the hatch to connect a checker. Even if I stopped a couple seconds next to the bank it would still be worth it.

Another thing you could do is add a Lipo Voltage Alarm -- you can buy one pretty cheap at Hobbyking or Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2015376...&ul_noapp=true
    You can make it so that the alarm goes off at whatever voltage you want... It's pretty loud too. Try that as well as a secondary measure perhaps.

There are audible alarms on the radio too, just have to be close enough for the data to be transmitted.

Does telemetry just use a wi-fi type link? I noticed on the transmitter it does show the signal strength.

Looks like Castle has a "Telemetry Link" that feeds esc data into the S.BUS2 instead of having to use separate sensors for everything. Pretty cool! I wonder if SF is working on anything similar?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ink-sbus2.html
    Last edited by Jamey; 03-31-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
    Does telemetry just use a wi-fi type link? I noticed on the transmitter it does show the signal strength.

Looks like Castle has a "Telemetry Link" that feeds esc data into the S.BUS2 instead of having to use separate sensors for everything. Pretty cool! I wonder if SF is working on anything similar?

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ink-sbus2.html
    Thats a good find! Unfortunately the only ground radio that show's promise is the 4px. I sent an email to Futaba to see when it might be available.

You mean the software update? Tower shows to have the castle telemetry link in stock already. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
    You mean the software update? Tower shows to have the castle telemetry link in stock already. Crazy.
    Check here, shows pending software update for the 4px.

Yeah I know that is why I asked if you were referring to the software update : )

Have you already done the V1.3 update dated 2/10? The notes don't say anything about the Castle link so I'm sure that isn't the one you would need.

No, have not updated to 1.3. This is the response I got back from Futaba

"Futaba does not announce any new products or software until right before they
    are available to the public. As such we have no information on this."

Wow that was fast but with a generic response like that it doesn't take a lot of time to research.

Looks like only one futaba radio works with the link right now. Wouldn't expect castle to sell to many until futaba can get these updates out there.

Why is it always the stick radios that have the best range/telemetry support compared to pistol ones?

I wouldn't really waste my time with these types of proprietary telemetry systems when theres things like this out there: http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/

They support just about everything especially (Multiplex M-LINK) LIVE feed telemetry-- Jeti Duplex (auch EX), Multiplex M-Link, Graupner HoTT, Robbe/Futaba FASStest S.BUS2, JR Propo DMSS und FrSky

Messed around a little this weekend with the 4pls. I monitored the telemetry signal strength a couple times and it seemed very good. I don't know guys but it showed good signal strength well over 50ft. I would say more like 50yrds out and the signal showed fine. Maybe in actual use with a sensor it doesn't actually pan out that way? I will say it is next to impossible for me to look at the screen and drive so I would have to probably let the boat come to a stop before I can even figure out what I am looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Why is it always the stick radios that have the best range/telemetry support compared to pistol ones?

I wouldn't really waste my time with these types of proprietary telemetry systems when theres things like this out there: http://www.sm-modellbau.de/shop/

They support just about everything especially (Multiplex M-LINK) LIVE feed telemetry-- Jeti Duplex (auch EX), Multiplex M-Link, Graupner HoTT, Robbe/Futaba FASStest S.BUS2, JR Propo DMSS und FrSky
    That's cool, but the only Futaba that would be supported are the high dollar stick radios that support FASStest.

Futaba released software in Aug. to support the Castle Telemetry Link for the 4PX. I have the link but my transmitter is on it's way to Las Vegas.

They have some decent and capable wireless telemetry here at a good price: http://www.iisi-rc.com/IISI-RC/Home.html

They have some decent and capable wireless telemetry here at a good price: http://www.iisi-rc.com/IISI-RC/Home.html
    Eagletree does all that AND is supported in the US. This thread is about Futaba telemetry.

Yea, but does it have a 600 or even a 400 amp current sensor... I think not.

Yea, but does it have a 600 or even a 400 amp current sensor... I think not.
    Does it interface with Futaba?

I have a Futaba 4PLS which I use for both my 1/5 scale petrol off roader and my mono hull Boat.
    I have 3 sensors for my boat so I can do some data logging and monitoring while I try different Props.

SBS-01RB, The RPM sensor on the brushless motor (all Sorted for my leopard 4082 motor x2 1600kv.)
    SBS-01V for the battery voltage (All sorted 2x 3s lipos)
    SBS-01TE for the temp which I need help with.
    What would be the most important temperature to monitor and where would I place the sensor pad? I tied it on the back of the motor next to the wires and the temp only got to 35 deg C.
    Would I be better to monitor the ESC temp? would the ESC (Seaking 180amp V3) be the more likely to blow before the motor if something when wrong? What would be regarded as safe temps for my setup?