Thread: The Cigarette

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Cigarette

I love Powerboats Especially the allure of the 70-80 Offshore powerboats. Here is the one that coined the phrase "Cigarette". ( I know I need decals and paint the seat red. lol) but here it is. 1969 32 Cary Here to you Don Aronow.

IMG_1766.jpgIMG_1767.jpgIMG_2566.jpgIMG_2567.jpgIMG_2568.jpg

I Don't Know who made the hull, I thought it was a Dumas Deep Vee but it was all Metallic in the lay up so... got it from Ebay, and put it on a diet made the hatches out of Owens Corning glassed them and put some carbon on the bottoms of them.

The Hardware is all Speedmaster 1/4" shaft stinger stepped to a 3/16" stub for my prop. Aeromarine Laminates trim tabs. The motor is a Neu 1527 1.5y 8mm shaft castle hydra HV200.
    I try to post a video when it warms up more.

Nice Conversion!
    I would like to see, know more about how you made the custom hatches with seats and louvers.
    I have an old nitro deep Vee hull that I want to build up as a FE, but creating a Hatch is one of my biggest hurdles.

Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    Nice Conversion!
    I would like to see, know more about how you made the custom hatches with seats and louvers.
    I have an old nitro deep Vee hull that I want to build up as a FE, but creating a Hatch is one of my biggest hurdles.
    Yes that's awesome and I too would like how to make/build one as have a 48" mono that was a gas boat that I converted to electric but I don't have a hatch for it and yours looks awesome.

Thanks! They just take a lot of sanding and fitting. If you are going to make some and need some pointers I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks! I wish I had taken step by step photos of the hatches. I just found another hull just like this one. I will start a build post for that one. I'm going to build Kiekhaefer Aeromarine III.
    The hull I cut down the stringers ground out a lot of sloppy resin and CA chipped out the old flotation foam and replaced the inner transom core. it was soft and partly rotted with a ton of holes.
    Laid in a new transom 1/4 birch coved the inner hull in a layer of carbon fiber with west systems.

The front cockpit rails are 1/8" birch ply with spruce glued to it to make an L bracket . Then its glassed in.
    I just made cardboard templates for the hatch covers traced it to some foam board. Then I sanded them to the desired fit and thickness. Then coated them with West Systems and layed up some carbon fiber and fine woven glass mat.
    The seat and vents were just hot knifed, sanded to shape and epoxied to the hatches and coved with fine cloth and west systems micro fiber on the last step of glassing the covers.
    I was thinking of using them as plugs and making a mold of them because the other hull may be the same size.

Cool. Thanks for the explanation!

Very cool build, thanks for sharing
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

What you have is a 40 inch Futuraglass , modeled after the 36' wide body Cigarette 1971 Kiekhaefer Aeromarine I-II-III also known as Kam I-II-III . Not a Cary 32 The Cary Cigarette was the first hull ,and the 36 was Aronow's second design and sold one to Carl Kiekhaefer owner of Mercury Marine

The famous 1969 Cary 32 Cigarette boat
    Started by Diegoboy, 01-19-2016 11:19 PM
    Niether of the Cigarettes Red, Black, boats had hatches and both decks were made longer to look like the real boats and it was not easy and took a lot of time. Check out the title above

I own all these old books about Aronow, some I will sell cheap. The main ones do command some money because they will never be printed again.

I have a few of them myself king of thunderboat row, Speed kills and Bluethunder. I found a copy of sea race autographed by Mandy Fernandez at a used book store. Sea race by John Crouse is a really cool book lots of history there.

IM002356.jpg Cigarettes , When when were men and boats were boatss-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (6).jpg
    Last edited by boatsareus; 02-18-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Beautiful!!
    What drives are those??
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Black boat TFL Drives sold by OSE . Red boat International Hobbies ,( AMPS ), Agnew Marine Propulsion 1983

Boatsareus beautiful boats. I was wondering how the TFL stern dive looks on these hulls I have a set of them for my next boat that I never started lol. Life has my RV boat habit on hold. Lol.

Any videos? How she run?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Cary 32 Magnum "The Cigarette"
    s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg
    Believe it or not your boat was made by a guy in Massachusetts and the company was called Futura Glass boats . The guy made tub inclosers and toilet seats but I think he popped a mold from a Dumas CF-40 cigarette wide body 1970's . I bought one from him and it was identical in every way to the Dumas CF-40 , A little late for the post but just an FYI

hello

which are the dimensions of your hull ?

Witch one???

hello,

lenght and width
    thank's

No, Wich Boat? ,Wich photo ? I have 8 boats all different on this thread.

hello

the beautiful black cigarette with twin z-drive (Cary 32 Magnum "The Cigarette")

32" long ,9/38" wide without outdrives

Could be a Futura Glass made in Ma ,Identical to the Dumas 40 wide body 30 ft Cigarette not a Cary . This is the Cary https://www.facebook.com/chipsoutboa...700356/?type=3