Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more motor ?????

thats a bummer you lost your favorite cat...... maybe i should just send you this thing and pay you to make it a beast lol..... i think you have got me on the right track here..... it will be a slow process (low funds) but i think in about 2 months it will be there
    60% of the time... it works every time!

Default same

Fluid, I am trying to build a fast (high 40's) reliable boat that runs cool (50 amps)and has a long run time on a budget. That is why I like the 14XL. If I put this setup in my mean machine and get different batteries, hopefully I will reach my goal. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try the other props, next payday. Also planning on getting a neu motor for the supercat, I really like the way it handles. Which motor do you suggest?

Reddy

hammertime there is also the twisted liquid racing hardware for the thundercat its only 50 for the strut and rudder

Reddywatts, I'm sure you can accomplish your goal, I have my MM running 45.7mph with a 12xl geared 1.26:1 on 24 cells using an X642. That's turning 31771 no load rpm at the prop. If I had to do over, I would have used the 14xl direct and got over 34000 at the prop. With the current setup I'm averaging 52 amps with a peak of 72. I've thought about going to a larger prop (my initial goal was 50mph) and I still may, but that might defeat the purpose of having a reliable sport setup.

[QUOTE=ReddyWatts;4880]I usually use some 1/8 hobby grade plywood under the controller/motor and 1/16 balsa wood under the batteries to prevent any damage to the hull, if something burns up. It has proven to be a good heat insulator from any catastrophic events. It also adds strength to the hull for the horsepower the brushless motors are generating these days. Its cheaper and safer than working with the carbon fiber.

my esc was mounted on wood it burnt a hole on the top of the boat as it flipped when I turned left to get it closer to shore when I heard the boat give out

]

Default same

A hole in the top of the boat? I have not had that one happen yet. Was it velcroed to the wood?

It is nice to be able to open the hatch and find everything at 120F. I was runnning a 10XL last year and it was all around 140F @ 70 amps with less run time. I still have some tuning and props to try on this one, but I am very satisfied with it so far on a 77 amp controller.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 05-28-2007 at 11:09 PM.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ct-oc6str-130a

would this hardware work ok on my cat
    60% of the time... it works every time!

Default same

I like to pull the flex cable after each days run, so the cable does not rust and bind. It is a pain, if the rudder is inline with the prop shaft.

hey what was the cell count on the m-1 cat in the video

Default same

24 cheap sport cells from tenergy. It will run a lot faster with some good batts.

77 amp - 30 cell Jeti controller, Y537/3 prop, 50 amps, 120F on all components. I only water cooled the 14XL motor. I do not like the Jeti opto 77 controller. You can build a mean machine like it for under $500. That boat setup would have cost $800, 1 1/2 years ago. The only brushless parts available at that time were for competition racing. It just keeps getting better, faster and more reliable.
    Last edited by ReddyWatts; 05-30-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12