Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    Not my finest hour this morning.... I ran the twin into the dock doing at least 60mph.
    OUCH!

Sorry, Man!!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks man. It's a horrible feeling of stupidity and sadness. I just ordered the replacement hull though so I should be putting this behind me soon...

Sorry to hear about that arrover. But I can say the hull is pretty stout for a rtr. I trippled flipped mine this morning going about 50 and it did no damage at all.

At least it didn't sink!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Arrover, do yourself a favor on the next hull. Pour 20-30 grams of epoxy in each tip and about 30g in the front of the tunnel. When you do this, submerge the front of the boat in water while the epoxy cures. It will keep it from warping while the epoxy cures. If you want more info on this let me know. Ill direct you in the right direction.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

That's actually pretty impressive. At that speed I would have expected even more carnage.

We had a guy fall out of one of those little rafts. Our pond was super milky. Like a cup of coffee. That's the day we found out it was only 2.5 feet deep all the way across. He crawled out like the creature from the black lagoon.
    Noisy person

Aww man! Sorry to see that arrover. I know how u feel.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

Thank you guys. KFX, what does the epoxy in the tips do? Strengthen it for the future or is it for added weight up front???

Thank you guys. KFX, what does the epoxy in the tips do? Strengthen it for the future or is it for added weight up front???
    Both my friend. I do this in all of my boats. It does help. One guy I built a boat for, throttle got stuck and hit the bank and so tree roots. Embedded its self pretty deep into the bank and he had no damage. He attested the reason why was the reinforcement I did to the front. That same boat went flying out the water and did cartwheels many times until it stopped across the street (this was a long distance from the water to the other side of the street). It statues together. (Keyword, use your fail safes).

Arrover

Did you have to upgrade the stock shaft to run the x447? I am willing to give the octuras another chance and would also purchase a balancer. I also just ordered the garmin 201, so I can contribute some testing as well.
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

As luck would have it, one of my packs puffed somehow. So I'm down to 3 3s packs. Everyday going to work the river has been fricking flat, I mean like mirror flat. Voracity awaiting caps and Zelos awaiting drain plug. SMH!!!!

KFX, I would be interested in hearing what specific epoxy product you use and a semi step-by-step overview of how you apply it to the hull. If you have time. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Keagan, I have not upgraded my flexes. Can you stick a small bolt and nut through the drain plug hole so you can run the Zelos now?

I can use the drain plug from the voracity since that OTS at the moment but I'm anal like that. I can wait it out.

What prop balancer are you guys using?

KFX, I would be interested in hearing what specific epoxy product you use and a semi step-by-step overview of how you apply it to the hull. If you have time. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Keagan, I have not upgraded my flexes. Can you stick a small bolt and nut through the drain plug hole so you can run the Zelos now?
    Honestly the epoxy you use isnt important as long as its quality stuff. I use west system but your local hobby shop should carry two part epoxy suitable for fiberglass, the longer cure is better. It's better if you cut some fiberglass strands into the epoxy once it's mixed. Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. Anyway. Mix up each batch. Stand boat up. Pour each in seperate. If you don't wanna add too much weight to the front then do 20 grams each. Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.

Honestly the epoxy you use isnt important as long as its quality stuff. I use west system but your local hobby shop should carry two part epoxy suitable for fiberglass, the longer cure is better. It's better if you cut some fiberglass strands into the epoxy once it's mixed. Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. Anyway. Mix up each batch. Stand boat up. Pour each in seperate. If you don't wanna add too much weight to the front then do 20 grams each. Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.

Thanks KFX. I'm going to look into doing this.
    Let me know if you have any more questions. Be glad to help.

Can you mix match battery packs? For instance I have 3 3s dynamite packs 50c 5000mah, can I use two of those with let's say 2 Turnigy nano or Turnigy hd for 6s per esc on the Zelos? I have an opportunity to get them without having to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Keagan-Z06 View Post
    Can you mix match battery packs? For instance I have 3 3s dynamite packs 50c 5000mah, can I use two of those with let's say 2 Turnigy nano or Turnigy hd for 6s per esc on the Zelos? I have an opportunity to get them without having to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

I wouldn't. Too risky with the volatile nature of lipos.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Have about 6-8" deep of cool water in your bath tub so you can stand the boat in it to keep the epoxy mix cool while it hardens. .... Once poured, go set in your tub and let cure.
    That's a really good idea. I've had mine "suck in" the deck surface a little once it cured due to the heat.

Also, for some boats, like Sport Hydros, where getting enough forward weight is a problem, mixing in some lead shot and pouring that mixture into the tips minimized the amount of weight you have to add to get the boat's CG correct.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

How do these packs fair off? The Turnigy's HD? I read some reviews of the nanotech and the zippy but notice a lot of guys use the Turnigy's HD's. I won't mix match since it's not a good idea but I would run the Turnigy's in my voracity instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    That's a really good idea. I've had mine "suck in" the deck surface a little once it cured due to the heat.

Also, for some boats, like Sport Hydros, where getting enough forward weight is a problem, mixing in some lead shot and pouring that mixture into the tips minimized the amount of weight you have to add to get the boat's CG correct.

Yes, I've messed up a couple tips not having it in water. Never had an issue in water. Matter of fact I did this to my zelos the other day getting it ready for paint.

The lead shot is a great idea!

How do these packs fair off? The Turnigy's HD? I read some reviews of the nanotech and the zippy but notice a lot of guys use the Turnigy's HD's. I won't mix match since it's not a good idea but I would run the Turnigy's in my voracity instead.
    I decided to try a turdnigy hd a few months back. It was very strong (almost as strong as revolectrix) for the first few runs but dropped off in power dramatically. I think I lost about 8mph after several cycles. Never had this issue with any other battery. Confirmed it by using a different pack and my speed was back. Personally I wouldn't use turnigy batteries at this point. I always was against them but read how some people loved them so I decided to try for myself. Was hugely disappointed. These people running turnigys with fast boats, don't know what they are missing by not using a good battery. The only zippys I've seen used were in an aqua craft ul1 and they puffed very badly after a minute or so run time. He switched to another pack and didn't have that issue. That's all I know of them. I've never run them myself.

Thanks kfx, what packs would you recommend? Thanks for saving my hasty butt there. I don't have probs with the dynamite except one puffed but after the turmoil the voracity went through it may be linked to that.

Thanks kfx, what packs would you recommend? Thanks for saving my hasty butt there. I don't have probs with the dynamite except one puffed but after the turmoil the voracity went through it may be linked to that.
    SPC or revoelectrix are nice batteries. My 70c SPC packs are awesome, never had a problem with them. I do run a pair of 2s 45c nano-tech's in my 24" hydro and they hold up good. They do get a little soft after a run but they never puff up, and I also race these packs in my 1/10 2wd buggies so they see lots of use

I made a list in another thread.....ill see if I can remember

Smc (supposedly the same cells as Spc)
    Spc (awesome batts and almost as powerful as the revos)
    Hyperion (although I've never used these I've never heard bad about them)
    Venom (I've used, last a long time)
    revolectrix is my favorite and most powerful I've ever used
    I've had good luck with smaller dynamite batts
    Those bright green pulse are tough (I've used)
    Gens ace but they are getting scarce (I've used)
    Heard good things about giant power too
    The new reaction packs seem to be doing very well too. Maybe someone else can confirm

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I made a list in another thread.....ill see if I can remember

Smc (supposedly the same cells as Spc)
    Spc (awesome batts and almost as powerful as the revos)
    Hyperion (although I've never used these I've never heard bad about them)
    Venom (I've used, last a long time)
    revolectrix is my favorite and most powerful I've ever used
    I've had good luck with smaller dynamite batts
    Those bright green pulse are tough (I've used)
    Gens ace but they are getting scarce (I've used)
    Heard good things about giant power too
    The new reaction packs seem to be doing very well too. Maybe someone else can confirm
    Thanks for all your help, are these shipped from within the US. I leave for Chicago Monday and would hate to leave without them. I'm looking at their sites right now, seems I can get ec5 connectors on the revos but from Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    SPC or revoelectrix are nice batteries. My 70c SPC packs are awesome, never had a problem with them. I do run a pair of 2s 45c nano-tech's in my 24" hydro and they hold up good. They do get a little soft after a run but they never puff up, and I also race these packs in my 1/10 2wd buggies so they see lots of use
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_99

Would any of the 3s pack from here be good? I can't access the SPC site for some reason, it wouldn't load. I would have to solder ec5 connectors on them. Male or female plugs? They both look alike, lol.

Thanks for all your help, are these shipped from within the US. I leave for Chicago Monday and would hate to leave without them. I'm looking at their sites right now, seems I can get ec5 connectors on the revos but from Singapore?
    Revos come from Singapore. Every order I've made from them has arrived amazingly in 4-5 working days. I ordered on Sunday evening and get by Thursday.

Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast