Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 2430

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Have someone experienced the motor on Zelos Twin burned. After a few minutes, one engine stopped working. And there was heavy smoke from it. ESC was not hot and cooling system not blocked. do not really understand why it is burnt, Should the ESC not be hot if water did get through. ??

Quote Originally Posted by prepered View Post
    Have someone experienced the motor on Zelos Twin burned. After a few minutes, one engine stopped working. And there was heavy smoke from it. ESC was not hot and cooling system not blocked. do not really understand why it is burnt, Should the ESC not be hot if water did get through. ??
    The motors were probably not lined up and were binding the flexes up against the liner.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

That explanation still has a bit of mystery. If the motor is bound up by the flexes, it will pull a lot more current, so the ESC should be hot, unless it has a very high de-rate... It sounds like a winding failure, but that should pull high current too.. Sometimes it’s hard to know exactly, when it comes to electricity. All you can do is replace it, and triple check everything going back together.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    The motors were probably not lined up and were binding the flexes up against the liner.
    Nop they where lined up perfekt. and make several runs whit it before whit no issue.

Nop they where lined up perfekt. and make several runs whit it before whit no issue.
    Did you flip the boat any? If so that throws them out of alignment. I speak from experience. Not guessing, mine was smoking when I brought it in and noticed the motors shifted. They can do it even if you didn’t flip. The mount is a poor design in my opinion. Good idea, but it should have a slot to keep it aligned. I’m pretty sure it was just in a bind slightly.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Did you flip the boat any? If so that throws them out of alignment. I speak from experience. Not guessing, mine was smoking when I brought it in and noticed the motors shifted. They can do it even if you didn’t flip. The mount is a poor design in my opinion. Good idea, but it should have a slot to keep it aligned. I’m pretty sure it was just in a bind slightly.
    They was no bind and did, t flip it today. I think it was just a fail in motor. shortcut maybe.

Motor mount screws too long, and shorted out the winding.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Good point Larry... OP needs to check that.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Motor mount screws too long, and shorted out the winding.

Larry
    Larry they are stock screws . ??

I wouldn’t assume that the Chinese guy used the right screws.. Do a depth check yourself, then you know.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I wouldn’t assume that the Chinese guy used the right screws.. Do a depth check yourself, then you know.
    I will Thank,s

Will these motor be gode for Zelos. and can the Stock ESC handle the. [ATTACH=CONFIG]157936[/ATTACH
    Specs:
    RPM/v: 1700kv
    Poles: 4
    Max voltage: 22.2v (6S)
    Max Current: 84A
    Max Watts: 1800w
    Resistance: 0.0094ohm
    No Load Current: 2.9A
    Can Diameter: 36mm (actual motor diameter)
    Can Diameter inc. Water Jacket: 44mm
    Can Length: 60mm
    Shaft Size: 5mm
    Weight: 270gIMG_8797.jpgIMG_8797.jpg

You'll need to swing a lager diameter prop if you install a replacement motor with a lower kV motor to maintain a similar speed. That's an over simplification of all the factors involved, but something to consider. If you're looking for new motors with not a lot of other changes to be made, if any, the new Dynamite DYNM3831 are awesome and plug and play. They're more efficient than the originals and the stock ESC's can handle them, on appropriate sized props.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    You'll need to swing a lager diameter prop if you install a replacement motor with a lower kV motor to maintain a similar speed. That's an over simplification of all the factors involved, but something to consider. If you're looking for new motors with not a lot of other changes to be made, if any, the new Dynamite DYNM3831 are awesome and plug and play. They're more efficient than the originals and the stock ESC's can handle them, on appropriate sized props.
    Thanks for the input. But don't want to buy Dynamite DYNM3831. one of my stock ones just burn out so I think I go whit and other brand.

IMG_8965.jpg IMG_8959.jpg IMG_8961.jpg

Thanks for the input. But don't want to buy Dynamite DYNM3831. one of my stock ones just burn out so I think I go whit and other brand.

The motor in that picture is the old style 3831's

The newer style motor are much better.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=hh-dynm3831

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Sure, I get that, but you smoked an older DYNM3910, and while technically it's also a Dynamite motor, it was made by a completely different OEM manufacturer. And after looking at your pictures of the Aquastar motors, it looks like you already own a set.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Sure, I get that, but you smoked an older DYNM3910, and while technically it's also a Dynamite motor, it was made by a completely different OEM manufacturer. And after looking at your pictures of the Aquastar motors, it looks like you already own a set.
    YOUR RIGHT I already own and set but never try them in my zelos. Not sure if stock ESC can handle them. and okey did, t know that the new Dynamite DYNM3831 was made by other company. I will take a look at them. and thanks

I bought this zelos December 14, 2017 from Horizon hobby germany. And can see the old DYNM3910 has been discontinued now so can't buy replacement . so I wonder why mine is delivered with old Motor. should not it have been with Dynamite DYNM3831. ??

You likely bought a boat from existing stock, already built with the 3910 motors. Perhaps Horizon Germany will warranty your old motor. I don't recall reading the circumstances in which it failed, so I'm not sure.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

You likely bought a boat from existing stock, already built with the 3910 motors. Perhaps Horizon Germany will warranty your old motor. I don't recall reading the circumstances in which it failed, so I'm not sure.
    yes I will try to see if they can give me a replacement motor. Do you think the old and the new version will work together or should I change both of them. im thinking if they have different power it will not be good. and the price for new version is insane I EU 99 euro x 2. = 246 US . is there other motor you can recommend for stock setup ( ESC ).

No, I would not use one of each motor. If they do warranty the old motor, they would most likely send you a new 3831 as a replacement, as that's what others here in the US have received. Perhaps you can justify that they send you two new motors since they won't be able to supply a single, compatible replacement. There are lots of other compatible alternatives, many of which have been used in this thread, but I've only used the two Dynamites in my own boat so far.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

No, I would not use one of each motor. If they do warranty the old motor, they would most likely send you a new 3831 as a replacement, as that's what others here in the US have received. Perhaps you can justify that they send you two new motors since they won't be able to supply a single, compatible replacement. There are lots of other compatible alternatives, many of which have been used in this thread, but I've only used the two Dynamites in my own boat so far.
    Thank I really appreciate your help. :-) Just send you a PM.

The 3910 motors are easily burned up in the Zelos 36 due to the nature of the mounts being prone to shifting with the slightest bump. I speculate that you had one misaligned (as Travis mentioned above) just enough to overwork the other one and burn it up. My first few runs you will notice if you watched my early on videos what I would do right after a run, and if you haven't seen or watch them, I'll tell you lol! I would feel for heat in the stuffing tubes and if there is was any or if white smoke was present, the motors got adjusted until I got a true center lineup then I marked my mounts with a paint pen so I could easily tell if the motors shift. I have seen a motor from another member on here where their motor had a foreign object in the windings and it was causing just enough friction to cause it to overheat and let go. Let me follow up on weasel's answer of not running a 3831 with a 3910....The answer is clear...NO don't do it!! Because you WILL burn the 3831 up on the first pass. The 3831 motor is a much stronger motor and will be the main "pulling" source if paired with the 3910 motor. There is one option for you in my opinion and that is to change both with the 3831's and never look back. You won't even think of having any kind of heat issues if you keep the prop size under a 1814 (a 1716 is preferred). Sell your one good 3910 motor and put the money towards another 3831 if Horizon only replaces one motor. One last thing...this boat must be kept on plane and moving at least 30mph or the electronics won't be getting enough water for proper cooling. No stop and go joy riding with this boat. Good luck with it!
    Last edited by MADRCER; 04-05-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

[QUOTE=MADRCER;713159]I have seen a motor from another member on here where their motor had a foreign object in the windings and it was causing just enough friction to cause it to overheat and let go. QUOTE]

Yeah, that was me. I burned up a 3910 motor, when I opened it up this is what I found inside. Looks like a piece of a small zip tie. Cant imagine how that got in there. One thing for sure, I didn't put it in there. In any case, Horizon warrantied me 2 new 3831's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyp View Post
    Yeah, that was me. I burned up a 3910 motor, when I opened it up this is what I found inside. Looks like a piece of a small zip tie. Cant imagine how that got in there. One thing for sure, I didn't put it in there. In any case, Horizon warrantied me 2 new 3831's.
    Oh man, I don't remember seeing that picture. Quite the autopsy. Let's hope dealing with Horizon Germany pans out the same way.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

[QUOTE=vinnyp;713170]
    Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    I have seen a motor from another member on here where their motor had a foreign object in the windings and it was causing just enough friction to cause it to overheat and let go. QUOTE]

Danm That looks worse than mine. Happy to hear you got 2 new ones.

Oh man, I don't remember seeing that picture. Quite the autopsy. Let's hope dealing with Horizon Germany pans out the same way.
    I dont think I ever posted those pictures before. Funny thing is when that 3910 burned up, the 3831's were on back order. Rather than wait around, particularly since it was during the summer, I ordered a pair of 3930's. Been running them since. When Horizon had the 3831's in stock, they sent them out to me. The 3831's are still in the box on the shelf.

Well I happy to report that Horizon germany do give warranty on my burn out right side motor. So now I just wait for second one to arrive by mail.

zelos motor.jpg

Great news...

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyp View Post
    Great news...
    yup.

Prepered - When you get both new motors, be sure to try and orient the cooling jackets so that the forward cooling barb is as close to the 12:00 position as the install allows. You'll get more water in the jacket that way and better cooling. I switched to 90* fittings on the rear jacket inputs to get more clearance near the hull.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast