Page 75 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2430

Thread: The official 36" zelos twin modding thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Ok that weight does not sound bad at all then.
    do you have some 2 blades to try out?
    can you shift your cg back some?
    Yes I can shift the packs back. Right now, they are as far forward as possible. However, it tends to ride best with the weight forward. I have a set of ABC 1814's that I have ran before. They gave me an additional 5 mph or so. I want to try them out again on my next run.

Vinny Im still waiting fror my ABC order to get here I did not forget about you

I ran the same 3blade props on the Poseidon setup. They didn’t gain any speed over Dasboatas 2 blade 1815s. Not only that but they liked to carry the front end more. You should get easier tuning with the two blade as well as less strain.

Thanks Chris. Looking forward to comparing a set of your props to mine. That short first test showed a couple mph increase with yours We'll see what happens with more testing. Unfortunately, it seems we would have better luck finding plutonium than abc props!!

Erroneous. Thanks for the tips. I am going to try my 1814s on my next run.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyp View Post
    Thanks Chris. Looking forward to comparing a set of your props to mine. That short first test showed a couple mph increase with yours We'll see what happens with more testing. Unfortunately, it seems we would have better luck finding plutonium than abc props!!
    chris makes a hell of a prop stick with his vers self b/s
    Zelos 36 stock 68 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Team Lucas View Post
    chris makes a hell of a prop stick with his vers self b/s
    I did it for 1 set of 1814's Wanted to compare prep work. I doubt I would do that again. Personally, I like to do my own work. That way win or lose, its mine. Besides, its the only way to learn anything. But that's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by vinnyp; 10-24-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Personally, I like to do my own work. That way if win or loose, its mine. Besides, its the only way to learn anything. But that's my 2 cents.
    I admire your ambition. It's a skill I hope to acquire one day, but for now, I'm happy to pay others for their time.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I did it for 1 set of 1814's Wanted to compare prep work. I doubt I would do that again. Personally, I like to do my own work. That way if win or loose, its mine. Besides, its the only way to learn anything. But that's my 2 cents.
    Agreed... It’s about learning skills, making your boat faster thru your own thoughts and actions. I’m with you Vinny!

Default 90mph Zelos

I triple agree! Chris is the best in the business in my opinion and without him I would have never got my best speed to date (90mph or 89.7mph whichever GPS one wants to go by) this afternoon in-between the rain showers! Thank You again Chris for the umpteenth time! It had to be the shirt this time!

102417 Zelos 90mph.JPG 102417 zelos2..JPG Zelos 90mph 10-24-17..JPG
    Last edited by MADRCER; 01-19-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added pic
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

90 mph.....Now that's smokin'

Finally i had some free time and proceed with replacing the stock motor mounts with some CF that i made.First of all i want to say a big thank you to Michael or as known in the forum as lt130th for his time and the trouble making the templates and then send the drawings to me via email.After the cutting and small adjustments to make em fit in my zelos i glue them in place with chopped CF and resin.Also i ended up removing half of the plastic mounts that are glued on the boat(only reason was because i didn't like the look of them together with the new mounts) and filled the gap with some CF. The finished Mounts are rock solid now and in my opinion the inside of the boat looks a lot better now.Also replaced the stock collets with some new ones from aeromarine (had them on my last run and i have to say they are a huge improvment) new 4mm cooling lines and few other thinks here and there.Some photos

The first look with just the mounts in place.
    20171211_122808.jpg

With the gap from the old motor mount filled.
    20171212_084942.jpg

With the motors installed.
    20171212_104413_HDR.jpg20171212_104702.jpg
    Genesis 36", Zelos Twin 36"

Some more photos with everything installed.
    20171212_155515.jpg 20171212_155526.jpg 20171212_155552_HDR.jpg

Nice work. Those new mounts should add some rigidity to the sides of the hatch opening as well.

The only other thing I'd change would be to put some 90* nipples on the motor cooling cans so that you can orient the top outlet as close to 12 o'clock as possible. The one on your right motor isn't that far off, but your left motor outlet is really low. The more water you can keep filled into the jackets, the better.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by lt130th View Post

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Nice work. Those new mounts should add some rigidity to the sides of the hatch opening as well.

The only other thing I'd change would be to put some 90* nipples on the motor cooling cans so that you can orient the top outlet as close to 12 o'clock as possible. The one on your right motor isn't that far off, but your left motor outlet is really low. The more water you can keep filled into the jackets, the better.
    Agree with you 100%.When i place an order for something new the 90* nipples will also be in that order for sure now as for the left water jacket unfortunately it just dosen't move..i tryed to move it so it will be at 12 o clock but at some point i was feeling that something is going to break so i prefered to just leave it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stratus View Post

Agree with you 100%.When i place an order for something new the 90* nipples will also be in that order for sure now as for the left water jacket unfortunately it just dosen't move..i tryed to move it so it will be at 12 o clock but at some point i was feeling that something is going to break so i prefered to just leave it like that.
    Once you get some mineral deposits on the O-rings, they can definitely get locked in place over time. I've found that if I bolted the old L shaped motor mounts on and placed the mount into the jaws of a bench vice, I was able to rotate the cans by hand and clock them into the position I wanted. I suppose a little heat from something like a hair dryer might not hurt either.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Took the motor off today again mounted that on the old motor mount grabed it on the vice,used a hair dryer to heat it for like 10-15 mins and then tryed to turn it...lol no way!!I start to believe that this think is glued or something.Anyway i am going to leave it like that for now.I learned in the past that if something don't want to come out and i am keep on trying it allways end up bad lol

Took the motor off today again mounted that on the old motor mount grabed it on the vice,used a hair dryer to heat it for like 10-15 mins and then tryed to turn it...lol no way!!I start to believe that this think is glued or something.Anyway i am going to leave it like that for now.I learned in the past that if something don't want to come out and i am keep on trying it allways end up bad lol
    I have used a little 70% Isopropyl Alcohol around the orings before to help loosen the can on the motor.

I learned in the past that if something don't want to come out and i am keep on trying it allways end up bad lol
    Very wise! Maybe try the alcohol idea Revolt suggested. I bet the saltwater is not helping you on this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolt Flash View Post
    I have used a little 70% Isopropyl Alcohol around the orings before to help loosen the can on the motor.
    I will defiantly give this a try soon hoping it will help thanks for the tip! Btw I start to miss my zelos decals (i had them removed) any one knows where we can get just the decals? I can't find them anywhere..(sorry for the off-topic)

I've never seen the decals available separately, only already installed on new replacement hulls. I bet someone could make new ones from vinyl though. Try contacting monojeff.

Ever since I put in those 3930 motors, I have been concerned about the stock Zelos motor mount ripping out. These motors are 40mm x 68mm . Some 5mm wider and 12mm longer than stock. Regardless of how tight I make those 2 little screws in the rear mount, the motors would move around during some of the acrobatics this boat took. I know acrobatics are not what we are looking for, but inevitably it will happen. I searched for a front mount that may work, but didn't find one that I thought would work and be accessible. So, I came up with this idea. I ordered the rings from OSE, I made up the plates myself. The bottom plate will get epoxied and glassed in place in the hull. The plate and ring on the motor stays with the motor. Once the motor is slid into place, the 2 get bolted together. The motor can still be aligned by the movement between the 2 plates, as well as movement between the ring and the bracket. It will take a bit of doing, however, I feel that once I get it aligned, it will be the last time I have to align it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vinnyp; 12-17-2017 at 04:10 PM.

I think that will definitely solve your movement problem Vinny. Bottom plate looks like maybe it's a little beefier/heavier than needed? I would imagine the weight really won't matter. I'm just used to seeing a lot of minimal design and carbon plate when it comes to rear motor supports.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I think that will definitely solve your movement problem Vinny. Bottom plate looks like maybe it's a little beefier/heavier than needed? I would imagine the weight really won't matter. I'm just used to seeing a lot of minimal design and carbon plate when it comes to rear motor supports.
    You are correct. The bottom plate is much beefier than needed. However, I needed to take up the space between the hull and bottom of the motor. I also need something that can be bolted in while the motor is tucked in the hull. As you know, space and maneuverability is at a premium in this boat.

true, function dictates form in this scenario.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I got to finish up the mounts for the 3930's in my Zelos. They worked well and easy enough to get the motors aligned. I am certain that these new mounts will definitely do the job. If anything, they are overkill. It wont win any beauty contest, but its all I could come up that would work in that small space we have.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got to finish up the mounts for the 3930's in my Zelos. They worked well and easy enough to get the motors aligned. I am certain that these new mounts will definitely do the job. If anything, they are overkill. It wont win any beauty contest, but its all I could come up that would work in that small space we have.
    Thumbs up Vin !!!

Nice work Vinny. Clock those water jackets while the motors are loose. I'm going to install some rear mounts on my new motors over the winter as well and I don't see them being as easy to use as yours.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I know this is the modding thread, but has anyone had this happen to them? It is very strange to me that my boat would rip in half by catching air and landing back down causing it to rip at the seam.

Page 75 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast